Black ipa

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

simcoe26

Reaction score
Just want some feedback on this recipe.

It's a 3 gallon recipe.

6.5 lbs golden promise
.5 crystal 10
.2 black patent malt
.2 chocolate malt

Srm about 28

1oz chinook at 60
1oz chinook flame out
1oz chinook dry hop 5 days in for 4 days

Og 1.062
Fg 1.015

Wlp 001.

Mash rest at 129 for 30
Mash rest at 152 for 30
Mash out

Since you've posted this in the BIAB forum, I'll assume you are going to do this batch BIAB. You can probably skip the mash rest of 129 as most malts are well modified and won't really need that rest. It makes the brewing much easier with only a single rest. Mash out isn't necessary either, just pull the bag of grains out and start heating the wort toward the boil. Get your grains milled as fine as you can, perhaps double milled. With that done, your efficiency will be fairly high so you probably don't need as much Golden Promise. Start with about 4 gallons of water at strike temp and then do a small amount of sparge to get to your pre-boil amount. I'd expect your efficiency to be between 75 and 80% with the finely milled grains and a sparge.

I like to use Carafa lll and a bit of Midnight wheat in place of black or chocolate malts in a Black IPA. It gives you the dark color without the roastiness and let's the hops come through more.

Personally I don't feel that chocolate has any place in a black IPA. The best black IPAs I've had tasted very similar to their pale counterparts, except with a bare hint of roast.

I like to use Carafa lll and a bit of Midnight wheat in place of black or chocolate malts in a Black IPA. It gives you the dark color without the roastiness and let's the hops come through more.

I'd second this, except I'd add that the carafa does add some roastiness, but just without the bitter, astringent taste that traditional chocolate/black malts can give off. To me its always been a similar taste to cold-brewing coffee overnight in the fridge vs fresh brewed. But it does lend itself nicely to a black IPA. Good luck.

See when I make a black ipa I don't want it to be just a black version of a ipa. I want some roast and chocolate. Think Avery s new world porter. If you've had the pleasure.

Are you going for a hyper-hopped porter or stout? (these are really what BIPA's are). Your's looks more like a stout based IPA. It looks fine. If you want more of a porter based IPA, try just base malt and carafa III. Stout based IPAs tend to fight with themselves over where the flavor really wants to go. I did mine as a stout based IPA and while it was good, it wasn't as good as it could have been if I had gone the porter based IPA route.

Hhhmm...

I was just playing around with a BIPA recipe earlier tonight. Thanks to the thoughts in this thread, I've made some changes.

I would say in between porter and stout. Going for a little today and chocolate but no dark fruit. I am going the flavors won't fight to much since I only did a 60 a 0 and a dry hop addition. I am also hoping that the spiciness of chinook will play well. I brewed this recipe this past Sunday so I'll keep everyone updated. #signpost glad I started a post that hopefully turns into a good beer for you

So after this was nice and carbed. I realized basically all of you were right and this was to much roast. I think next time I will eliminate both dark malts And just use .25 carafa 3

So after this was nice and carbed. I realized basically all of you were right and this was to much roast. I think next time I will eliminate both dark malts And just use .25 carafa 3

You may want to add a little Chocolate Malt, just to give it a little more color and try Carafa II. Personally, I think Carafa III has a little too much of a burnt taste to it. The dark malts are fine, you just don't need very much of any of them. I think for my porter and BIPA, I only used 2 ounces of Chocolate Malt and Black Patent for the color. Also, Steeping them while you sparge will give you more color than anything else.

Latest posts

Back