North East OHIO group grain buy

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hello,

I am definitely interested in the grain buy. Can you put me down for a bag of Canadian pale malt #CM-PALE?

Also, I would be interested in a half bag of Vienna if one becomes available...and perhaps any other half bags (Pilsner, 2-Row).

Thanks!

Akurk, check the original posting I have you down for your request. There was a person requesting only a 1/2 bag of Vienna so you got the other half. Do you want me to put you down for a 1/2 bag of pilsner and 2 row? Like I mentioned before, I will buy the other half bags that no one takes.

Thanks for your offer of picking up anyone elses grain. Very nice of you.

You sure can get in on this group buy, no problem. Once we fill the order, I will layout more details.

FYI, briess products are not avaiable to home brewers. You will need to select a different brand. Don't ask, I don't get it either. I will mark you down for 1 bag as of now but please list what you would like to change it to.

NP, put me down for two bags. One of Canadian 2 row(CM-2 ROW) and one for Canadian Pale Ale (CM-PALE). I may do another once I tally up what my fall brewing schedule looks like. I'll let you know.

David,
Please put me down for (3) bags:
CMC Canadian 6 Row // CM-6Row
CMC White Wheat // CM-Whet
Great Western Pale 2 Row // GW-2Row.

Let me know what the total will come to when you figure it all out. I'm on the west side of Cleveland so I could deliver over here if anyone else from this side of town adds to the order.

I have to thank Akurk for posting on our SAAZ group board for this one.

Thanks,
BB

I'm in North Olmsted & am planning on making the run as well. Let's see if we can consolidate the trip, pool our gas money & spread the love. I can fit probably 18-20 sacks.

Please put me down for 1 Fawcett Maris Otter (TF-MOPA) and 1 GW 2-Row (GW-2Row). I'm interested in a half bag of Fawcett Golden Promise (TF-GPRM) if someone wants the other half.

Likewise, thanks to OP for coordinating and logdrum for posting to the SNOBs group board!

I'm in North Olmsted & am planning on making the run as well. Let's see if we can consolidate the trip, pool our gas money & spread the love. I can fit probably 18-20 sacks.
Logdrum,PM me and we can arrange a time to go. I'd be happy to help shlep some bags around.
BB

For some reason I cannot update the original posting in this thread? I don't know whats going on. So below I will list the updated bag count. I am contacting HBT to see whats going on. I like the idea of updating the original posting.

As of 11:22am 8/11/11 the bag count has been updated from all who have posted in this thread.

Bag Count:

10.5 pola0502ds: (9) bags + (1/2) bz-munich (1/2) bz-wheat (1/2) TF-GPRM
5 Dave Mathews: (5) bags
2 KPR121: (1) pilsner, (1) 2-row, hops
1 shanecb: (1) BZ-WHT
2 Super Junior: (2) 2-Row
3.5 Logdrum: (2) CM 2-Row, (1) CM Pale, (1/2) Vienna
2.5 AKurk: (1) CM-pale, (1/2) Vienna (1) SAAZ HOPS
2 Sdragon980: (1) CM-PALE (1) CM-2ROW
3 BBBrew: (1) CM-6ROW (1) CM-WHT (1) GW-2ROW
2.5 MSHEPPA: (1) TF-MOPA (1) GW-2ROW (1/2) TF-GPRM
3 Crackhead7: (1) CM-PALE (1) CM-2ROW (1/2) BZ-Munich (1/2) BZ-WHEAT
5 Jlb922: (1) GW-PALE (1) BD-MOPA (2) BZ-PILS (1) BZ-MUNH (1) CHINOOK (1) Warrior (1) Cascade

total so far: 42

Bags needed to fill order: O

1/2 sacks that are still avaiable:

NONE

Okay, so i spoke with a moderator from HBT and you can only edit messages for so long. It prevents people from editing messages that are say 6 months old or whatever. So, I will continue to update the previous post I made. At a certain point I will be sending out everyone a excel spread sheet that will list what everyone ordered, what the price is, if you paid or not, etc.. I am waiting for the order to fill up. At that point I will submit a request for quote and then provide everyone with their totals. At that point you can submit payment by paypal, check, or money order.

