What is going to have the most impact.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

What will cause the most damage?

• Global Warming

• Oil Shortage

• Terrorism

• Something Else

• Things Will improve and all will be well.

Results are only viewable after voting.
Are you asking about our lives or the lives of people around the world in general?

I think in the U.S. we are fairly insulated from climate change problems, with the exception of the people in Atlanta who don't believe in climate change. So if we are talking about my day to day life, the oil thing is going to impact me more as everything is going to cost more to get to, me and thus increase the cost at the store.

If you are talking about people all over the world, climate change is really going to screw over the people in third world countries who live as subsistence farmers or herders. They are totally going to get screwed by drought, famine, and unexpected storms.

Do you not think if peoples lives around the world are impacted then it will not resonate in world economies and affect the US? Will it not start conflict the will affect the US?
<Devil Advocate>

I picked terrorism, but really just war in General. Between the Middle East and Russia, I do not see things getting better for a while, unless major leadership change is made in those country's.

That is tough to say really. They are all interrelated the way I see it. I think an oil shortage could be beneficial to get us serious about seeking other means and not being dependent on it. Obviously oil dependence and consumption is directly impacting environment. Many ways terrorism is related to oil. Especially state sponsered terrorist actions (not naming any one country in particular, take your choice and you decide) that spawn fear and hatred and radical non state factions to retaliate out of fear.

I guess I would have to say something else. That something else has remained the same all throughout human time and will continue to be the most destructive element long into the future. It has never really changed though it takes on different guises.

The thing that will cause the most (negative) impact on all of those and more is fear.

When we are afraid we get angry because we feel powerless. When we get angry we become hateful and destructive hoping to feel in control again.

Some bacteria/virus will make the biggest change. It won't take 3000 years for it to happen either. We're toying with bugs on a daily basis and with the mutagenic happenings....we'll be toast one of these days. Well, most of us.

I said terrorism as well, but I almost picked things will get better. I think things will get better, but also believe their will be groups that cause death and destruction just because. I don't think they are going to ruin the world though, but many families will probably be impacted.

Well where do I start, I think most of the problems are fixable. Technology has always found ways to stay ahead of the game. The real problem is staying ahead of the greedy bastards that hold back technology to fix things. :D I'll be glad when the Bush administration leaves, this is the worst leadership we have had in my lifetime, and I'm 50 years old!

It's an interesting question. I have two answers really.
- Terrorism in the next 10 years will most likely have the biggest impact on my life.
- Global warming will most likely eclipse any impact terrorism had, 20 years from now till my death. Global warming should impact our lives in an exponential manner, which should scare anyone under the age of 40.
- Oil shortages may be real, but we are looking at being introduced to very real alternatives in a relatively short amount of time. I think that is the one obstacle we are most likely to beat.

I don't think we have too much to worry about oil running low or alternative energy, it's the people in the business of oil that are worried.

I have an article written by a scientist that says even on the micro level there are no fossils in "fossil fuel". It's a nisnomer and a hoax on the public.

He says oil is a by-product that the Earth spits out all the time and we will never run out of it.

If anyone remembers way back in the early '70s the "oil experts" said we only had 40 years of oil left. Well, 40 years later now they're saying we only have 43 years left. What gives? :confused:

The only thing making prices rise is corporate greed. They always blame the lack of refinery capacity...but even after all their profit they refuse to build more refineries...:mad:

It's a vicious cycle. They're always saying we don't have enough home fuel/ oil ready (for the winter season)...like they didn't kow it was coming around again like it does every year about this time...:mad:

Terrorism is a definite problem, but it's really a small group of people creating fear/disorder. There has always been and always will be people out there who will try to do this; this administration has simply put a huge spotlight on it to try and legitimize themselves. We have caused more damage to our economy, foreign relations, and public confidence in the government by starting this war. If we had sat back and covertly picked off small cells, there would be a lot less anti-American sentiment worldwide. Sending 300,000 troops is ENORMOUSLY expensive, and we could do a lot with that money; like fix social security, education, etc. etc.

An oil shortage would definitely hurt the economy, but in the end I think the outcome would be positive because it would force us to improve the efficiency of our technology. We've had the ability to make electric/hybrid/alternative cars for years, but it's simply been greed that has slowed its release. Why would GM cut straight to a completely oil- independent car when they could spend the next 30 years with 5 generations of "hybrid" vehicles???

<Sorry for the rant>
Global warming is the only thing that will affect us all, creating serious changes in the world around us. Sadly, people won't do anything about it until it's right in our face (though I believe it already is) and we're backed in a corner. What's scary to me is that these changes are taking place pretty rapidly. Call me selfish, but I hope me and my family can live a full, productive life while still being able to check out before the sh*t hits the fan!

homebrewer_99 said:
I have an article written by a scientist that says even on the micro level there are no fossils in "fossil fuel". It's a nisnomer and a hoax on the public.

He says oil is a by-product that the Earth spits out all the time and we will never run out of it.

If anyone remembers way back in the early '70s the "oil experts" said we only had 40 years of oil left. Well, 40 years later now they're saying we only have 43 years left. What gives? :confused:

The only thing making prices rise is corporate greed. They always blame the lack of refinery capacity...but even after all their profit they refuse to build more refineries...:mad:

It's a vicious cycle. They're always saying we don't have enough home fuel/ oil ready (for the winter season)...like they didn't kow it was coming around again like it does every year about this time

I'm sure this "scientist" is gainfully employed by OPEC. ;) Don't worry, corn is quickly becoming the new oil, so there's always going to be SOMETHING that everybody needs that is ridiculously priced. Fighting wars in corn fields might suck.....I mean....you could get really scratched up by those stalks! :D

I voted oil....But I don't necessarily mean an oil shortage, just OIL in general. All of the problems that come with oil: Greed, Terrorism, War, etc.

