my build -all electric blinged out controller

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BigFloppy

Reaction score
I talked the talk and did the walk on the daughters boyfriends build, now it's time for my monster to take shape..

These are my initial "mock ups"

proposedbuild-62090.jpg

ah, there's a screen in there's, what's that for I hear you ask...
forumsafe_timer_troller-61970.jpg

The screen pictured is a 7" (800x480 tft display) driven by custom code on an Arduino... I'm also toying with the idea of some serious bling by changing this out for an 8" Windows 8 tablet, undecided quite yet

:ban:

If you're going to do all that work on the arduino thought about using the PID library rather than the hardware solution? Looks sweet BTW!

well, BigFloppy PM'd me the logo. I can certify that no, it is not safe for general viewing. I would buy a 6-pack with that logo in a heart-beat though... so fingers crossed he goes commercial

What arduino are you using to drive that screen?? I dont think the Mega has enough memory and even if it did wouldnt redraws be slow?

I was about to ask the same question. That's a pretty slick looking color display, I'm curious what microcontroller you're using to drive it and if you're writing the software, or if you're tweaking an existing project.

Very nice.

it's a mega 2560 - graphics and brew info are loaded from SD... text is loaded from local flash memory on the display itself...
Once the main screen is drawn, the logo basically stays static and I use only 1/2 the screen for menu choices and run-time info

So the Arduino is only being used for temperature and timing reporting?? The Aubers are doing the actual control? What are you using for Temp sensors? DS18B20's?

Very interesting....

So the Arduino is only being used for temperature and timing reporting?? The Aubers are doing the actual control? What are you using for Temp sensors? DS18B20's?

Very interesting....
Arduino is purely a glorified timer, big and brash
No temp reporting at all.

The temperatures on there are purely for information purposes, once a timer triggers, I pull in a relay to sound the main panel alarm which prompts me to change temps as needed... the -> on there shows me which part of the brew cycle I'm in.

Would be really nice if I could "auto-update" the new temperature(s) to the aubers via serial interface but that's not available :(

Arduino is purely a glorified timer, big and brash

AWESOME! :rockin:

Are you going to trust the Arduino for a timepiece or use a RTC module?

I've got all the hardware except the screen.... and now I'm looking at screens...

Arduino can handle timing easily, no need to go RTC... geez, even if the alarm signal is off by a second or 3 on a 30 minute mash cycle, I don't think it's really going to hurt my brew.

Make sure you get a screen that has ability to upload characters to it... these are the newer generation displays.
I suspect even an old type display will not show too many issues even if redraw times are a little slow

It's all about bling factor

I talked the talk and did the walk on the daughters boyfriends build, now it's time for my monster to take shape..

These are my initial "mock ups"

proposedbuild-62090.jpg

ah, there's a screen in there's, what's that for I hear you ask...
forumsafe_timer_troller-61970.jpg

The screen pictured is a 7" (800x480 tft display) driven by custom code on an Arduino... I'm also toying with the idea of some serious bling by changing this out for an 8" Windows 8 tablet, undecided quite yet

:ban:
I was going to use a similar aluminum tool case from harbor frieght myself but ended up going plastic. Looks sweet but why so many knobs?
and that rex only does celcius.. Im replacing mine because of it... very anoying to have to convert constantly.

I was going to use a similar aluminum tool case from harbor frieght myself but ended up going plastic. Looks sweet but why so many knobs?
and that rex only does celcius.. Im replacing mine because of it... very anoying to have to convert constantly.

The rex is only there as a place holder, for buttons,

2x pump switches
1x main power
3x alarm off
3x element / aux power enable
1x pid selector
1x e-stop

Me thinks you'll need a bigger box :mug:
It's going to be tight, that's a definte! The 240V 14L30 connectors alone are 2.25" diameter and about 2.5" deep

Should be poking holes in the side of the box this weekend

I'll also be picking up some Auber RTD's sometime this week whenever I get chance to drive to Auber's offices to pickup

Last things on my hit-list to acquire are a mill and all the hardware connectsrs for the keggles

I was thinking of using a tablet myself. Much easier setup if you are using a web interface and I've found most small screens are low resolution compared to a tablet. Though resolution isn't that important I suppose. Nice plan!

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Home Brew mobile app

Well, there goes my bonus for this year, it's amazing how much stainless camlocks and associated needs actually cost isn't it :rockin:

2 cooler spigots (10 and 5 gallon), herms and rims parts (camlocks, bulkheads and ball-valves) etc

- Premium Standard Bulkhead kit keg / cooler
- VALVE: 2 piece valve - SS
- INSIDE OPTION Standard Coupling
- HOSE BARB for valve: <NONE> Premium Standard 1 $25.00 $25.00
- Premium Standard Bulkhead kit keg / cooler
- INSIDE OPTION FEMALE x 1/2" Hose Barb
- HOSE BARB for valve: <NONE> Premium Standard 1 $26.00 $26.00
- KEG weldless bulkhead kit
- VALVE: Stainless 2 piece valve
- INSIDE OPTION: COUPLING - Standard option
- HOSE BARB for valve: <NONE> KEG Bulkhead 5 $21.00 $105.00
- Premium LONG Bulkhead kit keg / cooler
- INSIDE OPTION 45 turn
- HOSE BARB for valve: <NONE> Premium LONG 1 $25.99 $25.99
1/2" SS Camlock A Style Quick Disconnect 1/2" Camlock A 2 $3.70 $7.40
1/2" SS Camlock F style fitting Quick Disconnect 1/2" Camlock F 10 $3.99 $39.90
HIGH FLOW STREET 90 elbow HIGHFLOWStreet 1 $6.25 $6.25
1/2" SS Camlock C style fitting Quick Disconnect 1/2" Camlock C 10 $5.99 $59.90
1/2" NPT x 1/2" Tube Compression 90 degree adapter SS 1/2NPT x 1/2 tube 90 2 $19.99 $39.98
1/2" NPT nipple close 1/2nptnipclose 10 $2.75 $27.50
1/2" NPT Cross Stainless 1/2 NPT cross 2 $7.75 $15.50

Sub-Total: $378.42
Postal Priority / First class - USA MAILING ADDRESS REQUIRED: $5.00
Total: $383.42

I've been beating Fred from Monster Mill up on prices for the last month, he finally cracked when I threatened him with some crisp $20 bills
Blinged out Stainless Monster Mill 3 acquired yesterday!

All ancillary equipment is either on route or physically here... now I can get back to the business of finishing my electrical build

Suppose it's time for me to reveal my diagram... Not as clean as one of PJ's drawings but you should get the gist.

Yes, you do see 3 fans at the side of the SSR, they are out of a dell 1u server and are blowing straight across the heatsink.
Missing from the mix is a pair of stainless float switches that are wired to the SSR positive trigger for HERMS and BOIL
AND.. a selector switch for the center PID RTD so I can either monitor the mash or drive a RIMS tube for sparge water

first-63653.jpg

certainly couldn't have accomplished where I am right now without these guys...
Top: Stripper and Crimper
Bottom: Ferrule Crimper
major_tools-63755.jpg

Well, I cracked my touchscreen... not good!

BUT

Rather than spending another $75 bucks on a tft touchscreen display for the arduino, figured that as MicroCenter has 7" Windows 8.1 Tablets (model TW700) on sale for $60 or less, figured I'd change things up and go the full blown tablet route instead. I'll be keeping the Arduino and opening serial communications to it for timer trigger etc so there's going to be more programming but it should be easier programming overall

Latest posts

Back