Help me stock my liquor cabinet

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
We drink a TON more beer around here than liquor, but we keep a small supply on hand. Like the OP we try to keep it to the $25-$30 range per bottle since when I may break it out to sip on, SWMBO and friends who dont drink beer usually end up mixing a drink or two. Our current selection includes:

Makers Mark
Appleton Rum (got it in Jamacia so it was dirt cheap there)
Tito's and or Grey Goose (but we will keep a bottle of Smirnoff around to apese friends who mix)
Sauza

We also have a bottle of the Bicardi Select dark rum, which IMHO isn't to bad. Not the appleton, but I'll still pour some now and again for myself.

So, right now here's my "short list":

Vodka: tito's
rum: Goslings
Tequila: Sauza Hornitos (or other 100% agave)
Bourbon: Maker's Mark or Knob's
Scotch: McClellend's
Gin: Tanqueray 10 or Sapphire

And the 'long list' is (in no order):
Rum: Mt. Gay, Appleton's, Sailor Jerry
Bourbon: Woodford, Beam, Wild Turkey, Bullei
Vodka: Effen, Luksusowa, Grey Goose, Svedka (but at a buck more than Smirnoff, I might just keep this as the well-liquor)
Irish: Tullamore Dew, bushmills
Scotch: Deanston 12+, Glenfiddich, Trader Joe's varieties

Well, let's see.

You'll be wanting gin, bourbon, vodka, scotch, tequila, brandy, rum, and a couple of liqueurs. (All prices cited are for 750ml bottles and current as of today, unless otherwise specified. Prices are only a rough guideline; the actual price may be higher or lower depending on your location and shopping acumen.)

Gin - Bombay Sapphire ($19) is popular, but I find it to be a bit harsh and prefer Hendrick's ($32) for drinking straight.

Bourbon - Bulleit or Woodford Reserve ($26).

Vodka - Chopin ($30) for sipping and Stolichnaya ($19) for mixing. You might also consider picking up something really cheap if you have friends that won't notice, e.g. people that want to mix it with Red Bull.

Scotch - Well, there's a lot of variety here. Unless you're already a fan of Scotch Whisky, I'd suggest going with a blend if you're buying an entire bottle blind. The best way to decide would be to find someone (or some bar) in the area that has a good selection and start tasting your way through them.
Blended - Blended whiskies are made from a mix of malt and grain whiskies, and as a result are lighter and tend to have more wide-ranging appeal. The Famous Grouse ($19), Pig's Nose ($32), or Johnnie Walker Black ($27).
Vatted - Vatted whiskies are entirely malt whisky, but the whisky is sourced from more than one distillery. It's hard to go wrong with anything by Compass Box (~$45-$100). There's also Jon, Mark and Robbo's set of "The Rich and Spicy One", "The Smooth Sweeter One", and "The Smokey Peaty One" (~$30), which are as described.
Single Malts - Single Malts are entirely malt whisky distilled at a single distillery. It's a somewhat common misconception that it's also a single batch of whisky from that distillery--while there are single-barrel releases, standard expressions are blended from different barrels and ages in order to make the product more consistent from year to year. The age marked on a bottle (5yo, 12yo, etc.) indicates that the youngest whisky in it is at least that old. Scotland is divided up into various regions, and while the regions are geographically contiguous the division was done along stylistic lines. The four traditional regions are Lowland, Highland, Islay and Campbeltown; splitting up the Highland region into various subdivisions has become popular, but the only really important one is Speyside. Single malts attract snobs, but they're also quite tasty. Glenkinchie 10yo (Lowland, $42); Highland Park 15yo (Highland, $63); Caol Ila 12yo (Islay, $64); Lagavulin 16yo (Islay, $66); Springbank 10yo (Campbeltown, $65); Macallan 12yo (Speyside, $47); Talisker 10yo (Isle of Skye, $56).

Tequila - Don't like it. I'll still offer an opinion, though. Milagro Tequila Silver ($22) and Cabo Wabo Tequila Reposado ($36). Jose Cuervo Gold ($15) for people that just want to get trashed.

Brandy - Go with cognac, probably. Remy Martin Cognac VSOP ($34) or Planat Cognac VS ($20).

