What did you learn today?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

pdbreen

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Today, I learned there is a difference between the gas post and liquid post on a corny keg and how to tell the difference. Guess I've just been lucky for way too long.

I also learned that you shouldn't position your face over the liquid out when you disconnect it while the keg is under pressure. Got myself an eyewash of oxiclean!

Bill Nye the Science Guy's Professor was Carl Sagan

Last edited:
I was trying to revive a Wyeast propagator pack (do they even sell these any more) that was either a year or 2 years old (it was either Jan 08 or 09). Smacked the pack and couldn't really tell if there was any swelling after several hours, but figured I'd toss it in a starter anyway.

After about a day and a half on a stir plate, I thought I saw some intermittent signs of fermentation, but not enough to risk using. But, then it dawned on me that although I'm still comfortable with the relatively warm days and chilly nights, the ambient temp in the house dropped to around 60.

So, tonight I stoked up the wood stove and brought the stir plate/starter out and gave them a prime seat about 5-10 ft away. What could be nicer?

Clearly the yeasties got romantic thoughts with the warmth and glowing fire nearby and look to be getting to "their business" and started multiplying!

Lesson learned - yeasties are romantics at heart, give them a loving environment and they'll do their thing!

Make sure the run off hose to your immersion chiller is secure before you turn the water on...you might get dancing hose squirting 170 degree water in your face.

Make sure the run off hose to your immersion chiller is secure before you turn the water on...you might get dancing hose squirting 170 degree water in your face.

Been there, done that. Have burns to prove it.

Yesterday, I learned that boiling water is hot, and that steam burns on a bare arm hurt just as much as if the water actually hit you. And steam rises so a bare arm holding the thermometer is vulnerable.

That memorizing 1 commercial example for all 80 BJCP styles is going to be a real PITA.

That memorizing 1 commercial example for all 80 BJCP styles is going to be a real PITA.

It's not as bad as you think. Not all styles are on the exam and you'll be able to find out which ones aren't. As for the others, many are typical and you already know: 1A - Light American Lager. What do you think of? Bud Light? You got one. 1B - Standard American Lager. Again, what comes to mind? Buttwiper. You get the idea.

In class we did about 5 commercial examples each night---tasty most of the time but there were a few good examples of flaws. :( So those were easy to remember too, having had 'em.

And then there were ones that I particularly liked that made perfect sense to me why they were commercial examples: 3A - Vienna Lager, GLBC Elliot Ness. 9E - Strong Scotch Ale, Dragonmead Under the Kilt Wee Heavy.

Don't get hung up on it. They're worth 1 point each; they're basically extra credit. If you can remember 'em, good. Focus on the big stuff.

Back to the OP---I learned that there'll always be someone who wants to do it faster despite the high chance of failure. Excavating contractor was digging a trench for electric and phone from a transformer on my yard to a new house across the street. They decided the backhoe would be faster. Guess who lost phone and internet service all day? :rolleyes:

Yesterday, I was reminded that carrots work much better than sticks.

Today, I learned that there are far more in my office that are interested in beer and brewing that I thought.

TL

Today I learned my belly button can only hold 1 grape.....I was dissapointed by this fact. but I was quite pleased to find that it does infact hold 3 grapes if the grapes are crushed first.

I also learned that I have alot of time on my hands and not enough grapes to fill it with.

The mysterious distortion coming from my truck's speakers were RCA jacks rubbing against metal. I thought I seriously f'd up the install but I'm glad it was easily fixed with some electrical tape. Nice.

Today I learned that a grumpy, tired kid and a wound-up kid (especially brothers two years apart) are a bad combination.

I was trying to revive a Wyeast propagator pack (do they even sell these any more) that was either a year or 2 years old (it was either Jan 08 or 09). Smacked the pack and couldn't really tell if there was any swelling after several hours, but figured I'd toss it in a starter anyway.

After about a day and a half on a stir plate, I thought I saw some intermittent signs of fermentation, but not enough to risk using. But, then it dawned on me that although I'm still comfortable with the relatively warm days and chilly nights, the ambient temp in the house dropped to around 60.

So, tonight I stoked up the wood stove and brought the stir plate/starter out and gave them a prime seat about 5-10 ft away. What could be nicer?

Clearly the yeasties got romantic thoughts with the warmth and glowing fire nearby and look to be getting to "their business" and started multiplying!

Lesson learned - yeasties are romantics at heart, give them a loving environment and they'll do their thing!

I learned that lesson through non-carbonating bottles. I put some bottles on their own private hot tube in the garage, and magic started to happen. :mug:

today i learned keybank tried to **** me over again by returning my mortgage check to me, claiming i messed up an account number online. ****ers!

Yesterday I learned that if you drop an immersion chiller that still has some water in the coils into a boiling wort, it can spit hot water at you faster than you can get the hoses connected.

Having icicles drop on my back from 2 stories above and the "spit water" landing on the March pump at the same time made for a "why do I do this" moment.

It passed...

Back