Aircraft issue...

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

The Pol

Reaction score
Beginning to sound like the fatal crash in BUF last night had something to do with the A/C, specifically a possible relationship between icing and flaps. Horrible tragedy.

I read that other pilots were reporting icing 20 miles south of the airport. Scary thing is I've taken that flight a bunch of times, as has my BIL.

Do you find it odd that there was no distress call?

I read that other pilots were reporting icing 20 miles south of the airport. Scary thing is I've taken that flight a bunch of times, as has my BIL.

Do you find it odd that there was no distress call?

We get ice every day... even in the summer, that isnt odd. What is odd is that immediately after deploying flaps the plane began severe pitch and roll oscillations. They crew had no time to make a call, they were busy trying not to die.

We get ice every day... even in the summer, that isnt odd. What is odd is that immediately after deploying flaps the plane began severe pitch and roll oscillations. They crew had no time to make a call, they were busy trying not to die.
That's what I figured. Just wanted to get a pro perspective.

On another note, do you get the heebie jeebies about flying so soon after an accident? I know, too many questions.

That's what I figured. Just wanted to get a pro perspective.

On another note, do you get the heebie jeebies about flying so soon after an accident? I know, too many questions.

No, the training we recieve consists of some VERY insane failures with different systems in the plane. The drive from the hotel to the airport is much more hazardous, I feel completely safe flying. Aside from a wing falling off, I feel confident I could put a plane down safely.

No, the training we recieve consists of some VERY insane failures with different systems in the plane. The drive from the hotel to the airport is much more hazardous, I feel completely safe flying. Aside from a wing falling off, I feel confident I could put a plane down safely.

So you think you could land one in the hudson?

Sure... we practice ditching, landing with a dual engine failure...landing with abnormal gear extension, landing with one engine failed and the other on fire. Pilot training is extremely intense. Unfortuantely this crew that dies got paid $19,000 a year for the FO and about $50,000 a year for the Capt.

We complete take-offs with one engine running and the other failed... we do it all. It appears that #1 this aircraft had a problem with the de-icing system, or an issue with an abnormal flap extension. The crew had no chance in either case.

Flight crews deal with system or component failures every day, seamlessly. The only time the passengers or the media find out is when we cant deal with it and the plane crashes.

Sure... we practice ditching, landing with a dual engine failure...landing with abnormal gear extension, landing with one engine failed and the other on fire. Pilot training is extremely intense. Unfortuantely this crew that dies got paid $19,000 a year for the FO and about $50,000 a year for the Capt.

We complete take-offs with one engine running and the other failed... we do it all. It appears that #1 this aircraft had a problem with the de-icing system, or an issue with an abnormal flap extension. The crew had no chance in either case.

what's FO?

FO is the First Officer... the secondary pilot, the one that flies half of the flights. He makes little more than a flight attendant...

How do you practice ditching your plane into a body of water? I am assuming they have some type of super hi tech simulator or something.

Hey, stuff happens, they are complex machines. Rest assured you are in very capable hands.

How do you practice ditching your plane into a body of water? I am assuming they have some type of super hi tech simulator or something.

The full motion simulators are capable of re-creating G forces... they are life-like down to the fact that there is an ACTUAL cockpit up on those 15' tall hydraulic legs. They are called level D simulators and they are all that we can use, the only acceptable alternative is the actual plane.

The simulators run off parameters that come from the aircraft manufacturer so that every control input in the simulator results in the exact same G force and movement in the SIM that you would have in real life.

Every 6 months as a captain I have to sit down and have a 4 day ground school, 2 hour oral exam, over anything that they would like to grill me on. Then I spend 4 hours in the simulator doing anything but flying a WORKING airplane. Every moment in the "box" is basically an emergency, one after another. Mind you not emergencies at a comfy 30,000 feet, take-off and landing where the a/c is most vulnerable.

If I dont pass... well... I look for a job. How many jobs evaluate you in the most high stress condition you will ever experience in your career, and kick you to the curb if you dont hack it? Some, not many.