Rum - Tortuga Light Rum ($18) and Appleton Estate V/X ($20) or Pyrat XO Reserve ($23).

Liqueurs - Knock yourself out, as liqueurs are always fun. You'll want to look into making your own (especially easy ones like limoncello), but there are some (particularly herbal liqueurs) that are difficult to duplicate. You'll definitely want a triple sec, curacao, or other orange-flavoured liqueur; I like to keep both Cointreau ($32) and Grand Marnier Cordon Rouge ($35) on hand. Also popular are whisky-based cream liqueurs such as Baileys ($16). I'd also have at least one herbal liqueur, but why not pass up the macho frat-boy favourite Jaegermeister ($17) and get the less over-marketed Bénédictine ($32).

Bitters - An important ingredient to have on hand for cocktails. These usually come in small bottles and have a decent shelf life, so if you're serious about cocktails go ahead and pick up whatever ones you find.

As you look to expand, there are a few more categories of whisky that you should definitely get.
Rye - Sazerac 6yo ($30)
Canadian (confusingly, this is also be called rye whiskey in some areas) - Forty Creek Barrel Select ($20)
Tennessee Whiskey - George Dickel #12 ($20)
Irish - Redbreast 12yo ($47) and Bushmills 16yo ($66). On the slightly less expensive side, Bushmills Black Bush ($34).

Rum and rum-like substances -
Cachaca - Beleza Pura ($29) or Leblon ($27)
Rhum Agricole - Neisson ($32)
Sipping rums - Sea Wynde ($40) and Barbancourt Estate Reserve ($39)

Brandies -
Armagnac - Chateau de Briat Hors d'Age ($70)
More cognac - Pierre Ferrand Ambre 10yo ($35)
Apple brandy - Try a French Calvados like Busnel Pays d'Auge Vieille Réserve VSOP ($38) or Coeur de Lion Pays d'Auge Fine ($45). Domestically, Laird's is the most readily available; be sure to get one labeled Apple Brandy, as the Apple Jack is mainly neutral spirits.
Grappa - Clear Creek Grappa Moscato ($39) or Aqua Perfecta Zinfandel Grappa ($37 for 375ml)

Absinthe (mentioned upthread) is getting a lot of exposure now that it's legally available in the US. The only currently available one that I've tried is Lucid Absinthe Superieure (France, $74), which was decent, and would serve as an introduction to the drink. I also have a bottle of St. George Absinthe Verte (USA, $72), which is the first domestically produced absinthe to be made available and has gotten a lot of good press, but I haven't had a chance to crack it open as yet. Kubler (Switzerland, $51 for 1 liter) and Le Tourment Vert (France, $61) are also currently available, with several more brands pending (including at least one more domestic).

I think that's sufficient opinion for one post.

Knappogue Castle is my favorite for the Whiskey, but alas, it is more that the maximum asking price. Jameson is more of an everyday drink for my Irish Whiskey tastes, I don't care what you-all say :)

In college here and this is what we have on hand off the top of my head.
Bacardi Silver, Jose Gold, Smirnoff, Bombay Saphire, Bailey's Mint, Johhny Walker Black Label, Jim Beam, Makers Mark, Knob Creak, Gentleman Jack, Jack, Apfelkorn, Svedka Vanilla, Jager, Southern Comfort (70proof), Skyy, Absolute Mandarin, Kaluha, then of course 2 cornies on tap :)

Some of the stuff is usually pricey but if we see it on sale we buy it.

As far as bourbon goes, my favorite that is affordable is Maker's Mark. Sailor Jerry is the ONLY spiced rum IMO. And Johny Black is great for non scotch drinkers like me. Tequilla, Cabo is very good, probably my favorite.

RadicalEd said:
Scotch: McClellend's

Do note that McClelland's is actually a range of four single malt whiskies, each from a different region.

Highland - Glen Garioch
Lowland - Auchentoshan
Speyside - Possibly Macallan
Islay - Bowmore

No age statement, but I believe they're 5yo.

