Ss Brewing Technologies Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Electric Brewing > Simple e-build....analog kettle control

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-08-2013, 11:08 PM   #1
nlange3
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default Simple e-build....analog kettle control

I've been lurking in this forum and recently decided to go the electric route due to a recent move to the Pacific Northwest and a nice basement I have claimed as a man cave. I've built a stand based on Kal's, and have some 20(18) gallon kettles on order from round eye supply. I'd like to build a fairly simple 240 setup utilizing a camco 5500 element in the hlt and kettle. I want to control the hlt with a PID/rtd that I've ordered from auber. I plan to have a 40A SSR amd 25A dpst toggle switch in between the PID and element, exactly like this instructable (http://m.instructables.com/id/Electr...LLSTEPS)...who i think is a member here. Controlling the brew kettle element is where I am stumped. Rather than manually unplug cord for the hlt and plug in the kettle and use the PID in manual mode, I want a seperate outlet on the control panel controlled by a kyotto ( http://www.ebay.com/itm/140553987088...mobile&afsrc=1 ) and another dpst toggle switch. Anybody see any issues with wiring up the dpst and Kyotto deal in the box along with the setup shown in the instructable? Any other recommendations for a cheap, analog control for the kettle?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-10-2013, 08:39 PM   #2
jCOSbrew
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 37 Times on 33 Posts
Likes Given: 7

2 elements and 2 SSRs will work fine as long as only one is powered at a time.
You could use a DPDT ON-OFF-ON toggle switch to select either kettle ON, both OFF, or MLT ON. The switch will need to handle 25A at 220v.

Alternately, you could use a toggle or rotary switch to control the coil to two AC contactors, one for each element. An e-stop could also be wired to easily disable both contactors. See kals design on theelectricbrewer.com for details.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply