Strainer need for RIMS setup

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jakeintoledo

Reaction score
I've built a brewing rig that uses a RIMS system, and this weekend's brew session saw a failure of the false bottom; needless to say, I had to disassemble the plumbing and clean out a RIMS tube that was PACKED with grain.

Does anyone have a recommendation for a stainless steel strainer mechanism to put inline upstream of the pump, that's 1/2npt sized and relatively easy to empty if the need arises?

I know a properly-working false bottom should preclude any problems, but in the event I do, I'd like some insurance.

I think your best bet is to understand why your false bottom isn't working correctly and fix that. I foresee a clogged strainer if you go the route you are suggesting.

Are you running you pump while you dough in? I tried that once and found a lot of grain in my rims tube afterwards.

I have also found that my false bottom doesn't fit as snug as it used to and I get particles through it until the grain bed settles. My current process is to turn off the rims tube and pump before I dough in. After I dough in I open my valve all the way and drain a gallon or so into a small bucket. A lot of grain comes out at first and draining it quickly causes the grain bed to settle and prevent lots of grain coming through once I start up the pump. From here I connect the pump back up, start circulating and finally turn on the rims tube.

crane--

I suspect you're correct in terms of a strainer. my intent when posting this would be to put the strainer in an easily-accessible way into my plumbing, which would be more easily-maintained than tearing my plumbing apart and cleaning out my RIMS tube.

Upon further investigation, I found you were right; my false bottom was letting material by in a way that I don't think it should, and have since fixed the problem.

Not sure what is available at your LHBS but here is my mash tun/false bottom
196176d1398711165-keggle-recirculation-port-question-dscn1094-001.jpg

Back