The Great Bottle Opener Giveaway

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Community > General Chit Chat > My First Experience w/ a Cool Cop @ a Traffic Stop

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-28-2008, 03:17 PM   #1
Evan!
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 66 Times on 60 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Default My First Experience w/ a Cool Cop @ a Traffic Stop

Last night, I went to dog training class, then to a wine tasting at our offices. Had a few sips of wine, not enough to be near the limit. Got in the car and drove down 2nd street, which hits Market St. at a stoplight. This stoplight is "no turn on red" both ways---2nd street hits Market going one-way from both directions, so you have to turn left or right. like so:

Market (2-way)
11111121|
11111121|
11111121|
2nd----> X 11111121|
11111121|
11111121|

So I come up 2nd, and the light is red, but there's nobody coming for as far as the eye can see in all other 3 directions. Suddenly, the kids in front of me take a LEFT turn on red, obviously illegal at any intersection. I say **** it and take a RIGHT on red---legal in VA, but stupidly illegal at that intersection for no reason.

A couple minutes later, the blue lights are flashing in my rear view. Of course the first thing that goes through my mind is, will this guy smell the small amount of wine I had on my breath, subject me to a bullsh*t breathalyzer that is wrong 50%+ of the time, and send me on to prison? Second thing that goes through my mind is, how in the hell did this guy get me for taking a SAFE right on red, but miss the douches who took an always-illegal LEFT on red 2 seconds before me? Up to this point, I'd been pulled over maybe 4 times in my life, and each time, the cops were real dicks. So I had no reason to be optimistic. Then again, I'd never been pulled by a C'ville city cop before either.

Much to my surprise, the guy was very nice. He mentioned that there was no turn on red, I did my best to look surprised and dumbfounded, but was calm and half-smiling at the same time. He said, yeah, the sign is kind of hard to see, but that I should know next time...and that he wasn't gonna give me a ticket, but he'd run my license. After he ran it, he told me to have a nice night and sent me on my way.

Whew.

So there you have it. My one and only experience with a cool officer @ a traffic stop. Cheers to that guy. He could have been a dick, but he wasn't, so:

.planned:
•Scottish 80/- •Sweet Stout •Roggenbier
.primary | bright:
98: Moss Hollow Soured '09 72: Oude Kriek 99: B-Weisse 102: Brett'd BDSA 104: Feat of Strength Helles Bock 105: Merkin Brown
.on tap | kegged:
XX: Moss Hollow Springs Sparkling Water 95: Gott Mit Uns German Pils 91b: Brown Willie's Oaked Abbey Ale 103: Merkin Stout
98: Yorkshire Special 100: Maple Porter 89: Cidre Saison 101: Steffiweizen '09 (#3)

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-28-2008, 03:22 PM   #2
Soulive

Recipes 

Liked 7 Times on 7 Posts

My Dad was one of the only cool cops I knew in NJ. I have met at least 30 cops and I'd say maybe 5 of them have been non-arrogant good guys. I don't know if it holds true in VA but in NJ, you can turn on red all the time technically. If they write you a ticket and you go to court, you'll win...

===================
Green Lane Brewing
===================

Primary = Evan!'s Special Bitter
On Deck = EdWort's Porter / American Amber

EdWort's Haus Pale Ale Count

Old 02-28-2008, 03:24 PM   #3
Evan!

Recipes 

Well, there's a sign at that intersection saying "NO TURN ON RED". I can't imagine how I'd win that in court, other than the fact that, by the time you're first in line at the stoplight, it's really hard to see.

.planned:
.primary | bright:
98: Moss Hollow Soured '09 72: Oude Kriek 99: B-Weisse 102: Brett'd BDSA 104: Feat of Strength Helles Bock 105: Merkin Brown
.on tap | kegged:
XX: Moss Hollow Springs Sparkling Water 95: Gott Mit Uns German Pils 91b: Brown Willie's Oaked Abbey Ale 103: Merkin Stout
98: Yorkshire Special 100: Maple Porter 89: Cidre Saison 101: Steffiweizen '09 (#3)

Old 02-28-2008, 03:26 PM   #4
Soulive

Recipes 

Liked 7 Times on 7 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Evan!
Well, there's a sign at that intersection saying "NO TURN ON RED". I can't imagine how I'd win that in court, other than the fact that, by the time you're first in line at the stoplight, it's really hard to see.
We have those signs too. That's why you may get a ticket, but you'll supposedly win in court...

===================
Green Lane Brewing
===================

Primary = Evan!'s Special Bitter
On Deck = EdWort's Porter / American Amber

EdWort's Haus Pale Ale Count

Old 02-28-2008, 03:27 PM   #5
zoebisch01

Recipes 

Liked 7 Times on 7 Posts

Hehe, reminds me of the scene from Harold and Kumar.

Brew what you like. Do this, and you will find your inner brewer.

Old 02-28-2008, 04:12 PM   #6
z987k

Recipes 

Liked 22 Times on 20 Posts

Actually turning left on red is legal if it's from a one-way to a one way.

Old 02-28-2008, 04:14 PM   #7
Limited Visibility
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by zoebisch01
Hehe, reminds me of the scene from Harold and Kumar.
haha I was thinking that too. My grandfather was a cop, one of the only cool ones that I have seen too. He lived in Colorado and would never bust anyone for marijuana... because he smoked it too. He didn't have it in him

Old 02-28-2008, 04:21 PM   #8
Evan!

Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by z987k
Which, as you can see from my diagram, it clearly was not...

.planned:
.primary | bright:
.on tap | kegged:

Old 02-28-2008, 04:48 PM   #9
ohiobrewtus

Recipes 

Liked 37 Times on 35 Posts
Likes Given: 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by z987k
Yup, there's a lot of intersections in this messed up downtown where I live. One way streets out the wazoo.

I've never met an on-duty cop who wasn't a power-tripping ahole.

Old 02-28-2008, 05:50 PM   #10
JoeRags
Recipes 

Cruising in my 1970 Corvette... Turn at a light and its about 1/4 mile to our family business (and my workshop), so, naturally, I step on it. 450 hp screaming through my 2 chamber flowmasters... right by a cop.

I pull into our yard, wait for the electric gate to open, and just as I pull through, lights behind me. He's waiting, not entering the property. I toss 'er in reverse, pull beside him. "Good afternoon officer!"
"You know.... there's always somebody watching when you're doing something stupid."
"I know, I know, it was stupid."
"What year is that?" (at this point I realize I'm good to go)
"Its a '70, my Pop's and I restored it."
"Well, I'm going to write this up as a seat belt warning. Stop being an a$$hole."
Then, as he's pulling away, he shouts "Nice car!"

Totally seperate occasion, same car, same parking lot, Easter Sunday. I've got my sister in the passenger seat. We just pulled in from a quick cruise, and rather than pull straight into my workshop, I peg it and cut the wheel sending us into a seemingly endless donut smokey abyss. We got our laughs, and I pull slowly into the shop. Let it idle for a min and pop the hood to let 'er cool down. As I walk out the shop, I see a cop on the road, lights on, standing on the outside of the fence waving for me to come over. SO, I take the walk of shame, about 100 yards. "How ya doin officer?" He goes into this long discussion on how its a misdemeanor for me to do donuts with a passenger in the car, regardless if its private property or not. Tells me that if his supervisor drove by and saw it he'd throw me in cuffs. He ends the tale with a "If I had that car I'd do the same... Happy Easter."

Needless to say, I've been lucky with the car. A few close calls, but nothing to worry about just yet.

Quick Reply