Best Brown Ale ever and I know why.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BrewerinBR

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I just finished bottling the best brown ale I have ever done. Even flat and green this beer is clear and has a nutty toasty taste that is absolutely killer, came in at 6.5%. The great thing is, I know why! I know specifically and exactly why. I altered 1 thing from all the other times I have brewed this beer.

I took 1 lb of the pale ale malt and I toasted it in the oven at 350 for 45 minutes, turning and stirring ever 10 minutes. Cooled for 24 hours in a brown paper bag.

I can't wait until this beer is conditioned and carbonated!

hooray for me.... going to be cool to share some with my friend Homercidal!!!

Yes I to love the smell of toasting and toasted malt. I have been using toasted oatmeal for a while but never tried to toast malt. I really like the way it brings the nutty/toasty flavor out in that brown ale. I got the idea on this site somewhere.
Brewing today with my grandson ... a centennial IPA just about to start the mash, strike water is at temp and the tun is preheated. First brew in the refitted brew room with a new sink and new equipment.

Awesome!

Is this the same method, or similar, to making amber and brown malt from base malt?

It might be but not sure, I used the same method for oatmeal and thought it would work with pale ale malt. Turns it a nice brown color and smells wonderful.

i toast a couple pounds for LWPA and thats one of my favorite brews.

I tried toasting a pound of wheat malt tonight for a stout just to try

Back