Five gallons. Gone.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Fingers

Reaction score
I tapped a keg on the weekend and had one glass. Today I poured another and when I was half way through I went to top it up. The finger tap had wedged against a keg and bent the handle in the opposite direction. For those of you who own finger taps you know that if you pull the lever up it will lodge in that position.

So I opened my keezer and there was five gallons of beer in the bottom and the CO2 was whispering out of the open tap. I disconnected the tap, closed the lid, and walked away. I didn't even want any more beer and I don't know if I have any CO2 left. :(

I'll clean it up tomorrow.

Been there, done that, kicked myself in the balls for it and swore to never let it happen again. Then I had a dual good idea... set it up where it wouldn't happen as well as make it were noone could steal my beer. I put quick-disconnects on my tap lines and a pad lock on the kegerator door. Two birds, one stone! :) Been ball kicking free ever since. I feel for you though man. Sorry for your loss, and I just poured a little beer out on the curb for your homies.

That is alcohol abuse. You should be ashamed of yourself! The only way you can redeem yourself now is to get a very long straw for your keezer, and drink every drop you can as often as you can until it is all gone. Flat, dirty, oxygenated, stinky, hard to swallow, doesn't matter!!! Drink it!

I saw a post where someone suggested using one of the retractable ID clips to hold the tap. I installed one in the lid of the keezer but I didn't realize that it came so close to the kegs. I guess I'll have to revisit the installation.

Thankfully I have another keg ready to go and another 20 gallons ready to keg. I'm just so bummed right now. Thanks for your good wishes.

This is like one of those times when people read about someone's kids getting hurt and they go to check on theirs. Everyone is going to check their kegerators now. :D

Back