Making Traditional rice Wine. Cheap, Fun, and Different

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hey.... I just found this. It's from a website about brewing makgeolli, but I'm wondering if the math applies to us in some way.

From: http://cheotsool.blogspot.com/p/making-drinking-and-enjoying-makgeolli.html?m=1

A quote:
"If we observe carefully, the fermentation of alcohol theoretically produces a certain volume of alcohol as in the following explanation.

100 kg of starch (111 kg if converted from sugar, about 139 kg if converted from rice) makes about 71.5 liters of pure alcohol, and the alcohol fermentation process, as well as the amount produced, is shown in the following figure."

(Chart is on the page itself.)

Could we use math do deduce a theoretical ABV using these numbers? Or would they only apply to makgeolli?

I'm trying an experiment where I use second-run sparge wort to cook the rice in, then I'll proceed as usual. I'll post results.

The wort-rice experiment is fermenting. There are *strong* alcohol heat vapors coming off the fermenter, and no hint of sweetness like the normal rice batches.

Just tasted some of my way-too-tart-and-chalky RYR batch, which I bulk pasteurized and bottled with oxy-block beer caps in amber bottles. It settled out completely so there's a thick layer of sediment at the bottom. The top is almost perfectly clear and tastes *awesome*.

So if you think your batch isn't very good, pasteurize it, bottle it, and age it for a bit. You might be pleasantly surprised! ^_^

The wort-rice experiment is fermenting. There are *strong* alcohol heat vapors coming off the fermenter, and no hint of sweetness like the normal rice batches.

Brilliant idea. I'm very curious about how this will turn out.

Just tasted some of my way-too-tart-and-chalky RYR batch, which I bulk pasteurized and bottled with oxy-block beer caps in amber bottles. It settled out completely so there's a thick layer of sediment at the bottom. The top is almost perfectly clear and tastes *awesome*.

So if you think your batch isn't very good, pasteurize it, bottle it, and age it for a bit. You might be pleasantly surprised! ^_^

Always good advice. I had to adjust the amount of RYR a few times to avoid the chalky texture you experienced. Unfortunately, I never gave it a chance and tossed it. Live and learn.

On a side note, I need to get back into making this and other brews. I'm dealing with personal crap for a few months and it's really getting in the way of what I used to call my "normal" routine. OK, rant over. ;)

I think it might turn out like soju. Smells just like it. I'll post more when it hits day 21, but the fumes could knock out a horse. XD

Always good advice. I had to adjust the amount of RYR a few times to avoid the chalky texture you experienced. Unfortunately, I never gave it a chance and tossed it. Live and learn.

On a side note, I need to get back into making this and other brews. I'm dealing with personal crap for a few months and it's really getting in the way of what I used to call my "normal" routine. OK, rant over. ;)

I'm really enjoying this. I've got two different batches going, my wort experiment, and a batch of makgeolli that I just made this afternoon. If I couldn't rationalize this so well, I'd be worried that I have a problem. :p

Thanks for getting me started, Jak! :)

I was making ramen and didn't have Mirin or Sake so I used this rice wine. Worked great.

This is why I'm making a monster 5-gallon batch. Some of it (ok, I won't lie, most of it) I'll drink, but I also want to have decent cooking wine around that doesn't cost $7 for 750 ml. It doesn't seem like much, but I cook a lot and it adds up.

I was making ramen and didn't have Mirin or Sake so I used this rice wine. Worked great.
http://abc7.com/traffic/ramen-noodles-scattered-all-over-nc-highway-after-crash/484714/
I thought you added water and salt;)

As I'm I, Jason I hope all is well, we've been drinking without you:D
I'm trying an experiment where I use second-run sparge wort to cook the rice in, then I'll proceed as usual. I'll post results.
I see no reason this won't work,I use wort,beer in my breads and food all the time. Waste not want not, why use water when you can flavor;)

Question -
Has anyone tested effect of bottling early (earlier than 3 weeks)?
Is the result less volume, less alcohol, higher sugar, worse flavor, none?
How about the opposite - effects of waiting 4 weeks, 5 weeks more?

I'm going away this weekend and Saturday is 21 days exact - I'd like to bottle tonight, but not if it won't be "right".

I use rice wine and the lees a lot.
It seems that most Chine recipes I come across include Chinese rice wine.
And there are many recipes that use the lees. So don't throw away all the lees when done.

The lees work just as well as the wine and in some cases even better.
The lees act like a thickener and are great for marinating meats, fish, tofu, ...

The lees mixed with soy sauce and various amounts of five spice powder, ginger and garlic are universally good for many popular chinese recipes.

Question -
Has anyone tested effect of bottling early (earlier than 3 weeks)?
Is the result less volume, less alcohol, higher sugar, worse flavor, none?
How about the opposite - effects of waiting 4 weeks, 5 weeks more?

I'm going away this weekend and Saturday is 21 days exact - I'd like to bottle tonight, but not if it won't be "right".

Bottling early will pretty much require pasteurizing, since there will still be enough sugar for the yeast to eat and create CO2. (Potential bottle bombs if not pasteurized at this point.) It will also be sweeter and less alcoholic.