So is snobs and saaz fully aware of this group grain buy or does only a few people from each club know what is going on? I've been trying to get in touch with a few people from the pittsburgh clubs to spread the word but i have not had any luck.

Just so everyone knows, right after this order is done I will open another order again. With how many bags we have already I think it would only be fair to give everyone a shot since 10 1/2 bags remain. I will then do orders as we get more interest so just write down my member name and send me a PM if you club is interested down the road.

So is snobs and saaz fully aware of this group grain buy or does only a few people from each club know what is going on? I've been trying to get in touch with a few people from the pittsburgh clubs to spread the word but i have not had any luck.

Just so everyone knows, right after this order is done I will open another order again. With how many bags we have already I think it would only be fair to give everyone a shot since 10 1/2 bags remain. I will then do orders as we get more interest so just write down my member name and send me a PM if you club is interested down the road.

I believe at least one of the Pittsburgh brew clubs (TRUB) has their own group buy.

I will probably be ready to get in on the next order. Right now I have enough grain to last me close to the end of the year.

Pola, I think you missed my post with my updated order. Put me down for two bags. One each of CM PALE and CM 2ROW. Thanks

I posted on the SNOBs forum, but there are only 50 or so people on that board ( the club has probably 2-3x that many members ). If this is going to be an ongoing endeavor, I can make an announcement at the next meeting
(8/29/11) if you'd like.

-d

The grain will be left where I work, i'm not going to load them up in my car and take them home with me. During the week, you would need to pick them up by 5:30 or call and make arrangements. I would be willing to stay late. On the weekend, call and make arrangements.

The other possiblity is that depending on how many people from pittsburgh order, i would be willing to drive them down. I am in pittsburgh very often for work visiting job sites, etc.. If the number of people is not large, if your willing to wait I would drive them down but it would have to be on a day where I am already traveling to the pittsburgh area. I'd say i'm in pittsburgh once a week and sometimes even more.

Hey David, I do have a question or two regarding distribution. Are you going to lay the bags out with the purchaser's name & order info into separate piles? How are you going to keep mix ups from happening? Thanks

-d

Hey fellow snob here interested in getting in on this group buy! Id be in for a two bags

One CM pale
One CM two row

If we could find someone to split id be up for half of both BZ-Munich and BZ-wheat

I also posted this thread on the SAAZ board yesterday.

Would I also be able to add 1lb. of Czech SAAZ hop pellets to the order? No problem if you're only doing grains.

Post # 49 has been updated with current bag counts and split orders.

Sdragon, you are taken care of. Check the update.

Log Drum, if you have that many people in your club and think you can get together another order then PM me. Or even a order within reason for shipping costs. Say if you can only put together a 25 bag order it still may be worth it.

Regarding your second question. That is exactly what I plan to do. Each bag will be labelled prior to you picking up your bag or it being shipped (if someone else is picking it up for you). These bags will be where i work so I won't have time to mess around with finding peoples bags of grain while I'm busy. I will spend a evening seperating everything and getting it in order. Like i said before, I will be making a excel spread sheet with everyones information which will make it a lot easier as well.

42 bags may seem like a lot but 15 of them are going to me. 10 for me (plus any half bags that remainand 5 for a buddy.

I also posted this thread on the SAAZ board yesterday.

Would I also be able to add 1lb. of Czech SAAZ hop pellets to the order? No problem if you're only doing grains.

Anyone can add anything to the order if they want. It just needs to fit on the pallet and stay under the weight limit for 1 pallet. Just list what you want and if it becomes a problem down the road i will inform you.

[

Regarding your second question. That is exactly what I plan to do. Each bag will be labelled prior to you picking up your bag or it being shipped (if someone else is picking it up for you). These bags will be where i work so I won't have time to mess around with finding peoples bags of grain while I'm busy. I will spend a evening seperating everything and getting it in order. Like i said before, I will be making a excel spread sheet with everyones information which will make it a lot easier as well.

