U-Verse vs anything else???

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JayWeezie

Reaction score
Just had AT&T U-Verse guys come by trying to sell me on it. Who has U-Verse? Why'd you switch? What don't you like about it?

Have had it for over a year, love that I can bundle services and that they don't jack the price every six months to a year. AT&T DSL service is awesome with no drops. Picture quality is outstanding and signal rarely drops like satellite did. I personally will never - ever go back to cable.

Hate that some channels are in higher bracket packages - but most of what I like is in the U200 package.

You can get DSL without having a land line if you don't want one.

One thing to find out is how far you are from the hub. I have ATT DSL and love it, its fast , no interruptions, and I don't have to have Comcast. However my parents also have DSL from ATT and it is pretty slow. Turns out they are about 20' short of the limit on the DSL line which really limits the speed they can get. However they don't download movies/music or anything, so it works great for their purposes (and HBT loads just fine).

I had it for a while. Once upon a time, I had Comcast cable. I hated them because they always screwed up my bill and it was a minimum of an hour on the phone each time they did it, and it was a HUGE hassle trying to return the equipment when I cancelled.

I also had satellite for a while, the first time I decided to turn off the TV. Kids would spend an entire weekend zoning out on the TV so I wanted to get it turned off, but I was locked into a contract so I had to wait until I could afford to buy out the contract.

When I had U-Verse, I liked the idea that I didn't have to get into a contract. I've also had AT&T for phone and internet for quite a while, and every time I called them to get something adjusted on my bill, they would always offer to see if they could save me some money by getting me onto the latest and greatest deal going. I've heard other people complain that AT&T service was horrible, so your results may vary. But in the end, I thought the picture quality was comparable to the digital HD that I had with satellite, prices were fairly competitive, and after about 6-8 months I was able to turn it off and return the equipment without penalty. Someday, I'll get TV again, probably when the kids move out, and when I do it will probably be AT&T.

I've had it for a year and a half. I really love it. I suffered continued frustration with the cable company.

As others said, the internet is blazing fast _all_ the time. Never been down once. TV is clear and my favorite feature is the whole home DVR. Previously I had to pay for two DVR STBs and try to guess which room I would want to watch a show before recording it. Not any more.

I have had a few technical issues with my equipment. I've had 3 or 4 visits from the technicians, but it is resolved now. The customer service is phenomenal! Every time I call I get a helpful, knowledgeable live person on the other end. The tech arrives the very next day. In one instance we couldn't diagnosed the problem (flakey hardware) so he made a phone call to his boss. A little while later there were 4 AT&T trucks parked at my house to fix it. You don't see that much any more.

As you can tell, I am a big fan of UVerse. Highly recommend it.

Ive had it for about 2 years and really like it. However, you need a box for every tv in the house ($7 ea), can only record 2 HD shows at a time and the remote control is slow to respond. Lately the remote is getting slower even with reboots, new batteries and cleaning up DVR. I think I need to make a call to customer service. Otherwise it's really great.

Back