50 quart pot

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hairymare

Reaction score
I have an 8 gallon kettle, very nice and heavy. I really appreciate it. I want to upgrade to brew 5 gallon BIAB, beers. I like my beers stronger than session beers. I like the Concord heavy duty pots, but they are sized 50 and 80 quart sizes. Do you think I will regret not having a 60 quart sized pot? they sell a lighter weight inexpensive 60 quart pot, but, I enjoy heavy bottomed pots. I don't want to have to purchase a third brew pot. Haha
Just curious, been reading, but have a sale and coupon.
Thanks,
Yvette
Psi really want the or a heavy duty pot.

I say get what you want and you will be happiest. I think 50 quart is fine for 5 gallon BIAB batches. I used a 40 quart with BIAB up to 19 lbs of grain with a 5 gallon batch and it worked great. I did sparge after pulling the bag with that batch due to volume in the pot was to high with that much grain in the mash.

Last edited by a moderator:
These are what I am looking at. The first one has a steamer insert, not an insert but like a false bottom. It's 50 quarts. The second link is much less exspensive but it doesn't have a heavy bottom, and it's 60 quarts and no steamer tray.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/200950525600

http://www.ebay.com/itm/141115126841?var=440208107661

Ebay for some reason sent me a coupon. :ban:
I just was concerned with the 12.5 gallon capacity versus the 15 gallon. I want to be done after this. I had been thinking of doing 3 gallon batches indoors in the winter but spring is coming and I have a nice burner and I already know I'll be bummed not being able to make the larger volume. My eight gallon kettle has 1.2 mm thick walls and a heavy bottom and I love it. Just wish I started out larger. Thanks for your replies.

I pulled the plug and go it for $118.56. I think for me it's a good choice. Should be as heavy as my other pot. I'll do a comparison when I get it. No spigot but maybe I'll install one. I might boil in my eight gallon kettle and use this one to mash with. I know it's not the brew in the bag way.

I don't know why ebay sent me a coupon , 15 percent off 75 or more dollars but a couple of weeks ago I put a few different variations of kettles in my cart and than they sent me the coupon, and than the kettles went on sale, 10 percent. And there was no problem combining.

Thanks for your responses.

Back