Rain Barrels...

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
We got our first real rainstorm last night since I installed the barrels. Wasn't quite sure how long it'd take to fill up one of the barrels, so this was a test to see whether it was okay to hook both barrels up to this one downspout and still collect enough water. Well, I'm happy to report that even with the moderate rain we got last night, the first barrel is full and overflowing through the overflow hose. Now I just need to find a coupling so I can daisy-chain it to the second one.

Sweet! We had a good rainfall last night here too, and I was thinking 'dammit, why don't I have those barrels yet?'. :mad:

SWMBO and I have been talking about getting rain barrels. We already have a well pump that we use for our garden, and by adding a rain barrel or two, we could drop our water bill quite a bit.
Thinking about getting cheap plastic garbage cans, and installing spigots in those.

We got our first real rainstorm last night since I installed the barrels. Wasn't quite sure how long it'd take to fill up one of the barrels, so this was a test to see whether it was okay to hook both barrels up to this one downspout and still collect enough water. Well, I'm happy to report that even with the moderate rain we got last night, the first barrel is full and overflowing through the overflow hose. Now I just need to find a coupling so I can daisy-chain it to the second one.

I'm trying to figure out how to easily do this with two barrels myself. I have 2 55 gallon drums, and I can make the overflow go into the 2nd one. But when I get a pump (I was using gravity last year) I can only pump out of one barrel at a time. I suppose I could just live with it, though I've been contemplating just having a connection at the bottom of both barrals to connect them together, has to be good and water tight though.

Just had a thought.... Run a hose up and over between the two barrels. Once they both fill up with water the hose will be full of water (might need some help the first time) and as you drain the second barrel it will create a siphon to bring water from the first. As long as you never drain the barrels completely and the hose goes near the bottom of both barrels it should always keep the level the same between barrels.

I'm trying to figure out how to easily do this with two barrels myself. I have 2 55 gallon drums, and I can make the overflow go into the 2nd one. But when I get a pump (I was using gravity last year) I can only pump out of one barrel at a time. I suppose I could just live with it, though I've been contemplating just having a connection at the bottom of both barrals to connect them together, has to be good and water tight though.

Just had a thought.... Run a hose up and over between the two barrels. Once they both fill up with water the hose will be full of water (might need some help the first time) and as you drain the second barrel it will create a siphon to bring water from the first. As long as you never drain the barrels completely and the hose goes near the bottom of both barrels it should always keep the level the same between barrels.

I see no reason why you couldn't just install bulkheads with simple hose connections near the bottom of each barrel, then connect them that way.

I see no reason why you couldn't just install bulkheads with simple hose connections near the bottom of each barrel, then connect them that way.

Just do what is said above using a garden hose. Then on top use a larger tube for the overflow into the other barrel. That is what i will be doing and you will never have to switch over to pump the other barrel.

I guess my concern is leaks, even a slow drip will empty the barrels before I get to use most of the water. I do need to make sure my overflow will be big enough, and then overflow to the yard.

I should take pictures of my setup... it deals with a lot of this stuff.

Our main collection is 3 barrels off of 1 downspout on our house. At the bottom (same height as the spigots) we installed brass nipple with the same OD as the ID of standard garden hose. all three barrels are connected in series this way, therefor keeping the level of the barrels the same. We did put spigots on each barrel in case we needed to empty it for a clog or some other reason.

We used 55gallon olive oil barrels, and with the right sized hole drilled, the brass fittings cut their own threads and we ended up with watertight connections. Give it a try!

I'd look at pond pumps from the big box hardware stores but, you'll need to know the head height for this to do any good.

evan! i wasa gonna post the link to that inline but you did say under a 100. i'm pretty sure i've seen one in my local for around 60 that's the same design as that one.

Curious as too all the uses for this water. SWMBO called as I was reading this thread and I mentioned it to her. She seems to be on board. I can get 55G barrel across the Street from the office for $5 off a farm. But I'm assuming they held farming chemicals. Would this be a big deal to use for watering plants/yard/hops/garden dogs bowls?

