NPR Science Friday: The Evolution of Beer

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Brew-Happy

Reaction score
For those that listen to public radio, Science Friday will have a segment on The Evolution of Beer! Link

In new research published this week in the journal Genome Research, scientists examined the genetic sequences of 17 unique lager yeast strains from breweries in Europe and North America, tracing variations in the genetic code of those yeasts back through time. The researchers found that a key hybridization step, in which genetic information from two different yeasts combined and rearranged to yield a new 'lager yeast' organism, may have actually happened twice.

You can listen to the first hour of the program on Georgia Public Radio site: Georgia Public Broadcasting | Georgia Public Broadcasting You will need RealPlayer.

Thanks for posting this, I'll have to pick up the podcast as well. I also hope that they don't dumb it down as much as they did the last show on brewing.

Kai

I just got into the program late....is it a good program? Is it worth listening to the whole thing? All I've heard so far is a couple questions and the guest saying he drinks ales...

The active research on lager yeasts is very interesting! I definitely learned some new things today.

I will let the seasoned brewers critique it, but I would say it is worth the ~25mins.

Is it true that iTunes has ony a 18 min section of the show? Any place where I can get the whole show?

Latest posts

Back