Strange Brew - The Movie.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I am so old I remember watching Bob and Doug on SCTV before the movie even came out. What a great show that was.

I remember seeing that movie when I was a kid - like, five years old. All I remember is them putting out a hospital fire (hoping that I'm not making **** up in my mind). Haven't seen it since, although it's coming up soon in the NetFlix queue.

the_bird said:
I remember seeing that movie when I was a kid - like, five years old. All I remember is them putting out a hospital fire (hoping that I'm not making **** up in my mind). Haven't seen it since, although it's coming up soon in the NetFlix queue.

**Spoiler**

That happend right after this.

giant_bob.jpg
http://www.losergeek.org/~niklas/bobanddoug.com/movies/giant_bob.jpg

I own it. It never disappoints on a night when you've had too many beers and there is nothing on cable.

This movie was shot in 3B! Three beers and it looks good, eh?

Bernie Brewer said:
Somewhere on this computer I have their 12 days of christmas.....
I'm not quite 30 yet (only a few weeks left)...but...

Somewhere I have the original Bob & Doug McKenzie LP (record, for you young'uns) that includes the Christmas song/sketches, "Take Off" by Geddy Lee, "Doug's Sound Effects," and other assorted "Northern" comedy. I think that album might have been the first commercially available appearance of the McKenzie Brothers. I listened to it incessantly as a kid.

250px-Bob_and_Doug.jpg

Take off, you hosers...

Here's a cool interview with Dave Thomas recently on the CBC (Canadian Broadcasting Company for all you non-hosers.)

It's incredible to hear how this whole skit came about as a joke to piss off the big guys at the CBC and how it took on a life of its own.

They also did a 24 (two-four) year reunion show that aired in Canada on the May 24 weekend.

Last edited by a moderator:
One of my all time favorite movies, have it on DVD. Also have The Great White North w/Rush around somewhere. I also remember SCTV, at the time it ranked right up there with SNL for talent and origionality.

So, we gave this bottle of beer to a friend of ours, who's a cop, and uh...it has like a mouse in it, eh.

Yuri_Rage said:
I'm not quite 30 yet (only a few weeks left)...but...

Somewhere I have the original Bob & Doug McKenzie LP (record, for you young'uns) that includes the Christmas song/sketches, "Take Off" by Geddy Lee, "Doug's Sound Effects," and other assorted "Northern" comedy. I think that album might have been the first commercially available appearance of the McKenzie Brothers. I listened to it incessantly as a kid.

250px-Bob_and_Doug.jpg

Take off, you hosers...

Yeah, I must have listened to that a million times. I think maybe I should convert it to mp3 sometime...

Cheesefood said:
Loved watching it when I was a kid.

That movie makes a great college drinking game. We used to take a drink every time they said "eh". I recently rented the movie and tried to relive the laughs I had, but it just wasn't the same. Maybe I need to be drunk to appreciate the jokes. There are some good parts, but overall, I guess it's just past its prime, IMO. The "take off" and "hoser" lines are great, though. :cross:

I'm another fan under 30(I'm 26) who loves the movie. A friend kept telling me to rent it but I never did, then in college my roommate owned it and I watched it. I now own it on DVD. I love it, really funny. I feel like its funny on two levels - 1. "'B-movie' funny" - bad effects, looking at the camera, the joke about cars in movies being towed and the drivers not watching the road, underwater breathing from beer bottles, etc. 2. "Just Plain Funny"It has really funny parts that are just hilarious regardless of budget, decade, whatever. Rare combination, works on all levels. But humor is personal taste.

"I think its getting warmer in here" - Pam Elsinore
"I do-didn't notice anything" - Bob McKenzie

Back