Electric Brewing Supply 30A BCS Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Community > Brewing Events & Local Gatherings > Great Lakes USA > Ohio HomeBrew Forum > New to the brew Cincy!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-25-2012, 11:34 PM   #11
Rerun
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 7 Times on 5 Posts
Likes Given: 2

You moved from the east side to the west side?? YOU ARE DEAD TO ME!
Just kidding. Paradise is a great place. I was in there one Friday just waiting my turn and John was consulting a customer on what kit to buy and this gentelman said his wife is a big hop head. So John comes back with two sample glasses full of their Two Hearted Ale clone and said to me "beer?"
I think I said we should spoon later, but I cant remember.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-29-2012, 05:09 PM   #12
cincydave
Recipes 

Liked 7 Times on 7 Posts
Likes Given: 3

Hey Westwood,
I too have been wating for the opening of Brew Monkees. Originally, their website said they would be opening the end of Sept, but that obviously didn't happen. Not sure what is going on there. Until then, it's Listermans. They do have good variety of grains, hops, etc, but I agree they aren't usually overly eager to help.

Old 10-31-2012, 11:27 PM   #13
Squeeky
Recipes 

Liked 17 Times on 15 Posts

I realize it might be a little bit of a drive, but Brewtensils is worth the drive to Dayton. Actually ran by a great guy that has always been eager to help Mike Schwartz. It is also the LHBS for DRAFT the Dayton brew club. If you can't make to Dayton, just let me know what you need. I work at Kenwood Towne Centre and pass the brew shop every Tuesday on my day off. I could easily bring any supplies needed to work, all I'd ask is reimbursed and beer or two for the trouble.

Otherwise anyone is welcome to come talk beer and brewery building at my retail store, FranklinCovey. Granted I will do my best to sell you planning/office essentials as well (Gotta pay the bills).

Old 11-01-2012, 03:47 PM   #14
DustBow
Recipes 

Liked 21 Times on 19 Posts

The atmosphere/attitude of Listerman's and Paradise are 180* opposites.
I always get a bad vibe in Listerman's - just like Westwood said, almost like you are bothering them....Paradise is more like hanging out and talking beer/brewing with your buddies....and occasionally drinking some of their beer as well

"Brewing beer is neither complicated nor expensive. It's the responsibility of the brewer to make it as complicated and expensive as their spouse & budget will allow."

Old 11-03-2012, 08:47 PM   #15
bad67z
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 107 Times on 75 Posts
Likes Given: 26

Welcome bravo1156 to the forum and the lifestyle. As for the rest of you I wish I had the choices you do in Cincy. Greater Cbus has only two LHBS. The one solely dedicated to brewing will not get any of my business, the women running it is not helpful at all when it comes to beer questions. She makes the folks @ Listerman's appear jolly IMHO.

Old 11-04-2012, 04:40 PM   #16
westwoodbrewer
Recipes 

I'm sorry to hear about the situation in Cbus, bad67z. That could very easily stunt your brewing efforts. I have had conversations with friends(when I was in Denver) about how we could economically order in bulk, and share costs. While we decided it could have been done, we realized that it would only make sense if all of our LHBS disappeared overnight.

In reviewing my post on Listermans, I feel like it came off harsher than I intended, but at the same time, I dont feel the need to take down the post either. Perhaps I should have just kept my mouth shut, and let people make up their own minds....but these kinds of exchanges also seem to be what this site intends.

Old 11-05-2012, 12:49 AM   #17
bad67z
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 107 Times on 75 Posts
Likes Given: 26

Quote:
Originally Posted by westwoodbrewer View Post
I'm sorry to hear about the situation in Cbus, bad67z. That could very easily stunt your brewing efforts. I have had conversations with friends(when I was in Denver) about how we could economically order in bulk, and share costs. While we decided it could have been done, we realized that it would only make sense if all of our LHBS disappeared overnight.

In reviewing my post on Listermans, I feel like it came off harsher than I intended, but at the same time, I dont feel the need to take down the post either. Perhaps I should have just kept my mouth shut, and let people make up their own minds....but these kinds of exchanges also seem to be what this site intends.
I understand, I have bought a lot of ingredients form Listerman's and it is a crap shoot as to the attentiveness and attitude of the staff on any given day. Fortunately my job has me in 6 different states so I have plenty of HBS to choose from.

Old 11-05-2012, 03:45 PM   #18
DustBow
Recipes 

Liked 21 Times on 19 Posts

Yeah, the guys there aren't "bad people" or anything, it's just not what I expected/would want from a LHBS

"Brewing beer is neither complicated nor expensive. It's the responsibility of the brewer to make it as complicated and expensive as their spouse & budget will allow."

Old 11-27-2012, 02:39 PM   #19
BrewingChemist
Feedback Score: 2 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 7 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 71

Hey Westwood,
My Hubby and I have been brewing here in Cincy since fall of '08 and have always gone to Listermanns. Not sure I've ever experienced what you are talking about here - Usually when I am there Chris is the one working the register and he is really knowledgeable and helpful (even over the phone!). They've shared many of their homebrews with us and we with them. We do go there as often as 2-3 times a month . If I am looking for something very specifc, like a yeast or what not, I'll often call or let them know ahead of time and they will order it in for me. They really are great guys! Hope you have better experiences with them if you go there again!

Also, as far as BrewMonkey's is concerned - i think I saw on their facebook recently that they are finally open. I haven't visited it since then though. When they were opened their stock was fairly limited as the turnover rate just isn't high enough yet.

Old 12-09-2012, 05:02 PM   #20
orion7144
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 31 Times on 27 Posts

I am new to the area too. I live up in Mason. First time I went to listermanns was great. Once of the guys from the back came out and answered a lot of my questions since it was going to be my first brew. Since then it has been with the same person that seems a little abrasive and I just didn't feel like asking him any questions. I wont mention his name but I will assume it is the same person everyone else tends to talk about. I have not been to any of the other ones but I may drive the extra 10 min to check out paradise. I have gone from extract with spice grains to building my all grain setup in 3 batches.

Quick Reply