Every 6 months as a captain I have to sit down and have a 4 day ground school, 2 hour oral exam, over anything that they would like to grill me on. Then I spend 4 hours in the simulator doing anything but flying a WORKING airplane. Every moment in the "box" is basically an emergency, one after another. Mind you not emergencies at a comfy 30,000 feet, take-off and landing where the a/c is most vulnerable.

I think bus drivers have similar standards:D

Man, i would totally pay like $50 to play around in one of those things for a little while.

Hell ya, puts Cruisin' USA to shame

I think bus drivers have similar standards:D

Hell ya, puts Cruisin' USA to shame

Yeah, I have seen busses on fire traveling at 150mph with a 30 knot crosswind landing on a narrow patch of pavement a few times. THANK GOD for Greyhound!:D

Regardless... it will be interesting to see what comes of this investigation. I am very surprised that they have released ANYTHING in less than 24 hours.

Yeah, it is really odd, but interesting to see. That was a pretty new plane, the Q400 is an innovation in turboprop planes. My plane today has only fown for 9 days, it is BRAND new... ;)

Yeah, it is really odd, but interesting to see. That was a pretty new plane, the Q400 is an innovation in turboprop planes. My plane today has only fown for 9 days, it is BRAND new... ;)
Was it a turboprop?
What's the deal with all the small planes lately? I always seem to be on a turbprop. Was on one from Chicago to Hartford, which seemed like a long way for such a small plane.

I'm OK with Newark but I spend a lot of time there. Be there tomorrow, not for the airport, though. Philly is the worst airport in the world. I hate that place.

Surely you have never been to Hell International aka Miami International. I think a 5 year old designed that airport.

Surely you have never been to Hell International aka Miami International. I think a 5 year old designed that airport.

I love Miami... except that I am a minority and dont speak the language.

Someday I look forward to seeing The_Pols smiling face as I board an aircraft. Oh, wait, they probably don't interact with the passengers much anymore after 9/11. I hope all pilots have the same level of concern and dedication to their job.

I love Miami... except that I am a minority and dont speak the language.

The layout is the dumbest in the world. I mean, seriously? Its one long ass terminal. Of course my gate was D50, which just happens to be the very last fricking gate. The only good thing about Miami was the eye candy, which was in abundance :D

McBrew said:
Someday I look forward to seeing The_Pols smiling face as I board an aircraft. Oh, wait, they probably don't interact with the passengers much anymore after 9/11. I hope all pilots have the same level of concern and dedication to their job.

Over the last few years, whenever I boarded or deboarded, the cockpit door has been open and there is usually some type of pilot either greeting me or saying good bye.

The layout is the dumbest in the world. I mean, seriously? Its one long ass terminal. Of course my gate was D50, which just happens to be the very last fricking gate. The only good thing about Miami was the eye candy, which was in abundance :D

Over the last few years, whenever I boarded or deboarded, the cockpit door has been open and there is usually some type of pilot either greeting me or saying good bye.

Our door is open up until the cabin door being closed and it opens as soon as our parking checklist is complete. We have people up there all the time, kids and adults... for pictures etc. My door is always open when the fires are out.

Last night I flew on a Continental/Colgan Q400 from Toronto to Newark. The plane was supposed to leave at 2pm, it left at 6:30. The delay was due to high winds, and it was one of the only flights that was released by Newark, the rest were cancelled. I fly all the time, and last night was one of the roughest flights I've flown in a long time. On the entire descent, I was wondering how a pilot trains for these situations. Fortunately we landed OK, but all I could think about last night after I heard the news was that it could have been me, or maybe the plane I was on deboarded then took off for Buffalo. But, as the pro said, it is very safe to fly, and I'll be on another plane March 3rd. I'd fly tomorrow if I had to.

Pol, I saw a post last night you were flying a Delta ship, was that correct or am I imagining things? I thought I remember a post saying you flew for US or American... I can't remember

Me too, would be pretty funny. I'd punch him right in his stupid face

Pol, I saw a post last night you were flying a Delta ship, was that correct or am I imagining things? I thought I remember a post saying you flew for US or American... I can't remember

I fly for Delta and United... this week I am doing the Delta Shuttle flights from LGA to DCA and to MDW.... allllll weeeeeek.

Back