iPhoney: To be or not to be...

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Brewing Clamper

Reaction score
My phone is basically dead so I need a new one. I'm not eligible for an upgrade until January. Since I want PDA & WiFi abilities, I'm considering either an iPhone or an AT&T Tilt. If I go with the iphone I'd have to pay full price for it but no extended contract. I would also have to add a $30/mo data plan to it($360/yr). If I go with a Tilt I also pay full price but I don't have to add a data plan. I really don't think that I would use the data plan that much. I don't download songs (that way) or games or feel the need to browse the internet when I'm driving. Most places I would use the internet have free wifi. So I'm left pondering, what to do? Do you have any advice to offer? Thanks, rant over...

Have you checked with ATT I think if you purchase an Iphone they will let you upgrade and renew within 6 months of your renewal date. That would save you some cash.

My phone is basically dead so I need a new one. I'm not eligible for an upgrade until January. Since I want PDA & WiFi abilities, I'm considering either an iPhone or an AT&T Tilt. If I go with the iphone I'd have to pay full price for it but no extended contract. I would also have to add a $30/mo data plan to it($360/yr). If I go with a Tilt I also pay full price but I don't have to add a data plan. I really don't think that I would use the data plan that much. I don't download songs (that way) or games or feel the need to browse the internet when I'm driving. Most places I would use the internet have free wifi. So I'm left pondering, what to do? Do you have any advice to offer? Thanks, rant over...

Have you asked them if they could get you a refurb for a lower price?

Have you checked with ATT I think if you purchase an Iphone they will let you upgrade and renew within 6 months of your renewal date. That would save you some cash.

3 different CS reps said no dice... I didn't think to ask about a refurb, I'll have to give that a shot...

If you have no data plan, how do you expect to receive emails on your phone? That's how they come...on the data stream. Its more than just for surfing the web and downloading ringtones.

Also - the data plan is a required feature of the iphone. You cannot get one with out the plan. Also - you will find yourself surfing a lot more the more you use the phone.

BTW - you can't download music or access itunes without using the wi-fi connection... the 3g service cannot be used for this.

While I can't speak for the Tilt, I do have an iPhone and I dig it. There are some killer 3rd party apps available for it. And yes, you will use the data for emails and surfing.

I was in the same boat. Lost my phone and would have to pay about $200 to replace it. I bought the iphone and really like it. The extra money for the data package is worth it since you can do some much more with it. I find myself listening to streaming audio of various shows from the Brewing Network while commuting.

Pandora for streaming free music is awesome too.

HBT is a little hard to read on it, but I've posted quite a bit using my iphone.

Pandora IS awesome... I drive all other the place for work and it's basically like having satellite radio in whatever car I am in.

I just switched from a blackberry to the iphone. there are certainly things i like better about the iphone. but overall, I miss my blackberry.

check craigslist in your area and see if someone's selling a used/new bberry.

I paid $650+ for my iphone because I didn't have an upgrade available.

B

Latest posts

Back