Over carbonated

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

lampeshade

Reaction score
Just opened up a batch that I bottled a week ago and it shot out like mentos in coke. Is that batch ruined or will it calm down if I let it sit a little longer?

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

It shot out when you opened a bottle right?

Bad news is that it won't lose carbonation in the bottles so you'll have to gently crack all the lids then recap if you want to bring the carb level down.

The good news is that you might not have the same problem in all your bottles depending on how you bottled. I forgot to stir my bottling bucket after adding priming sugar once and got some fine bottles and some beer fountains. This won't be the case though if you just used too much priming sugar.

Do you have a scale? They're pretty cheap on amazon and weighing priming sugar is the only way to be sure of how much you're putting in.

What was the bottling volume and how much sugar did you use?

An beer fountain after 1 week? Just to be safe, you might want to get those into a rubbermaid container in case they explode.

I have a few beers that are almost a year old. I just opened one and had a gusher. To help the rest, I've been prying up the lid with a screwdriver until the foam comes up to the cap and then resealing it. I do it whenever I walk by them. I've done this in the past to successfully lower the carbonation in bottles.

An beer fountain after 1 week? Just to be safe, you might want to get those into a rubbermaid container in case they explode.

I have a few beers that are almost a year old. I just opened one and had a gusher. To help the rest, I've been prying up the lid with a screwdriver until the foam comes up to the cap and then resealing it. I do it whenever I walk by them. I've done this in the past to successfully lower the carbonation in bottles.

Latest posts

Back