Ss Brewing Technologies Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Food and Beverage > Meat Smoking, Curing and Sausage Making > "Big Red" Kamado Kooker at Menards

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-28-2011, 03:17 AM   #21
pickles
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 48 Times on 40 Posts
Likes Given: 23

Quote:
Originally Posted by virtualfriday View Post
I started it up anyway and got it extra hot to burn it in for about an hour and then tried to damper it down with the vents but they had little effect on reducing the temp. I was hoping that it would be like my Weber Smokey Mountain and quickly respond to any damper changes, nope.
It's a double edged sword with kamado grills. They hold temps great but can be a pain to cool down. You need to sneak up on the target temperature of you'll wait hours for it to cool.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-28-2011, 11:45 AM   #22
Sawdustguy
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 28 Times on 25 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by pickles View Post
It's a double edged sword with kamado grills. They hold temps great but can be a pain to cool down. You need to sneak up on the target temperature of you'll wait hours for it to cool.
That is unless you happen to have a BBQ Guru that fits your Kamado.

Guy

Old 03-28-2011, 04:17 PM   #23
jetmechG550
Recipes 

Guru or Stoker control temp well but I've never had a problem getting the temp down not using it. I made some chicken breasts last night and on the start got my BGE up to about 500 to clean the grate up, adjusted the daisy wheel to my usual spot, walked in the house, grabbed the platter of chicken, my beer, walked out and my egg was coming down through 400, put the breasts on shut the lid and 350.

Old 03-28-2011, 04:31 PM   #24
Oldyote
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by jetmechG550 View Post
Guru or Stoker control temp well but I've never had a problem getting the temp down not using it.

The problems come into play if you get a roaring furnace and then try to use it as a smoker. If you get the egg up to 700 degrees and your whole firebox is glowing red, its very hard to bring the temps down to anything below 300.

When I'm going to use the egg as a smoker I load up the firebox with lump but start two or three pieces of lump going in metal can. When those two or three pieces are glowing I set them right in the middle of the full fire box.

Then I put in the guru, set it at 220 and I never have to do another thing.

going 90 I ain't scary cuz I got the virgin mary assuring me that I won't go to hell

Old 03-28-2011, 04:58 PM   #25
pickles
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 48 Times on 40 Posts
Likes Given: 23

Oldyote - +1

Old 03-28-2011, 08:10 PM   #26
jetmechG550
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldyote View Post
The problems come into play if you get a roaring furnace and then try to use it as a smoker. If you get the egg up to 700 degrees and your whole firebox is glowing red, its very hard to bring the temps down to anything below 300.

When I'm going to use the egg as a smoker I load up the firebox with lump but start two or three pieces of lump going in metal can. When those two or three pieces are glowing I set them right in the middle of the full fire box.

Then I put in the guru, set it at 220 and I never have to do another thing.
Why the hell would you let it get to 700 if you intend to use it as a smoker cooking at temps around 225?

When I go low and slow I either use a MAPP or two started blocks cut in half and placed in a diamond around the center, light it up, and 10 minutes later put the Stoker on, the highest I have seen in when doing that is about 350. I only go nuclear for steaks and pizza and when I do steaks I sear at 700+ for 90 seconds per side, steaks come off and then bring it down to 500 and finish them. 700+ to 500 is less than 10 minutes because that's how long I let the steaks settle. I've never had a problem manually bringing the temp down but granted this is with the Egg, maybe other Komodo's are harder to control or bring temps down but I have a buddy with a Primo and never heard him complain either.

Old 03-28-2011, 08:22 PM   #27
Oldyote
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by jetmechG550 View Post
Why the hell would you let it get to 700 if you intend to use it as a smoker cooking at temps around 225?
I guess I should have been more to the point.

Once the egg heats up beyond 300 its hard to bring it back down to smoking temps.

going 90 I ain't scary cuz I got the virgin mary assuring me that I won't go to hell

Old 03-28-2011, 09:57 PM   #28
virtualfriday
Recipes 

I definately got mine hot for about 30 minutes 650 +- deg. After that I shut all the vents down even latched the lid and could only get it to drop 100-150 degrees. 2-3 hours later it was still over 300 fully closed up.

I contacted the company, they have no parts and suggested a store exchange.

Old 04-03-2011, 04:30 AM   #29
virtualfriday
Recipes 

Used it again and once I got the charcoal started up could not get it to drop below 400, must have multiple air leaks. Once again after I was done cooking I shut it down all they way with the top+bottom vent latched the lid shut and an hour later it was still around 400.

Old 04-03-2011, 05:19 AM   #30
jetmechG550
Recipes 

Finally saw one today, it looked alright and I couldn't tell if the fit when the lid was shut was a little off because it may have been put together sort of halfassed as a floor display or what it was. The little latch to pull the lid down seemed a bit odd too but I guess since it wasn't really all that heavy needed something to help seal it.

Quick Reply