Curious as too all the uses for this water. SWMBO called as I was reading this thread and I mentioned it to her. She seems to be on board. I can get 55G barrel across the Street from the office for $5 off a farm. But I'm assuming they held farming chemicals. Would this be a big deal to use for watering plants/yard/hops/garden dogs bowls?

Yes, probably. I paid $60/each for mine, they're old olive barrels, came outfitted with screw-one screened lids, overflow connex, and spigots (plus my city is giving $30 rebates for rain barrels now, so they'll end up being $30/ea) I wouldn't use anything that's had farm chemicals in it! The Rain Barrel Company might deliver to you...they come from Raleigh. Can't hurt to ask.

We use them mainly for watering plants and for the initial wash water in our laundry.

Yes, probably. I paid $60/each for mine, they're old olive barrels, came outfitted with screw-one screened lids, overflow connex, and spigots (plus my city is giving $30 rebates for rain barrels now, so they'll end up being $30/ea) I wouldn't use anything that's had farm chemicals in it! The Rain Barrel Company might deliver to you...they come from Raleigh. Can't hurt to ask.

We use them mainly for watering plants and for the initial wash water in our laundry.

hmm. I'll check them out. Laundry would be easy. I have a downspout right outside the basement window that's in the laundry room. A simple hose with a valve ran right to the washer would be simple. Nothing to worry about in the rain water for clothes? I know very little about this kind of stuff.

hmm. I'll check them out. Laundry would be easy. I have a downspout right outside the basement window that's in the laundry room. A simple hose with a valve ran right to the washer would be simple. Nothing to worry about in the rain water for clothes? I know very little about this kind of stuff.

Well, I wouldn't use it for the rinse cycles because it smells a bit like olives, but for the wash cycle, it's fine.

I see no mention of $60 barrels on their website. Did you buy them indirectly?

See, I don't think that's the same company, but I don't know, really. She said she was from Raleigh, but the "www.therainbarrelcompany.com" says they're in Atlanta. Hmm. Anyway, I found them via craigslist. Here's the ad they're running right now, same as always.

You might just give that woman (Cindy) a call and see what she can do for ya...Ohio might be a little far, but I don't know. She goes all the way up to DC and Maryland, so...

ok thanks man. Think the olive smell will ever dissipate? Looks like the craiglsit ass is for the "damaged" portion of the ones they receive. Damaged meaning scratches and what not.

do you redirect the downspout to the storm drain when it fills up? or you still trying to pump it up and over/out? i was thinking about catching rain off my roof this weekend, then stumbled upon this thread.

do you redirect the downspout to the storm drain when it fills up? or you still trying to pump it up and over/out? i was thinking about catching rain off my roof this weekend, then stumbled upon this thread.

I had a gutter downspout that emptied onto a splashblock on my patio, then sheeted out from there. I simply cut the downspout off just above the rain barrels, and used a couple plastic flexible elbows to direct it into the first barrel. Then I hook them up between the spigots, and they fill equally. If they get full, I have a hose hooked up to the overflow outlet, which just drains onto the patio, as it normally would.

ahh, all my downspouts are tied to a storm sewer that runs around the house and out. that water would be in my basement otherwise, i'd have to empty it a good distance from the foundation.

make any olive beer yet? :)

If my rear downspot gets knocked off (Everytime I trim the yard) and I forget to put it back on before a big rain. We get water in the back corner of the basement.

ahh, all my downspouts are tied to a storm sewer that runs around the house and out. that water would be in my basement otherwise, i'd have to empty it a good distance from the foundation.

Well, think about it: if you disconnect the downspout from the storm sewer (really probably the french foundation drain system, too), then you should just be able to run the overflow hose from the rain barrel into that open storm sewer connection, so that if the barrels fill up, it will overflow into the storm sewer line. Right?

make any olive beer yet? :)

Yeah, I'm sending it your way. Deeeelicious! ;):cross:

The lady will deliver to Ohio for an Order of 50 barrels. If any Ohio people want to get in on a group buy let me know. I'm down for 2. Just need 48 more :)

Back