Kegconnection Complete Starter Kit and More Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brew Market > Group Buys > Central MA/Central CT Group grain buy ??

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-14-2010, 08:25 PM   #21
the_bird
10th-Level Beer Nerd
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 354 Times on 292 Posts
Likes Given: 95

I just shot Kevin Andrews @ Berkshire County Homebrew Supply a message, see what kind of price he could give me for a sack of 2-row and what kind of price he could offer if we cobbled together an order for 10 or 15 sacks. We'll see. I don't begrudge Kevin his profit margin in the least. I also don't see how it's cost effective for grain to make its way from way over in Nashua to the Western part of the state.

"I'm kind of toasted. But I looked at my watch and it's only 6:30 so I can't stop drinking yet." - Yooper's Bob
"Brown eye finally recovered after the abuse it endured in Ptown last weekend, but it took almost a full week." - Paulie
"no, he just doesn't speak 'stupid'. i, however, am fluent...." - motobrewer
"... I'll go both ways." - Melana

That'll do, Pigley. That'll do.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-14-2010, 10:36 PM   #22
k47k
Recipes 

Liked 17 Times on 16 Posts
Likes Given: 3

I have a Country Malt Group account and would be willing to place the order for you guys. I dont need any grain for the next 2 months though since i just did a pallet order.

Old 12-16-2010, 08:59 PM   #23
wesolomon
Recipes 

Default In SE CT...

Would like to be part of an order.... prefer to order in late feb/early march. I will be on travel 1 Jan - 5 Mar.

I would be up for

1#pellets Each Amarillo, Centennial, Magnum, Hallertau tradition(ger), Kent Goldings(uk)

Bags
2 - Best Malz Pis
1 - Best Malz Dark Munich
1 - Best Malz Smoked
2 - Fawcett Optic

1 - 32 oz Starsan (if 3 other people want star stan, I would consider buying a gallon as part of the 4*1 gallon deal)

Bill in Groton, CT
wesolomon@yahoo.com

Old 12-18-2010, 04:54 PM   #24
tomj
Recipes 

Default wallingford,ct

I would commit to the following bags from Country Malt Group:

2- Canada Malting 2 row
1- Thomas Fawcett Maris Otter
1- Thomas Fawcett Golden Promise
2- Best Malz Pilsen
1- Gilbertson flaked wheat
1lb.- Simcoe pellet

Tom
Wallingford, CT
ThomasJermine@yahoo.com

Old 12-18-2010, 05:31 PM   #25
meadowstream
Recipes 

Liked 9 Times on 8 Posts
Likes Given: 34

Default Bulk Grain Buys

I belong to the Worts here in Boston area and we do regular bulk grain buys. We just finished one and the price per 50 or 55 lb sack was about $35. The buys are managed through the wiki - members can edit the order themselves which makes it pretty easy (no one is responsible for maintaining the list and when the list is long enough then the order is put through.)

Probably other homebrew clubs in central mass or ct will use a similar system.

Old 12-19-2010, 01:42 PM   #26
pernox
Recipes 

Liked 18 Times on 16 Posts
Likes Given: 40

Damn, wish I'd seen this earlier. Just ordered five sacks of two-row through DIY in Ludlow (@ $44/ea volume priced - best I could do around here in Pittsfield - Kevin's nice, but damn expensive, and wouldn't come down for me*) - I would definitely be in if this takes place in spring, and I have a truck that I can use to trasport some grain back for other WMA residents.

meadowstream - could a non club member order through your system? I like to buy five or six bags at a time, which would make the ride out worth it for me.

Edit - * As the bird said, I don't begrudge anyone their markup - can't stay in business if you sell everything at cost. But when you're talking a $30 per bag difference, the yankee in me weeps like a schoolgirl.

"God forbid we should ever be twenty years without such a rebellion.... And what country can preserve its liberties, if its rulers are not warned from time to time, that this people preserve the spirit of resistance? Let them take arms.... The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants." - Thomas Jefferson, in letter to William S. Smith, 1787

Old 12-19-2010, 02:15 PM   #27
meadowstream
Recipes 

Liked 9 Times on 8 Posts
Likes Given: 34

Default pernox - worts

Pernox, I think the rules are that you have to be a member to order through the club (pays for things like the yeast library, website, reading library, equipment that can be used by any member, etc.) but the dues are very low - something like $25, and the club is full of very knowledgeable, experience brewers (home and craft.) You (and anyone else) would surely be welcome. With 3 children and my wife at home, I don't participate in group activities other than the grain buys, but there are many and the group is very open to new members.

Old 12-21-2010, 04:47 AM   #28
jaginger
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

i will add 1/2 bag of vienna to my order if anyone wants to split it.

Old 12-21-2010, 06:00 AM   #29
Golddiggie
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 473 Times on 418 Posts
Likes Given: 266

I'd be interested in getting some 2 row (UK) and/or some Marris Otter... Are their hop prices per pound? Anyone interested in splitting some crystal malt bags?

Anyone close to Natick with a grain mill that I could use until I get one of my own? Especially if we place this order...

If this order doesn't happen, then I'll just get the 10 pound bags when getting ready to brew (already crushed)... At some point I'll be looking to get some 55 pound backs of at least the base grain. I would rather get the grains at the better rate, same as a lot of people here. Only thing holding me back from ordering the grains in 55 pound bags (right now) is not having a grain mill yet.

Old 12-21-2010, 09:52 AM   #30
joshs
Recipes 

I am in for at least 1 sack if not 2 if this is really a go.

Josh
Cheshire, CT

Quick Reply