Renting a U-Haul?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Cheesefood

Reaction score
So I just reserved a U-Haul for the weekend to move some furniture. As the nice lady is about to charge my card for the reservation, this conversation takes place:

"OK, your charge for the rental is $29.99 plus a one-time $5.00 service fee, plus 99 cents per mile."
Me: "Wait, what's the 'one-time' thing mean?"
Her: "It's a one-time charge for in-town rental or short notice."
Me: "So if I pay it once I never have to pay it again?"
Her "Well, umm..."
Me: "Because I've rented from this U-haul before. So I shouldn't have to pay it again since it's one-time, right?"
Her: "If you tell me you won't rent because of this, I can see what I can do"
***Hold Music***
Her "I've waived the fee."

Apparently they have no CRM software because they'd have known that I've rented from them several times in the past. If you're going to rent a U-Haul any time soon, debate that $5.00 fee. What kind of BS is it that they want to tack on an additional $5.00 and use Marketese like "One time service fee".

To quote Cypress Hill: "One time ain't down with us"

U-Haul is a rip, but they know they have the market dominance.... I am still good frinds with a dealership owner, so if my truck won't do it, I demo one of their used ones.

They should change their ads on their trucks to ONLY $34.99 a day. What BS.

I'm glad I bought SWMBO a horse trailer that doubles for moving stuff.

EdWort said:
They should change their ads on their trucks to ONLY $34.99 a day. What BS.

I'm glad I bought SWMBO a horse trailer that doubles for moving stuff.

Dude...don't talk about your wife like that! I'm sure she's a lovely lady who can fit in a normal sized car.

Cheesefood said:
Dude...don't talk about your wife like that! I'm sure she's a lovely lady who can fit in a normal sized car.

You're right about the lovely lady who can fit in a normal sized car. She has two horses though and she keeps her horse trailer spic and span, so I get to use it for things like hauling a pallet of grain, a brew sculpture, or maybe some Big Green Eggs. :D

No more renting from U-Haul

Wait a minute... you haul bulk grain in the same location as you haul your horses? Uh... don't horses crap like, constantly?

(crosses EdWort off the "Beer Swap list...)

From all I've read it seems like you've got it all at your homestead Ed.

How many acres do you own?

EdWort said:
You're right about the lovely lady who can fit in a normal sized car. She has two horses though and she keeps her horse trailer spic and span, so I get to use it for things like hauling a pallet of grain, a brew sculpture, or maybe some Big Green Eggs. :D

No more renting from U-Haul

You keep using that BGE and drinking HB and YOU"LL be the one in the horse trailer.

TxBrew said:
From all I've read it seems like you've got it all at your homestead Ed.

How many acres do you own?

It's a work in progress. I have just over 4 acres. It's about 200' wide by 800' with the house smack in the middle. It's a good thing I don't have to shovel the driveway in the winter. :cross:

You coming up for Teach a Friend to Homebrew Day?

Cheesefood said:
You keep using that BGE and drinking HB and YOU"LL be the one in the horse trailer.

Ya got that right! It'll be a comfortable ride though. I think I can set up the Beer2Go kegerator in there...Hmmm

U-Haul is a rip off....we had a nightmare with our last move...which was pretty much cross-country. They were out of the medium size trucks, so they upgraded us to the largest truck they had (sounds good, but mpg was WAY worse) and there was all sorts of unused space. We towed a 4 wheel transport trailer with our sedan on it, and I was pretty much driving a semi-trailer. We spent way more on gas than we wanted to, and when we finally made it to our destination, they waved us off and made us drive across town because of some sort of mistake in the system. By the time we got that monster across town, the location had closed, and we got charged an extra day. We of course wrote a letter to HQ, and got a refund of our money in uhaul vouchers. We swore we wouldn't use them again, but our money is tied up in their vouchers....I guess that's how they guarantee return business.

I rented a uhaul a few years ago. The guy said "return it with the same amount of gas or their is a $25.00 fee" There was 1/4 tank when I got it. I filled up the tank before I started moving and ended up returning it with 1/2 tank. I asked the manager for a refund for the extra 1/4 tank of gas. He started yelling at me saying "I don't have time for this bull sh*t, you should have read the rules, we don't give refunds" and other similar comments. Now, I never expected to get a refund but I figured I should ask since they told me they'd charge me for bringing it back empty but this D-bag really flew off the handle. I told him where he could put his truck and that he should seriously consider f*cking himself. I haven't rented a uhaul since.

BlindLemonLars said:
Do you rinse the foam away? Or does it break down into horse nutrient? ;)

Actually my wife keeps it so clean you would not think that it hauls horses. She's gotten pretty good at hitching it herself and backing it up too. She washes it after every use. It 4 years old but still looks new.

I rented a U-Haul last May when I was moving, one of the small ones. I'd say I had a good experience. No problems with pick up or drop off. I can see however, if you have an idiot to deal with it could be a PITA.

Just out of curiosity are U-Haul vehicles rolling death traps where you guys are? I know here in Ontario they have a horrendous safety and maintenance record. Every time the provincial police do vehicle safety blitzes there are always lots of U-Haul vehicles taken off the road. This of course also gets lots of press every time. I would think that would force them to change but it doesn't appear to.

They even look like crap up here, they get the bare minimum of maintenance required to keep them functioning if I had to guess.

Did you say she cleans the trailer with Starsan?

She really is married to a homebrewer, huh? :)

When I was enlisted I did a DITY move from base to base, and I wound up destroying a tire on the trailer. I got it fixed for nothing (hadda pull off the road near a huge prison, kinda made me nervous) but I did get a free box of dishpacks in the trailer. They didn't check and I did. Plus, I made a crapload of money off that move.

So I get a confirmation e-mail today stating that the truck I requested is ready, but it's at a facility 8 miles away instead of at the facility 2 miles away. At 99 cents per mile, I'm spending $16 just to get the truck! So I call to complain and they tell me some BS about trucks for round trips not being available close to me, only 1 way trucks are there but they'll make a special arrangements.

I'm NEVER renting from U-haul again. This is assinine. I just wanted a truck to move a TV and couch 3 miles down the road. I didn't want to have to fight every step of the way because they want to make an extra $5.00!!!!

ARGGHHH!!!!

I never recieved a confirmation e-mail stating that they changed the reservation, so I'm on the phone with them now. After waiting on hold for 5 minutes, I get to someone who runs me through the whole confirmation process only to tell me that she can't tell me where to pick up the truck. She transfers me to a phone that's just endlessly ringing.

DON"T RENT UHAUL

Yeah, I hate how they can't ever tell you where you are going to pick-up drop off until the last minute.

One way is better in that sense because you one pay for the "average" millage from pick-up to drop off. You can do all the in-town driving you want for no extra charge (excluding gas). When I moved we unloaded and then went to Ikea and bought a crap load of furniture, saved us a delivery charge.

Latest posts

Back