42 bags may seem like a lot but 15 of them are going to me. 10 for me (plus any half bags that remainand 5 for a buddy.[/QUOTE]

Excellent! Are you planning on using Paypal for payment? BTW someone already made a spreadsheet for keeping track of these things-if you have a minute you might be able to locate it, it might make your life easier.

-d

LOGDRUM,

I already have that excel sheet. Another member of HBT who does group buys gave it to me. I'm on top of it!

I've posted it a few times but paypal, check or money order is fine. If everyone can do paypal that would be the best. Hopefully everyone can send their money as a gift so they don't have to worry about any of the paypal fees.

If anyone needs to contact me by e-mail or phone to discuss this group by, email me at [email protected] and I will send you my phone number. I check that e-mail more often then I do this message board.

This group buy is completely filled

If anyone thinks we can fill another 42 bag order then please PM me.

Here is the final bag count:

(10.5) pola0502ds: (4) GW-2Row (2) GW-Pale (2) TF-MOPA (1) GW-VIEN (1/2) bz-munich (1/2) bz-wheat (1/2) TF-GPRM (1) PBW (1) PH 5.2 STABL
(5) Dave Mathews: (5) bags
(2) John R: (1) BD-MOPA (1) BD-pale
(1) shanecb: (1) BZ-WHT
(2) Super Junior: (2) 2-Row
(3.5) Logdrum: (2) CM 2-Row, (1) CM Pale, (1/2) Vienna
(2.5) AKurk: (1) CM-pale, (1/2) Vienna (1) SAAZ HOPS
(2) Sdragon980: (1) CM-PALE (1) CM-2ROW
(3) BBBrew: (1) CM-6ROW (1) CM-WHT (1) GW-2ROW
(2.5) MSHEPPA: (1) TF-MOPA (1) GW-2ROW (1/2) TF-GPRM
(3) Crackhead7: (1) CM-PALE (1) CM-2ROW (1/2) BZ-Munich (1/2) BZ-WHEAT
(5) Jlb922: (1) GW-PALE (1) BD-MOPA (2) BZ-PILS (1) BZ-MUNH (1) CHINOOK (1) Warrior (1) Cascade

all 1/2 sacks have been accounted for.

Everyone please start to email me your information.

Please send a email to [email protected]

Include:

Your name
Phone Number
Your exact order - including the part numbers from the country malt group price list
How you plan to pay
How you plan to pick up (if someone is picking up for you, let me know)

Once i have all this information I will create a spread sheet and send that out to everyone. This spread sheet will be updated as people pay, etc.. I will post it on google so you can view it anytime you want.

Prior to sending me payments and after I receive everyones email I will send in a request for quote. Once I get it back that spread sheet will list actual prices with totals. I will also send a actual copy of the quote from CMG.

Once everyone is paid up, I will place the order and within a week people should be able to pick up their order.

To plan a little ahead. You can pick up your grains from 1 of 2 places.

Where I work (where it will be delivered):

Crowes Cabinets
725 South Hubbard Road
Lowellville, Ohio 44436

Or

My home address which is:

7209 Clovermeade ave
Poland, Ohio 44514

EDIT: I also wanted to mention that I live about 2-3 miles from the great Vintage Estates. 24 craft beers on tap and now over 900 different beer labels to choose from. You can swing by and pick up your grain then go to the VE for a great beer. You can find a lot of stuff there that no one else can get.

Check them out at: http://vewinebeer.com/

84 bags is a lot of grain to organize. Like i said before i will just start another one after this one gets taken care of.

Saw u tried pming me. I just cleared my inbox. I'm ok if u took me off the list especially if there's noone that will be doing a Pittsburgh pickup. Maybe I'll get in on the next one.