Going longer will make it stronger and drier, and much less sweet. I accidentally let a batch go to 4 weeks and it was still a little sweet, but it was *strong*. Too much drier and it would have probably required back sweetening/aging/dilution to be palatable for me and my husband. (It was already too dry for his tastes.)

I never harvest off of the lees in less than 5 weeks. I want it finished mashing and fermenting so it is still, plus I like it drier rather than sweet. You can leave it as long as you want and end up with a good result, or harvest earlier and have a sweet wine that is carbonated or pasteurized.

Can someone tell me what page has instructions to pasteurize? I've seen it done in single bottles but this is interesting. I have a few gallons that have been sitting in my fridge and they are real carbonated and a super thick layer of lees that rises to the top when I open bottles.

To bulk pasteurize, I sterilize bottles, then pour the strained wine into a pot and slowly bring the whole batch up to 145 degrees. Then you have to hold it there for 15 minutes, so I turn the heat down to its lowest setting and cover with a very clean lid. After that, I let it cool down so I can ladle it into the sterilized bottles and I cap them. You have to watch it so it won't boil, but that method has worked for me so far. This method won't keep your carbonation tho, so you have to want still wine at the end of the process.

So, I harvested and drank the cous cous wine. We had enough for about 2 glasses of the stuff.

Thoughts... apple-juice quality in the nose and the taste. A little sulphury (but not a lot). Sour, more yellow than the rice wine. Thick as all get out. I will likely try again, but not 100% certain that practice makes perfect on this.

I had my first (ever) dumper with my crock of rice wine...the cheesecloth fell in when the elastic broke and I got a good vinegar mother layer.
I knew from the smell it was wrong and the bile taste confirmed it.
I use about 6 ounces of vinegar a year, so this all went down the drain.

At least it was inexpensive.

I had my first (ever) dumper with my crock of rice wine...the cheesecloth fell in when the elastic broke and I got a good vinegar mother layer.
I knew from the smell it was wrong and the bile taste confirmed it.
I use about 6 ounces of vinegar a year, so this all went down the drain.

At least it was inexpensive.

I think you need to use more vinegar:D

^^^^

I prefer lacto fermented pickles, but Vietnamese rice wine pickles are awesome, and pretty quick.

Rice wine vinegar works great for pickling all kinds of vegetables.
Peppers, onions, cabbage, ...

Works great in salad dressing, BBQ sauce, marinades, ...
I haven't tried it to pickle eggs yet, but hope to try soon.

I said this 21 days ago

Whew, first batch in the gallon sized glass container, 100 pages of this thread under my belt. Not perfect. Used HET sweet rice soaked 6 cups added 12 cups water(would have used only 9 cups water but I wasn't that far through the thread at that time). Tried to boil but scorched the pan, took forever to cool down, maybe a bit too wet, used five crushed balls(started with four but ran out before I ran out of rice layers). Guessin we'll find out.

Today this is my opinion
Over 2.5 qts of milky liquid. Definitely strong, a bit sour, a bit sweet? Not vinegar. Wife thinks tastes like her memories of cheap sake. Im more like using it for cooking wine once I decant. We'll let it sit in the fridge, pasteurize when I get the chance, if wife don't drink it all first.
I did peel off a very light grayish moldy layer a week ago, a bit like a mother, a bit like jelly.
Im trying again but this stuff better grow on me. Next time, less water in boil, going for four weeks.

Oh yeah, on page 415 of the thread too.

Last edited:
I said this 21 days ago

Whew, first batch in the gallon sized glass container, 100 pages of this thread under my belt. Not perfect. Used HET sweet rice soaked 6 cups added 12 cups water(would have used only 9 cups water but I wasn't that far through the thread at that time). Tried to boil but scorched the pan, took forever to cool down, maybe a bit too wet, used five crushed balls(started with four but ran out before I ran out of rice layers). Guessin we'll find out.

Today this is my opinion

Over 2.5 qts of milky liquid. Definitely strong, a bit sour, a bit sweet? Not vinegar. Wife thinks tastes like her memories of cheap sake. Im more like using it for cooking wine once I decant. We'll let it sit in the fridge, pasteurize when I get the chance, if wife don't drink it all first.

I did peel off a very light grayish moldy layer a week ago, a bit like a mother, a bit like jelly.

Im trying again but this stuff better grow on me. Next time, less water in boil, going for four weeks.

If it doesn't grow on you 1) try mixing it with fruit juices 2) at least the SWMBO likes it so it's cheap and easy to make for her.

I said this 21 days ago

Today this is my opinion

The grey jelly was what looked different for me in my dumper batch from the liquid love of previous batches...
I don't think that is "right" - my guess is acetobacter.

Just bottled a 2.5 kg (dry) rice batch. It is fabulous. I set it all up and sealed it in a 5-gallon beer fermenter for exactly 21 days. There was a cap of floating rice at the top, but it didn't seem to affect the final product. In fact, the cap made straining easier! I poured the liquid through two sterilized paint straining bags (one inside the other) then dumped the cap and squeezed the hell out of it. Bulk pasteurized, bottled, and now I'm trying to decide if I should age any of it or just drink it all.

