Switching to Electric: Looking for critique of my plan

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TheBrewinator

Reaction score
I brewed with propane for 2.5 years before having to take a hiatus at the end of 2012 to complete my Ph.D., move for a new job, and have a kid. I now live in an association that isn't keen on me brewing with my propane burner and I've been itching to start brewing again so I'm going to switch to electric.

I plan to keep the same simple system I used before where my keggle is both a HLT and BK. I mash in a converted cooler. I plan to use the same system of heating water in the ekettle, pumping it to the mash tun, collecting my running's in another vessel until my sparge is done then going to the boil.

I have decided I am going to use the attached schematic from PJ. One day I am going to upgrade to a RIMS or HERMS system so I'm going with the PID from the start instead of using a SSVR. My main question about this schematic is I can't seem to find a DPST switch that is rated for 25A at 240v. Does anyone know of one or could I get away with using the indicator light and the DPDT found in his other PID schematic with a PID?

GFCI is going to come from a spa panel. To start, I am going to have to use the 3 to 4 wire configuration. I have read the arguments and had some of them myself, I know the limitations and potential dangers however given the reality of my situation, that is my only option currently so I'm not looking to rehash that. We plan on buying a house within the next year anyway and once that happens, the spa panel will be wired with 4 wires all the way back to the main breaker box.

As far as my pump, it has its own GFCI 15A outlet so I'm not going to configure it into the control panel right now, I'll probably add it to the panel once my system expands in the future.

I have priced out buying the parts for the element and gang box itself and decided for the 50-60 bucks I would save, I'm just going to buy that kit from the electric brewery.

I think that about covers it, if anyone sees any major issues, please point them out, or if anyone has advice on building an electric system, please feel free to share it.

Thanks.

PJ 4500 Single Element no pump PID.jpg

I have another question about the E-stop. Would the red E-stop button from Auber work as well or as you have it diagrammed is the switch from automation direct required? Thanks again for all your help answering questions and providing your diagrams P-J.

I have another question about the E-stop. Would the red E-stop button from Auber work as well or as you have it diagrammed is the switch from automation direct required? Thanks again for all your help answering questions and providing your diagrams P-J.
You can most certainly use the Auber Instruments E-Stop. No problem.

(By the way - the diagram was originally drawn before Auber Instruments carried the switch. Just saying. --50 cheers for Auber Instruments for supporting us.!!! I certainly support him.!

P-J

Back