Snoring

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Yellowirenut

Reaction score
So I snore...
It has become bothersome enough for my GF to move to the couch in the middle of the night. I am even able to snore wile I am on my stomach.
I have asked her if I stop breathing wile I snore and she told me no.
But she does want to wire electrodes to my testicles so when I do snore I get shocked. :eek:

Any recommendations on products to reduce snoring?
I am going to bring it up to my doc when I see him later this year.
I am not interested in any surgeries at this time.

Pretty sure there are some mouth pieces and over the counter remedies. Breath Right strips help some folks. Otherwise, it might be, and don't hate me, but weight. Losing weight might be the cure.

Get a sleep study. I had one about five years ago and now use a C-PAP machine. I will not go without it. It makes that much difference and keeps everybody else in the house happy.

I have a snore that can peel the paint off of walls and send banshees running for earplugs. Only a couple times did my wife ever think I might have stopped breathing and I always woke up feeling good. So I resisted having a sleep study for apnea.

Eventually I did have a sleep study because my sleep talking turned into some really aggressive parasomnia directed at my wife.

Turned out the snoring and the parasomnia were both caused by apnea. Now that I have the CPAP, my wife says that I've gone from a chronic snorer and raging a-hole in my sleep to eerily quiet and still.

If you are a chronic loud snorer, even if you don't think you stop breathing and you wake up feeling rested, you may still have apnea. Sometimes weightloss can help. Sometimes surgery can help. I have a coworker that uses a mouth guard.

I needed a CPAP. And while I didn't think I slept poorly before, I am sleeping so much better now.

Lose some weight, or its going to be a CPAP for the rest of your life.

I don't know what physical condition you are in, but I've noticed the two biggest contributors to snoring are weight and having a few beers.

Is that weird? Does drinking a few beers cause anyone else to snore?

I could use to lose a few lbs. I am currently 5' 7" and 180 (damn tasty holiday food) I have gotten back on the exercise bike to get into a better shape.
I have thought about a sleep study but was hopping to try a mouth guard first.
Was looking for some recommendations. The thing is I even snore wile laying on my stomach.

I don't snore unless I've had a pretty big night in the garage enjoying home brew. But my fiancé does say that on nights I am really tired (usually after working a storm break not uncommon to be working for 20+ hours) that I yell and cuss a lot. She says it's never directed at her. She tells me it's mainly directed at guys on my crew. I know I used to snore a lot when I was about 50 lbs heavier though. Might be a good place to start though.

Go see a ear/nose/throat dr. Drinking and weight can contribute to snoring, but it could be a lot of things. I had a sleep study done and was diagnosed with severe sleep apnea. I'm 6'2 190 lbs and very fit, I just have super narrow nose and throat canals. Got a cpap machine for about 8 months, then got tired of lookin like darth vader in front of my girlfriend. Got the surgery last November (it was gnarly) but I don't snore anymore unless I'm REALLY hammered and my girlfriend and I both get a good nights sleep. It was worth it.

Back