Happy HolidaySs Giveaway - Winners Re-Re-Re-Re-Drawn - 24 hours to Claim!

Get your HBT Growlers, Shirts and Membership before the Rush!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Community > Brewing Events & Local Gatherings > South West USA > Utah HomeBrew Forum > Does anybody brew in Northern Utah

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-04-2013, 05:02 AM   #11
yewtah-brewha
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 31 Times on 25 Posts
Likes Given: 70

Quote:
Originally Posted by NivekD View Post
Going to the Salt City Brew Supply meeting on the 13th. Time to get the Utah brewers united. Been brewin' for awhile and would love get together with fellow brewers.
I was just there, they made no mention of it, Thanks for the info, If im available I'll check it out!

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-17-2013, 05:04 AM   #12
samorg42
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 16

I'm in Park City. I do all grain, mostly 10 gal batches and experiment. I'm using a 15.5 gal keg for a mastun that I built.....works great. Clone recipes from online seem to work out well and you get close to beers than you already like.

Old 01-19-2013, 08:01 AM   #13
Harvestsmiles
Recipes 

Likes Given: 27

So I got impatient and took the BJCP entrance exam early. I passed that sucka! There are some serious stumpers on there and with not much time to think about it you really gotta set aside some study time. I've had some free time while on IR so took advantage and hit the books/flashcards/audiobooks/videos... yea it was eat, sleep and of course drink ... knowledge for the past couple months. But knocked that first step out. Got the tasting exam in August. I'll have to get down to Salt lake and visit these shops sometime.

[COLOR="Navy"]Happy Brewing :)

Old 01-23-2013, 05:45 AM   #14
NastyN8
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Hi neighbors, I'm a new brewer from Ogden. I've always loved beer and wanted to brew, just never had the space or place. Finally bought a house and getting set up with two fermenters. I'd love all the advice and tips I can get!!

I'm basically starting off easy right now and by summer I'm going to get things growing in my yard to ferment/eat. Hopefully in the next month I can move to partial mash/extract brews and then get in to strait grain after that.

Old 01-23-2013, 11:12 PM   #15
NivekD
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 100 Times on 83 Posts
Likes Given: 32

Welcome samorg and N8...sounds like we really need to plan something with this group once the weather warms up and we come out of hibernation...

Old 01-24-2013, 03:36 PM   #16
samorg42
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 16

Default Getting setup for all grain

Quote:
Originally Posted by NastyN8 View Post
Hi neighbors, I'm a new brewer from Ogden. I've always loved beer and wanted to brew, just never had the space or place. Finally bought a house and getting set up with two fermenters. I'd love all the advice and tips I can get!!

I'm basically starting off easy right now and by summer I'm going to get things growing in my yard to ferment/eat. Hopefully in the next month I can move to partial mash/extract brews and then get in to strait grain after that.
Hi: I am about a year ahead of you. A couple of suggestions. Move to all grain; it is better and cheaper and you will learn a lot more. Look on KSL classifieds or other sites. People sell everything you need for pennies on the dollar. Do ten gal batches instead of five. The setup and cleanup is 90% of the work. Brew outside, even in winter. Less mess, less marital strife. An outdoor propane burner will boil 3 times as fast as your stovetop. You can buy your two row grain by the sack to save over half the cost. Hops in bulk too. Re-use your yeast.
Old 03-06-2013, 02:00 PM   #17
Brewtah
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 48 Times on 36 Posts
Likes Given: 41

Another Utah brewer here (Cottonwood Heights). Doing extract and partial mash batches. Working on PM then maybe move to AG. I missed the SCBS event. Maybe next time.

Old 03-07-2013, 04:43 AM   #18
yewtah-brewha
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brewtah View Post
Another Utah brewer here (Cottonwood Heights). Doing extract and partial mash batches. Working on PM then maybe move to AG. I missed the SCBS event. Maybe next time.
Good to hear from you. I live in WVC, but I;m up in CH tonight for work. Thursday graveyard shift only, occasionally I smell wort cooking when i'm on my routes. I know this hobby is growing!

I missed the event also! I'm sure there will be more coming.

Old 03-07-2013, 04:46 AM   #19
yewtah-brewha
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by samorg42 View Post
Hi: I am about a year ahead of you. A couple of suggestions. Move to all grain; it is better and cheaper and you will learn a lot more. Look on KSL classifieds or other sites. People sell everything you need for pennies on the dollar. Do ten gal batches instead of five. The setup and cleanup is 90% of the work. Brew outside, even in winter. Less mess, less marital strife. An outdoor propane burner will boil 3 times as fast as your stovetop. You can buy your two row grain by the sack to save over half the cost. Hops in bulk too. Re-use your yeast.
As I was reading this my wife just asked me when I was going to put my supplies away too funny!

I agree with you 100 percent on all your wisdom that you just shared! I am going to buy some rysomes and try growing some hops. wont see untill fall at soonest, but I'm going to look into the bulk hop thing for now.

Old 03-07-2013, 04:49 AM   #20
yewtah-brewha
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by NastyN8 View Post

I have found all grain doesn't take more space, its just a 10 gal cooler/mash-tun. Its the time that will consume you.

Quick Reply