SWMBO would be disappointed that nobody's mentioned The Captain yet ...... I'm not a fan personally, but she does love to "go sailing" as she calls it. :)

Ok, so I made my primary purchase not too long ago at the local Meijer (AKA midwestern walmart minus the evil):

Gin: Tanqueray
Bourbon: Bulleit
Rum: Mt. Gay
Mix'n vodka: Svedka
Tequila: 1800 Respodo

The selection there was at odds surprisingly decent and surprisingly poor. All of two varieties of 100% Agave Tequila, for instance, but more rums than you can shake a stick at (no Sailor Jerry or Goslings, though). At least the prices are the lowest in the state.

I'll keep my eye open for a few more of the liquors out there. There's a couple decent liquor stores in the area.

Before I open it, though, anybody know anything about the 1800 Respodo? Like I sadi, one of the two all agave tequila brands they had, and the only one under $50 a bottle.

RadicalEd said:
Before I open it, though, anybody know anything about the 1800 Respodo?

It's a lot better than the cheaper brands just for the fact that it's 100% Agave. I consider it a best-bang-for-the-buck for a decent margarita.

While I'm no liquor connoisseir I've REALLY been liking Jim Beam Rye right now....it's just slightly different but really tastey.

I also want to try the Van Winkle Rye somday.

Also, for mixing vodka thats also pretty tasty we stock Polar Ice Vodka and it's pretty cheap....we also keep Tito's around bc it's not to pricey.

And I know it's the "macho frat-boy favourite" (which I'm not) but I like to have Jaegermeister around.

A couple more things that I like is Southern Comfort, Ouzo, and blue and orange Curacau

*reading this thread made me go pour a Jim Beam Rye....thanks!*
review-polar-ice-vodka.html

RadicalEd said:
Before I open it, though, anybody know anything about the 1800 Respodo? Like I sadi, one of the two all agave tequila brands they had, and the only one under $50 a bottle.

It's alright for the price, if you don't have a lot of dough and need a sipping tequila. I make fun of people who put Anejo or Reposado tequila in margaritas or mixed drinks though. I mean, just think about it... why would you want to add oak flavor to a fruit drink? It makes no sense. Despite what TGI Fridays and other restaurants with a greater appetite for your money than their own fare will tell you, the only tequila that should be put into a margarita is Plata, or silver, unaged tequila. Again, wood flavor in a margarita? It's just not a good combination. It's a waste of the aged and oaky stuff.

I mean, really, have you ever sipped a margarita and thought to yourself, "Hmmm.. it needs a little more woody oak flavor..."? I sure as heck haven't. So what's it doing in there to begin with?

It's a nice shooting tequila though, for the folks who just want to sip/shoot and get wasted.

I've seen it mentioned a couple times but thought I'd restate:

Appleton's Estate V/X. Easily my favorite Rum.

Sir Humpsalot said:
I mean, just think about it... why would you want to add oak flavor to a fruit drink?

Because it tastes good, and I like it. What better reasons are there? I mean, just think about it... why would you go around giving people grief for drinking something they enjoy? If you don't care for it, don't drink it. Whatever you do, though, don't start that "wasting" crap on me. If it's my booze (or my money, or whatever), I'll "waste" it as I see fit, thank you very much.

I only mix reposados, though, as I do not like to add anejos to cocktails. Anejos muddy up most cocktails too much for me, so I like them much, much better on their own.

I'm a big fan of the silver tequilas, too. They are crisper in coctails, for certain. However, many are good for sipping, with a cleaner, peppery flavor.

Here's another vote for Gosling's rum, too. We picked up some of it one time on a whim, knowing nothing about it, and we've stocked it ever since. Appleton Estate also is quite good.

Ed, you mentioned you got "Tanqueray" for gin. Was that just the plain ol' Tanqueray or one of the others. I still prefer the plain ol' Tanqueray much of the time. When I want something else, I like Beefeater. Beefeater got a bad rep some time ago, and I've never figured out why. I think there was some rebellion against juniper, and Beefeater is loaded with the stuff. I still find it clean, a bit crisp (even cooling), and an excellent parter with tonic or vermouth. It's not all that expensive, either. I keep both Tanqueray and Beefeater around and tend to swing on a pendulum between the two.