I honestly didn't bother with trying to mix everything together perfectly. At the time, I only could cook 3 cups dry at once, so I just did layers and threw them loosely into a sterilized fermenter as they cooled, then sprinkled some of the starter over each layer. Then I sealed the whole thing up tight and didn't touch it until it was time to bottle. (I think this is key. The batches I futz with turn out weird. *The ones I leave alone turn out great.*)

My yield from 2.5 kg dry rice at a 1:1 rice:water ratio was 156 ounces. I'd put the ABV somewhere around 16-18% by taste. I could probably drive that a bit higher, but we prefer it on the sweeter side, so I bottle at three weeks instead of four.

Just bottled a 2.5 kg (dry) rice batch. It is fabulous. I set it all up and sealed it in a 5-gallon beer fermenter for exactly 21 days. There was a cap of floating rice at the top, but it didn't seem to affect the final product. In fact, the cap made straining easier! I poured the liquid through two sterilized paint straining bags (one inside the other) then dumped the cap and squeezed the hell out of it. Bulk pasteurized, bottled, and now I'm trying to decide if I should age any of it or just drink it all.

I honestly didn't bother with trying to mix everything together perfectly. At the time, I only could cook 3 cups dry at once, so I just did layers and threw them loosely into a sterilized fermenter as they cooled, then sprinkled some of the starter over each layer. Then I sealed the whole thing up tight and didn't touch it until it was time to bottle. (I think this is key. The batches I futz with turn out weird. *The ones I leave alone turn out great.*)

My yield from 2.5 kg dry rice at a 1:1 rice:water ratio was 156 ounces. I'd put the ABV somewhere around 16-18% by taste. I could probably drive that a bit higher, but we prefer it on the sweeter side, so I bottle at three weeks instead of four.

lol your still awesome...drink much?

lol your still awesome...drink much?

Thanks!

We have consumed every batch (with the exception of the RYR batch that required aging to be palatable) within a week of making it. I'm hoping this batch will last a bit longer than that. It feels stronger (I'm assuming because of the added sugar) so we probably should drink it more slowly. *sage nod*

I set aside four bottles and hid them well. Hopefully I'll be able to hold on to one of them for a year to see what this stuff is like aged. I may have to pick up a few more five gallon buckets and have a couple going at once.

I may also have to figure out some kind of press. My forearms are getting scary. (Great for grip strength, though!) ;p

Thanks!

We have consumed every batch (with the exception of the RYR batch that required aging to be palatable) within a week of making it. I'm hoping this batch will last a bit longer than that. It feels stronger (I'm assuming because of the added sugar) so we probably should drink it more slowly. *sage nod*

I set aside four bottles and hid them well. Hopefully I'll be able to hold on to one of them for a year to see what this stuff is like aged. I may have to pick up a few more five gallon buckets and have a couple going

Good luck with that...I have had no success. The only batch I have managed to save a couple of liters from was my Thai pepper wine. Even my meads cannot make it past four months.

started a 5 lb dry jasmine rice batch, can't wait to try what the jasmine produces.

started a 5 lb dry jasmine rice batch, can't wait to try what the jasmine produces.

Same!

I have yet to splurge on an all-Jasmine batch. I have read that it's the superior rice for flavor, but maybe a little less yield than sweet rice. Let us know how it goes! :)

Aldi's has 5 pound bags of jasmine rice for $5.

I bought a bag a few days ago; gonna start a half-sweet and half-jasmine batch this week so it can be doing its thing while Wife and I are out of town for 2 weeks.

I just pressed my 1/5/2015 ferment of simple sweet rice last night. Not quite a gallon but enough. Tasted sour and slightly bitter but pleasant. I read people here flavor theirs so I'm not sure I did this correctly but I tossed in about 1lb frozen raspberries and blueberries into a gallon carboy and tossed an airlock on it. It's sitting in room temps.

Thoughts? Will there be enough yeast to eat this new fruit?

Just ordered 2 lbs of yeast balls from these guys http://www dot ontoyeast dot ca to try making my first batch of rice wine. Can't wait very excited for this.

Quick question for veterans of this recipe:

Would it be possible to add more rice to my current batch that's still working? My current batch has just started to separate (noticeable liquid layer in the middle) in the last day or so).

Pros/Cons?

Quick question for veterans of this recipe:

Would it be possible to add more rice to my current batch that's still working?
Pros/Cons?

I did this because I didn't have enough rice to fill my fermentation bucket.
I started the batch and then added more steamed rice with yeast ball powder two days later after getting more rice.

I didn't notice any difference.

I did this because I didn't have enough rice to fill my fermentation bucket.
I started the batch and then added more steamed rice with yeast ball powder two days later after getting more rice.

I didn't notice any difference.

Same here. I've done this up to a week after starting the batch. Thing is, I've also extended the harvest time 1 week. Good results and same as always. :)

Back