SSVR coupled to PID/SSR

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gtg644w

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I've done several searches with no luck.

I built a controller for a 240 V element with SSR/PID in the past, I've got that down. (thanks to info gained on this site, thanks all :mug:)

My question is can I put a SSVR for phase control in series with that SSR ?

motivation/ features I want out of the controller:
1) boil control with SSVR only (PID in always ON mode/ or bypassed all together)
2) use minimal hardware (put them in series and use one plug on box)
3) maybe toy with SSVR phase control held at a constant during the use of the PID/SSR to alter on/off cycles to my SSR & element

Should work, right? Any input welcome.

Is there any reason that the SSVR couldn't be wired inline with a traditional SSR output? My thinking is that after I am done mashing and want to boil I could just set A PID to like 250 and control the intensity of my boil with the SSVR Knob

Browsing/ "manual searching" gave me a discussion here, but I'm not sure I have my answer. Anybody tried this?

Depending on the power of the element and the volume of water I am not satisfied that PID in manual mode would do what I want, because I have done that before. Certain scenarios give a start stop boil or too vigorous a boil, or have my SSR firing like crazy. I will accept hardheadedness and possibility of this not being necessary, I just want to know if there is another practical downside. "manual searching" will continue as time allows...

example of controller here http://www.artisan-distiller.net/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=62&t=8468

thanks

I would agree that SSVR would provide a more granular approach to boil control, it would be a little confusing to the PID's auto tune feature if you run it at various SSVR settings. In other words, if you're running the SSVR at half cycle during PID tuning, and later run it at full cycle, the system will be far more dynamic than the PID thought. On the other hand, I can see running both the SSVR and PID auto mode for something like a high wattage RIMS where you want to have more gentle heating for most of the time. That's basically why I like running big 240v elements at 120v.

If you want to keep the PID capability consider adding a switch or contactor to power the SSR/PID OR the SSVR in parallel.

If you want to hook them up in series you will probably need to run the SSVR at max power each time when in PID mode like the suggestion above or set the PID to "thermostat mode".

I accomplished this on my build by using the single SSVR with a relay output PID controlling a contactor to enable/disable the heating element. I disable the PID algorithm so there are not excessive cycles to the relay and contactor.

Anyone willing to do a quick sketch of the wiring on this, I think I may go this route as well

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

Back