If you ever want to mix things up a little, sometimes, also try a rum and tonic. The sweetness from the rum balances out the bitterness from the tonic water to make a cocktail that starts off a bit sweet but finishes dry, somewhat like another beverage many posters here tend to enjoy.

A nice bottle of sherry also is nice to keep around. It lasts just about forever in the fridge. I like it straight up or, sometimes, mixed with tonic.

TL

menschmaschine said:
I prefer the silver as well, but I don't know that making fun of people who use Reposado is right, being that 1800's website uses it in their margarita recipe: http://www.1800tequila.com/products/reposado/recipes.html

If I sold a product with a high profit margin, I would include it in recipes as well. That doesn't make the recipe good.

Mike_Flynn- I did elaborate. In a nutshell, the darker colored tequilas are aged in charred oak barrels and oak isn't a flavor that really seems to compliment a fruit drink.

As for what I said about making fun of people, rest assured I only do it behind their backs... ;) Seriously though, I just don't see how oak flavor fits in the flavor profile of a margarita. I know it tastes "okay" in there, but it's rather like chocolate and pizza. They're both great, but they don't belong together... Sure, a little bit of chocolate won't be much noticed, but not being noticed is different from being tasty.

And except in certain circumstances, as much as I want to, I can't agree that someone else drinking their booze as they see fit isn't a "waste". I suppose if you're drinking it alone, then it isn't a waste- do what you want. Or if you are drinking within walking distance to an open liquor store, then too it isn't a waste. Or if you have a back up bottle, then it isn't a waste. But if you have a bottle of cheap stuff and a bottle of good stuff, and have no intention of driving tonight to buy more, then it is a waste to use the good stuff in mixed drinks, unless you're sure nobody will be wanting to sip on it later.

As a host, I always hated when guests topped off their Red Bulls with my Grey Goose, then come 1am when other guests wanted vodka on the rocks, I was left only with Smirnoff. I consider that to be a waste of good vodka... the people who would have appreciated the good stuff got none, and the people who really wouldn't have cared, horded the best of the house.

TexLaw said:
I still prefer the plain ol' Tanqueray much of the time.

Me too! I think the "Tens" and "Sapphires" were a market response to the vodka boom years back. I think regular Bombay and regular Tanqueray are great as is. I was told by someone who knew liquor (a chef who went to the CIA), that Bombay is the best gin for martinis and Tanqueray for gin-and-tonics (in regards to flavor profile).

Mike_Flynn- I did elaborate. In a nutshell, the darker colored tequilas are aged in charred oak barrels and oak isn't a flavor that really seems to compliment a fruit drink.

You dont get any oak flavor with 1800 Reposado IMO. Its a much better tequila to mix with than many others while still being realtively cheap.

Lots of good info in here, I've got my own list to go out and try...

Gin is my favorite spirit so I figured I'd throw out my thoughts/preferences, too. I like Bombay and Tanqueray - I prefer Tanqueray though, but it does have a little bit of a 'burn' to it and a slightly harsh juniper flavor. Goes great in a G&T, but is a little much for a martini. I like the Bombay in a martini, but I find it tends to get lost in a G&T.

Hendricks is good, but a bit pricey and too much of a "boutique" gin for my tastes. I tend to think it is a gin for people who prefer vodka.

My hands down favorite gin, however, is Plymouth. Nice and smooth with a good balance of aromatics and a nice juniper flavor. Not too overpowering, though not too cloying either. Goes great in a G&T and is just as good in a martini.

The only thing better than a G&T is a G&T with a lime, though ;).

MikeFlynn74 said:
You dont get any oak flavor with 1800 Reposado IMO. Its a much better tequila to mix with than many others while still being realtively cheap.

Oh. I thought it was aged in oak. Maybe it's just caramel color though... :confused:

I tried most of them last night (*hic) and here's my tasting notes (all on the rocks):

Bulleit: just a hint of sweet with a strong spicyness. Different from what I had expected but I like it a lot! (I also love the bottle. Cork top is classy)
Mt Gay: Very very light flavor; just a hint of a sweet molasses smell and it disperses on ice. Wish it was a bit stronger...
Tanqueray: My first gin. Very smooth, but kinda stuck me as similar to licking an evergreen. It grew on me as I drank, though.
1800: Very light flavor, kinda dissapointed. Was hoping for a little more agave oomph. Very sippable, though.
Svedka: Superior to Smirnoff, for what it's worth. Definitely worth the buck over Smirnoff. This one'll be a fine mixer, but just isn't quite up to sippin' standards.