Pola, for some reason my computer is not letting me on the website. could some one give me a rundown on the different types of 2row and prices? thanks

Update for 8/12/11

I am waiting on the email I requested from:

Super Junior
Logdrum
Akurk
Crackhead7 (he's not really a crackhead)

-I know logdrum and Akurk need to work out which brand of vienna they want and give me a part number.
-Super junior needs to give me part numbers
-Crackhead7 just need to send me the email

I have already confirmed that there are people driving up from the pittsburgh area and cleveland area so if you want them to pick up your grains, start a discussion in this thread and work it out. I will keep track of who is picking up what in this spread sheet that I am working on as we speak.

There has been interest in Starsan. We would need at least 6 people to order it so the shipping cost of $15 can be split 6 ways. Shipping = $2.5 Starsan = $12 total = $14.5

I really don't know if it will be worth it. If you have a LHBS then you might break even, if you buy starsan online then you would basically save what it would cost to ship it to you.

Now, if anyone would want to split PBW, that would be a killer deal. A 50# pal is $125. If you buy a 4# jar of it from online or your LHBS you are looking at $20 per 4# pal.

4# jar = $5.00 per pound
50# pal = $2.50 per pound

You save half the cost. If we can get a bunch of people to split it that would be one heck of a deal. Post if interested. I would take 10 pounds of it but if we get more people interested I would take less.

I'm planning on doing a run to pick up Cleveland area bags. Please email me (or post to the forum-not PM) with your details, including your user name.

dlfarmer@sbcglobal[dot]net (brackets added for anti spam measures)

I'm getting 3.5 bags, superjunior is 2 more, I know Marc from SNOBs and Jim from SNOBs have some ordered. Also BBBrew is in. From my count that's about 16 sacks, probably close to my limit. If I've left anyone out let me know. Thanks

David

You guys do realize that you can buy Star San by the case right? Four 1 gallon bottles works out to about $30, with hazmat fee included. That is more than 50% off one of the leading online home brew store. Just remember that if you are buying from The Country Malt Group that hops are generally sold in the 11# package. If you buy just 1# then you need to look at the home brew prices. Good luck with your buy, we are on our fourth round.

AKURK -

Your saaz hops are sold out for this year. Would you like something else?

You guys do realize that you can buy Star San by the case right? Four 1 gallon bottles works out to about $30, with hazmat fee included. That is more than 50% off one of the leading online home brew store. Just remember that if you are buying from The Country Malt Group that hops are generally sold in the 11# package. If you buy just 1# then you need to look at the home brew prices. Good luck with your buy, we are on our fourth round.

Wow, I did not realize that. Thanks for pointing that out.

You heard what the man said, anyone interested?

Just so everyone knows how shipping is figured.

The cost to ship is $110 plus the 20% fuel charge. The total on that is $132. This is based on the information provided on the price list. It may change once we receive our quote back.

I will take orders for misc. items as long as it all fits on one pallet and the shipping rate does not go up.

If we order starsan, the $15 extra charge will be split by those people ordering it only.

How will we split shipping costs? The best way i think would be to take $132 and divide it by the number of items. Then add that dollar amount to each individual item (excluding starsan). The more items we order the cheaper shipping will be on each item.

This is how it will be unless someone speaks up and if anyone thinks it is unfair. I am open to ideas.

logdrum are you going to be going to pick up grain if so can you pick mine up I can even go with you depending on what day and time. let me know what you think

Edit:
This is confusing I have emails, PMs, posts all at the same time. I sent you a e-mail Logdrum and I saw your post after I posted this, so it looks like you have agreed to pick up mine. This group buy is my first time with this so bear with me as my head spins, LOL, must have been too much rock this morning.

logdrum are you going to be going to pick up grain if so can you pick mine up I can even go with you depending on what day and time. let me know what you think

Edit:
This is confusing I have emails, PMs, posts all at the same time. I sent you a e-mail Logdrum and I saw your post after I posted this, so it looks like you have agreed to pick up mine. This group buy is my first time with this so bear with me as my head spins, LOL, must have been too much rock this morning.

See my post above

-d

Back