Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Community > General Chit Chat > What are beer laws and beer selection like where you're from?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-03-2011, 09:11 PM   #1
jaycount
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 19 Times on 19 Posts
Likes Given: 3

Default What are beer laws and beer selection like where you're from?

I've lived in Kansas my whole life so I kind of get amazed when I leave the state.

First off, we couldn't buy alcohol here on Sundays until only a couple of years ago, but at least we've come past that.

Convenience stores and grocery stores are only allowed to carry 3.2 beer and no liquor.

Bars can't be open later than 2am.

Liquor stores cannot sell non-alcoholic drinks or food or anything other than lottery tickets. So no, BevMo and total wine and those places don't exist. No soda pop, no glassware, no club soda, nothing but beer, wine, and spirits.

I don't know the specifics on microbrewery laws but we only have 2 microbrewpubs in the Wichita metro area (3rd one coming!). After going to the Phoenix metro area this seems incredibly low

Craft/premium beers are somewhat hard to come by. There are a few good sized stores that specialize in beer, I've been in 3 in the metro area. Local liquor stores usually carry some SA, Sierra Nevada, and of course some AB/Coors "premiums". There is a good selection of Boulevard locally!

My girlfriend recently moved to AZ and I am flabbergasted at the selections that even your Wal-Marts have! I think it's time to relocate.

So how is it where you're from?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-03-2011, 10:45 PM   #2
TheBroonery
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 4 Posts
Likes Given: 3

Montgomery County, MD. Worst place to buy beer.

Since the end of Prohibition, Montgomery County has operated as a "Control Jurisdiction", like many states, however it is the only county in the country to do so. In the adjacent MD counties, you can buy beer at a gas station, but here you can only buy liquor at the county stores and you can only buy beer at designated "beer/wine/deli" locations that are only quasi-independent. The county gov't operates a warehouse and distribution system for all the booze in the county. They are the only legal distributor and hence all restaurants, bars, and retail outlets must purchase alcohol through the county. The county adds numerous fees, and taxes, including a 28% "special order" fee which applies to most craft beers.

As a result, most craft beer and fine wine here in Montgomery county is typically either unavailable, or double the price of the same exact product in DC or northern VA. This racket brings about $20million+ annually into the county's general fund, and the 100% democrat county government will never relinquish that power and control.

Grocery and convenience stores do not know what alcohol is here. You travel 10 minutes across the river to Virginia, and you find a mecca of craft beer, and it's available anywhere water is sold!

Old 04-03-2011, 10:53 PM   #3
Bernie Brewer
Grouchy Old Fart
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 132 Times on 53 Posts
Likes Given: 2

In WI we have it pretty good. Some excellent brewpubs, microbreweries, and a good selection just about everywhere. Just about every corner gas station will carry New Glarus and Capitol brewery stuff- at least some of their brews, anyway. And you can buy from 8 am till 9 pm- midnight in some places. Bars can be open between 7 am till 2am.

"Why don't we get drunk and screw?" Jimmy Buffett

Old 04-03-2011, 10:54 PM   #4
boo boo
Recipes 

Liked 31 Times on 27 Posts
Likes Given: 4

Newfoundland Canada.
Poor selection of imported craft beer and imported beer in general, although some major euro brands are avalible. Nothing except Sam Adams from the states.
Convinence stores have cold beer between 9 AM to 11 PM 7 days a week and some stores have liquor with the same hours 7 days also.

How do you BBQ an elephant....first you get your elephant....

Old 04-03-2011, 10:54 PM   #5
buckeyebrewer

Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

In Ohio you can buy everything everyday except you can't buy wine or liquor until 1 PM on Sundays. Not sure why this is but it seems to be the only restriction we have. Anyone can sell beer, wine and low proof liquor (CVS, grocery stores, gas stations, etc). Only liquor stores can sell hard liquor, but we have liquor stores in our grocery stores. Liquor stores can sell any products they wish (food, mixers, soda). Bars close at 2:30AM. Seems like Ohio has good laws surrounding purchasing of alcohol...I've never had any problems getting it. Now if we could just legalize something else

-----------------------------------------------------
It's not a beer gut....I'm building a shed over my tool.

Old 04-03-2011, 10:58 PM   #6
buckeyebrewer

Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Quote:
Newfoundland Canada.
Poor selection of imported craft beer and imported beer in general, although some major euro brands are avalible. Nothing except Sam Adams from the states.
Convinence stores have cold beer between 9 AM to 11 PM 7 days a week and some stores have liquor with the same hours 7 days also.
Last time I went to Canada I was shocked at how expensive the alcohol is. Couldn't find anything decent. Just some regular beers and it was $50 a case....and that was for Labatts or Molson I think. It's been a couple years but I know it wasn't a premium beer. I guess that's what happens when you have free health care.

Old 04-03-2011, 11:01 PM   #7
mikebowman
Recipes 

In nova scotia, you can pretty much only get beer at the provincially owned stores, the exceptions being a few privately run "boutique" type liquor stores, and the breweries in the area (labatt, sleeman, and a few great micros). Import/craft selections are pretty crap, especially at the main stores. The fancy ones have better selections of Belgians and stuff, but not much American craft brews.

Most bars close at 2, but some clubs and stuff are open later. Liquor stores open from 11am-10pm Monday-Saturday, and 11-5 on Sunday's

Old 04-03-2011, 11:03 PM   #8
boo boo
Recipes 

Liked 31 Times on 27 Posts
Likes Given: 4

regular swill here goes for $44 a 24 case and as far as I know, we are the most expensive here in Canada. Have a look http://www.nlliquor.com/products/pro...rchresults.asp

How do you BBQ an elephant....first you get your elephant....

Old 04-03-2011, 11:05 PM   #9
buckeyebrewer

Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

We were in Niagara Falls....I know it's probably a little more expensive in the tourist area and the dollar was really weak a couple years ago. I bring my own alcohol to Canada now.

Old 04-03-2011, 11:07 PM   #10
buckeyebrewer

Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

I just looked at the link you posted.....Bud Light Lime is only $24.98 a 12 pack.....LMFAO

Quick Reply