SWMBO wants to look into getting a hybrid.:eek:

ScubaSteve said:
I'm sure this "scientist" is gainfully employed by OPEC. ;) Don't worry, corn is quickly becoming the new oil, so there's always going to be SOMETHING that everybody needs that is ridiculously priced. Fighting wars in corn fields might suck.....I mean....you could get really scratched up by those stalks! :D

Maybe they'll issue "Butt Kevlar". If a soldier were to fall backwards at the right angle, those corn cobs could do dome real damage.:D

olllllo said:
The biggest threat is fear and those that manipulate it.

Yup....pretty true. Fear can turn your average Joe into a killing machine ;) But I'd still prefer not to have the droughts, floods, food shortages, and extinction of wildlife that comes with global warming.

BTW, that butt kevlar might be a high value item! I mean, that's gotta be worth a couple cartons of cigarettes in prison:)

Global Warming: I won't go into the whys, but I don't believe in Global Warming either (and I don't live in Atlanta). Oh yeah, my air lock is emitting C02 and I'm proud of it!

Terrorist: Terrorist don't scare me. The world has always and always will be at war, until the Antichrist gives us peace (in order to trick us into thinking he is the real Christ)

Oil: The world has and always will be fighting over one thing or another...I agree we might be fighting in a corn field next. I believe we'll find a new fuel/source of energy to fight over before we run out of oil.

Something Else: I chose this, referring to people who fall into the next few categories:
1. People who let the government take away seemingly unimportant rights of our people so we can feel 'a little' safer.

2. People who think it's OK to unfairly tax something because it's politically incorrect, like cigarettes. This just opens the door to tax something else because it's unpopular like beer, or worse home brewing (after all, it produces C02)

3. People who think we should try to make all the other countries like us (as in not hating us). This will never happen as long as we're 'one nation under God'

4. People who don't think we should be able to call ourselves 'one nation under God'.

5. People who critisize our government for going to war to protect us. (we're not there for the oil)

6. People who think we should ban guns and let the government protect us. (refer to # 5.)

Oh heck, the point is the earth will take care of itself, terrorist won't bring us crashing down, and we'll survive oil or the lack there of. But what will destroy us are our own people who think being politically correct and not hurting anyones feelings is more important than standing up in support of the morals and principles that this country was founded on. We might be affected by nature, or nations, but we will be destroyed by ourselves by letting this great nation turn into the over policed, over taxed, and overly regulated nations that make us call this a great nation to begin with.

homebrewer_99 said:

It's a vicious cycle. They're always saying we don't have enough home fuel/ oil ready (for the winter season)...like they didn't kow it was coming around again like it does every year about this time...:mad:

They cant build new refineries. Has nothing to do with money, enviomentlist dont like refineries.. ( they sure llike gasoline though)

I picked terrorism. We lose freedoms all the time. Wait till the next 9/11 happens.

Global warming won't affect anything unless people let politicians change our lives and tax us into oblivion while certain corporations clean up on the scam. 20 years from now, the global cooling cycle will kick in and politicians will have new taxes to hit us with.

Actually, Political Correctness will be the death of America and Western Europe.

This was a very difficult question to answer as I believe the top 3 choices are all going to have a profound affect on humanity. That said, I picked terrorism because 1) it has already affected us and 2) it will compound the affects of the other 2 choices.

TheJadedDog said:
This was a very difficult question to answer as I believe the top 3 choices are all going to have a profound affect on humanity. That said, I picked terrorism because 1) it has already affected us and 2) it will compound the affects of the other 2 choices.

That is exactly my reasoning for making the same decision.

As oil goes up, the value of the USD goes down. The USD is worth less than the Canadian Dollar right now. I think things will gradually turn for the worst. Inflation is rampant, our currency isnt backed by precious metals, the federal reserve knows this, but they're "optomistic" other countries will still poor foreign loans into our econmy so we can keep increasing our senator's paychecks. China pulled out last week. Who's next?

Not trying to soapbox, do your own research. Here's a start: youtube "bernanke paul" and watch a few of those videos. Also, look at some charts of our USD, precious metals, and crude oil.

I picked the last choice because I want to be optimistic. It seems that we're in a bit of an international slump right now, and I'd like to think things will improve simply because the world will get tired of the suck-factor. That sounded really idealistic...so not Yuri. Guess I'm in a good mood this morning!

Terrorists. Eventually some nutjob is gonna get ahold of the Big One, or several Big Ones, and blow us all to smithereens just so he can spend eternity with his vestal virgins.

I would rather pick 'Energy Shortage' instead of Oil Shortage. I really don't see a shortage of oil any time soon but if it continues to increase in price like it has lately, nobody will be able to afford it.

A shortage of affordable and available energy could bring a lot of progress to a halt. I hope it doesn't happen.

Our long, slow slide towards bigger and bigger government is more of a threat to me than any of those other things.

Soon ... relatively speaking anyway, we will find a new way to power our cars and other conveyances. This will essentially solve all the other problems mentioned. Pollution and climate change will be negligible. Terrorism needs a funding source and that will be gone because oil will be a waste product again. I'm 52 and probably won't be around to see this all play out. My kids will though. Technology finds a way.

Honestly... if the republicans get elected again.

/me puts on flame retardant suit and ducks.

homebrewer_99 said:

WOW! does this guy also teach "Intelligent Design"? When will people realize that one wacko in a lab coat does not represent all of science....

Back