Happy HolidaySs Giveaway - Last Sponsor Giveaway of the Year!

Come Enter the BrewDeals/FastFerment Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Community > General Chit Chat > Anybody ever been to Cabo?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-07-2011, 08:41 PM   #11
Randar
Damn right I got da brews
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 4629 Times on 4532 Posts
Likes Given: 2195

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedGuitar View Post
I know we want to take a sunset sail and spend at least a half day fishing.
You won't be there during whale season, and half a day fishing will really only get you to some shoreline reef fishing like grouper and snapper from a Panga.

Go out fishing the deep cold water on a whole day trip. That's where the tuna/marlin/sail/wahoo/mahi mahi/etc are. Cabo is close to deep and colder water (although I dunno about August)

We were there in Feb about 5 years back and landed 8 large Mahi between 30 and 55 pounds and hooked up with 5 Marlin and 2 sails, landing 2 of the Marlin in the 150 pound range. Also saw a crap-load of whales breaching on their migration out of the Gulf of California to open waters. Fishing trip of a lifetime, IMO.

Snorkeling can be OK in spots, but the better snorkeling/diving is in the calmer waters on the gulf side of the peninsula from what I have heard. There are a few pretty good golf courses but they are as expensive as hell and not worth it, IMO.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-07-2011, 09:11 PM   #12
MMTG
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 7 Times on 7 Posts
Likes Given: 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Randar View Post
You won't be there during whale season, and half a day fishing will really only get you to some shoreline reef fishing like grouper and snapper from a Panga.

Go out fishing the deep cold water on a whole day trip. That's where the tuna/marlin/sail/wahoo/mahi mahi/etc are. Cabo is close to deep and colder water (although I dunno about August)

We were there in Feb about 5 years back and landed 8 large Mahi between 30 and 55 pounds and hooked up with 5 Marlin and 2 sails, landing 2 of the Marlin in the 150 pound range. Also saw a crap-load of whales breaching on their migration out of the Gulf of California to open waters. Fishing trip of a lifetime, IMO.

Snorkeling can be OK in spots, but the better snorkeling/diving is in the calmer waters on the gulf side of the peninsula from what I have heard. There are a few pretty good golf courses but they are as expensive as hell and not worth it, IMO.
I'm very sorry, but you couldn't be farther from the truth. A half day of fishing my boat is for 6+ hours...My Captain only leaves when you're ready to call it a day! Not a minute sooner.

The truth is, you don't need a huge boat to get to many of these banks(Gordo,San Luis,Iman,etc) are only a few miles offshore-You will spend 99% of your day fishing within plain sight of the land.

Besides in August, there will be alot of WARM water(that's what you're after, not cold) The reason I fish out of San Jose and NOT Cabo San Lucas or The East Cape is that San Jose is smack in the middle of the best fishing grounds in the world. You'll see all the fisherman from Cabo San Lucas and The East Cape fishing besides you at times.

I fish 3-5 days a month, 10 out of 12 months a year down in Los Cabos.

Old 06-07-2011, 09:29 PM   #13
Randar
Damn right I got da brews
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 4629 Times on 4532 Posts
Likes Given: 2195

Quote:
Originally Posted by MMTG View Post
I'm very sorry, but you couldn't be farther from the truth. A half day of fishing my boat is for 6+ hours...My Captain only leaves when you're ready to call it a day! Not a minute sooner.
That's not been my experience in general, but if your captain will honor half day prices despite gas spent and hours worked, to put in more than that, then good on him!

Quote:
The truth is, you don't need a huge boat to get to many of these banks(Gordo,San Luis,Iman,etc) are only a few miles offshore-You will spend 99% of your day fishing within plain sight of the land.

Besides in August, there will be alot of WARM water(that's what you're after, not cold) The reason I fish out of San Jose and NOT Cabo San Lucas or The East Cape is that San Jose is smack in the middle of the best fishing grounds in the world. You'll see all the fisherman from Cabo San Lucas and The East Cape fishing besides you at times.

I fish 3-5 days a month, 10 out of 12 months a year down in Los Cabos.
My bad, it's been a while and I fished out of Cabo San Lucas and we ran quite a ways SE (probably out near the San Jose based boats). I know we were looking for temperature gradients, but must have confused looking for cold with looking for warm.

Also, the marlin and sail hookups were very early in the morning and not that far from the marina (still a bit of a run but it was still not that long after dawn, so it was probably just a few miles).

Old 06-07-2011, 11:17 PM   #14
Alphabrew
Recipes 

I went to Cabo a couple years ago w/ my girlfriend(now wife) and we stayed at the Pueblo Bonita Pacifica Resort, it was one of the best vacations we've had.

Food wise, i think the best meal we had was at a place called "Mi Casa". CaboWabo was kind of "meh".

View from the room:

El Arco:

Old 08-21-2012, 10:45 PM   #15
MMTG
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 7 Times on 7 Posts
Likes Given: 4

Was going thru some pictures and saw these from their trip!

talita-cumi-2010-021.jpg   talita-cumi-2010-054.jpg   talita-cumi-2010-045.jpg   talita-cumi-2010-065.jpg  

Old 08-22-2012, 12:55 AM   #16
BoomerHarley
Recipes 

Liked 62 Times on 41 Posts
Likes Given: 22

Quote:
San Jose is 30 miles from San Lucas. It's about a $30-40 taxi ride. Pueblo Bonito will only allow regulated taxis to pick up their guests, so you'll be able to find out exactly the cost by asking a bell hop.

Marlin are awesome! I just got back from fishing and caught a nice striped marlin on 40# gear, here's a few pictures...
Are you releasing those marlin?

Quick Reply