Electric Brewing Supply 30A BCS Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Community > Brewing Events & Local Gatherings > International > Home brewing in Japan

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-16-2013, 12:59 AM   #271
12ozrebel
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

I will have to check out Antenna America the next time I head to Yokohama. Went up there last week and didnt even get a chance to stop off and get any Micro Brew Goodness. Maybe this weekend.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-16-2013, 06:08 AM   #272
surume
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 9

I will be checking out Antenna America around 6pm today. Say hi if you spot a guy wearing glasses, a black coat, jeans and a burgundy scarf.

Old 02-19-2013, 11:35 AM   #273
mpearce
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts
Likes Given: 7

Just went to Craft Beer Market. Well worth you time. 20 beers on tap, all Japan crafts. Cheaper than anywhere else I have been and good food too. Only 10 minute walk from my office so that is a huge bonus. Will be at good beer faucets tomorrow night though stop by and say hello.

Old 02-21-2013, 10:06 AM   #274
mpearce
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts
Likes Given: 7

Thinking about trying a mead. Any good recommendations and recipes?

Old 02-21-2013, 03:43 PM   #275
WhoZiT
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by mpearce
Thinking about trying a mead. Any good recommendations and recipes?
I've been wondering, too. I've been here so long I don't even know what it's supposed to taste like. I tried a commercial cider here and it was nothing like ciders or apfelwein that I've had in the past. I tried a commercial mead and was really turned off, but I would totally expect a real mead to be completely different.

There are kits/kit honey I've seen before. Ideally, i'd want to try local honey, but it's insanely expensive. Chinese honey? What yeast is commonly used?

--------------------------------------------------

"Don't sweat the petty things and don't pet the sweaty things." --George Carlin

Old 02-23-2013, 12:21 PM   #276
surume
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

Costco has honey for a more affordable price, not local stuff though.
There is a store in Kyoto that sells polish mead and they sell online as well, if you're into thicker meads then I'd recommend it.

Old 02-28-2013, 10:07 AM   #277
OppamaBrendan
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 21 Times on 16 Posts
Likes Given: 28

Default Cheese and a friend's brew session

Still have been putting off making another brew these days, but I have excuses! I started another food hobby I had been meaning to try for a while; cheese! I have done a few batches now and will do another tomorrow night. It takes less work than an all grain beer so for these days when I have had less opportunity to brew it will have to do.

A friend invited me to hang out on his brew day this week! I have never watched anyone brew before and there were some good tips for me to learn. He was very organized with his workflow, starting the strike water heating, then grinding the grain (double roller is so much faster than my corona mill!), then pre-heating the mash tun. A digital thermometer with a temperature alarm is cheap and great to have so you don't need to watch the pot! Mashing in was straightforward, 15 minutes before the mash was done the sparge water started heating. He was batch sparging, and verlof'ed a few liters for each batch (initial, and 2 rinses). While running off the wort for each sparge he checked the brix reading with a refractometer (I am definitely getting one now!). Straight away he got the wort on the stove to get up to boil temp, and once there put his first hops in a hop spider and we sat down for a pint to wait. He keeps a rolling boil but not a vigorous one and was not worried about a boil over. Unfortunately the timer hadn't started so we ended up estimating the 30 minute addition, and may have been a bit too early as the final gravity was a touch lighter than predicted. While chilling the wort he used the hot water return to wash his mash tun! Great idea! I had to head home so I missed out on pitching the yeast. Good times!
Oh, forgot to mention the style was an ESB.

Here is a photo of my mozzarella and the aftermath of the brew session.
https://plus.google.com/photos/11232...Pie_L__o5XPwQE

Old 03-02-2013, 11:05 AM   #278
surume
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

Recently I did a batch with the Asahi Beer Malt's English Ale Malt. Their grind is really fine, and it leaves a lot of sludge at the bottom of your mash tun. There really is no point in sparging this stuff, so it makes mashing easier in a way, but it also means you go through your malts faster. I'm not sure on the taste, but the 10 litre batch of SMaSH with the English Ale Malts and Fuggle hop pellets should be ready to drink and I will post thoughts on it pretty soon.

Chief brewer of Yokohama Brewery agreed on the fine grind, and told me that was the reason he doesn't use malts from Asahi.

On another note, I will be moving to Higashi Kanagawa station at the end of this month and the place I will be living in is really small. I suppose I can still find place for fermenting and stuff, but there is only room for 1 pot on the cooking stove, and I was wondering if it was possible to brew in such a small kitchen.

I am wondering if it is possible to brew in such an environment, and if anyone has similar experiences, would like to hear them. I may have to consider leaving my brewing equipment at my parent's house, although I don't want to (for obvious reasons

Old 03-03-2013, 06:13 AM   #279
tektonjp
Recipes 

Liked 63 Times on 43 Posts
Likes Given: 55

OB, where did you get the rennin? Just use regular milk?

Surume, the asahi malt is quite nice, IMO. I do the grind myself, though. Not sure why the grind would make you go through malts faster. If anything, a finer grind will give more efficiency, and thus less grain needed.

Yokohama doesn't grind their own? Surprised.

"Beer, well respected and rightly consumed, can be a gift of God. It is one of his mysteries, which it was his delight to conceal and the glory of kings to search out."

The Search for God and Guinness by Stephen Mansfield

Old 03-03-2013, 07:26 AM   #280
12ozrebel
Recipes 

Brewed 2 batches today, an Amber and a
Wheat ale. I used Saaz and Chinook for
The Wheat and Saaz and Centennial for
The Amber. Used American ale yeast for
the wheat and Belgian Strong for the Amber.
Should be interesting. @Surume,do
You have a place to brew outside? I use
a gas burner hooked up to a propane tank
and seems nicer outside brewing than in the
Kitchen.

Quick Reply