Naw, the Meijer didn't have anything that was really noteworthy, so I'm holding off on that until I make it into the better liquor stores.

RadicalEd said:
Naw, the Meijer didn't have anything that was really noteworthy, so I'm holding off on that until I make it into the better liquor stores.
I know that single malt scotches are a personal thing and I know that those of us that really appreciate them can be kind of snobs in regards to it but here are my .02 worth.

I'm a huge fan of the Islay Single Malts whether it's Lagavulin ($65-$70) or Laphroaig ($30-$60).

Lagavulin has been described as the aristocrat of Islays. It has an unmistakable, powerful, peat-smoke aroma. Described as being robustly full bodied, well-balanced and smooth with a slight sweetness on the palate.

Laphroaig has a hint of sherry that quickly gives way to the Islay intensity and distinctively oily body with a big peaty-smoky flavour. A round, dry and warming finish renders Laphroaig the perfect night-cap.

Now these aren't cheap but they are worth the price. I generally have a bottle of each in my liquor cabinet.

Now if those are out of your price range I'd recommend getting a bottle of Finlaggan. Finlaggan can be had at Trader Joe's in California for about $17.00 a bottle. The taste of is somewhere in-between Lagavullin and Laphroaig and the rumour is that it's actually an 8 year old Lagavullin. I can confirm that it does have some of the same flavour qualities. It's my everyday single malt due to the price and has the best taste (for my tastes) of any single malt I've had priced under $30.00. There's a reason I have 7 bottles of it in my wine cellar.

Wow, I'll trek on down to Joe's, then! They have a pretty decent beer selection too.

TJ's beer is crazy cheap too...which is an added benefit.

On another note, I know you're looking to expand your personal collection....but any single guy in his 20's should probably keep some Sailor Jerry around ;)

50% of the time.....it works every time......:D

I like the other suggestions, but try to get yourself a 750 of citadelle gin. It sells fro $22 at the store I work at. It's a very complex gin and is great in martinis or G&T's, but is also tasty on the rocks.

+1 on Trader Joes, you can usually pick up some fun wines while you're there too..
and I love Appletons! I haven't had it in so long, I kinda have laid off the booze since I started brewing and sampling beers. I was a huge fan of the Jim Beam (preferred over Jack for being a bit smokier and not as sweet) and I've been known to love on a bottle of Patron from time to time. Never been a big gin drinker but I keep trying it, just to make sure.

RadicalEd where are you shopping? I"m here in SE Michigan, and we can get our hands on just about anything...

If you have it in your area, get New Amsterdam gin. It is a very good value IMO. My gin of choice is Hendrick's, but the New Amsterdam is definitely worth the money...

I'm in Ann Arbor now, but I'll be moving in a few days to the St. Joseph area for a summer internship. I'll definitely believe that all those liquors are available here, it's just a matter of finding them :D.

Reporting back:

Found Tito's and McClellend's at one of the local liquor stores; haven't tried the Tito's but the McClellend's (Speyside) is tasty, if perhaps a little sharp. Certainly acceptable considering the budget.

I hit up Trader Joe's the other day, but sadly it look like my local one doesn't have a liquor area. I'm jealous of you California types :( .

I'm just gonna add.....to add

Vodka -stoli/or if I'm poor that week svedka(which is a very good vodka for $12 for 750ml

American whiskey -George Dickle or Buffalo Trace

Rum -not a big fan cruzan is decent though

tequila -yuck

Gin - Bombay Sapphire unless its for gin and tonics then just go with heaven hill or something cheap.

scotch - I went to a scotch tasting event where I got to taste a 5 different Macallan vintages. One was a 50 year old that cost $3000 a bottle and I must say.....I was not a fan of any of them especially the 50 y/o. (don't ask how I got to go for free)

Stock it? pfffffft!

Ask me to help you empty it and we are talkin'.

Beer, Sake, Rum, and Vodka.

The 4 food groups of fermentation.

Back