High Gravity Brew eBIAB Opinions

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cody6173

Reaction score
I've searched the forum and there are a few threads but I haven't found a real in depth review of this little guy from highgravitybrew.com

http://www.highgravitybrew.com/productcart/pc/BIAB-Electric-Brewing-System-158p3987.htm#.Ur1_Dp3nZ9A

What are everyone's opinions on the system? Currently, I'm a cooler and pot brewer but I'm wrapping up my shed/brewhouse project and looking to upgrade. Initially, I was leaning toward a traditional three vessel system but I really like the automation that is possible with electric brewing systems. With a 14 month old and a 4 month old at home and working 60 hours a week my time is in short supply right now so I'm all about making brewing easier and quicker without sacrificing quality if possible. I realize I could probably build a similar system for a little cheaper but my wiring skills are limited and again I'd be getting into that time vs money trade off. Quite frankly, right now my time is worth more to me than the money that I would be saving by trying to build my own eBIAB system. I'm thinking that I would likely spring for the EBC-III controller in case I wanted to go from BIAB to a three vessel eBrewery later on. Also, just for grins and giggles with the 82 qt pot can anyone tell me approximately what would be the max gravity possible for a 10 gallon batch? Right now all I brew are 5 gallon batches but i'd like to have the option for 10 gallon later on.

I did check that one out. I had hoped maybe someone who had owned the system for a while would throw their 2¢ in about reliability, pros, cons, and whether they would buy again or even if there are better options out there.

I had hoped maybe someone who had owned the system for a while would throw their 2¢ in about reliability, pros, cons, and whether they would buy again or even if there are better options out there.
Cody,
I'm waiting for the same thing. A few things that are causing me to wait on the purchase:

1. Another hobby that is a money drain and that needs to be done prior to my really getting in to brewing.

2. There's a lot of debate on the BIAB forum about the usefulness of the basket. It seems to cause trouble with recirculation if you use it with the fine meshed Swiss Voile bag material but not so much if you use the coarser paint-strainer bags.

3. There continues to be debate about how useful it is to recirculate during mash to maintain the temp. Even pumping wort out thru the tubing back to the top tends to cool down the wort. Some say it isn't worth the trouble - preferring to simply ramp up to strike temp, dough in, get the correct mash temp, then power off. Check periodically to apply heat while stirring like crazy.

4. When recirculating, one should really have the ball valve "after" the pump in order to control the flow. IOW, you don't control the flow by turning down the ball valve attached to the kettle (prior to the pump). High Gravity provides some resistance to flow thru the use of the little sprayer attachment inside the lid. Coupled with the coarser paint strainer bag, it appears to work for their system.

5. I really do like their controller. I'd love to build my own, but I simply don't have the energy to do it with all the other things I have to do.

Naturally, the above issues are not based upon my own personal experience. They represent things that I have been trying to consider that I've learned from studying numerous threads that are informing my decision whether to purchase this system or piece together my own.

If I don't go with the High Gravity system, I will likely piece together my own from:

1. 15 gallon kettle - possibly from Spike Brewing - with optional 1" NPS coupler welded on to accomodate the heating element.
2. probably no basket
3. 220V 4500-5500 ULWD heating element
4. either the new stainless steel element housing recently introduced by Bobby of brewhardware.com or the very nice element by Kal from theelectricbrewery.com.
5. either the High Gravity EBC-SV (the controller in the set) or their EBC-II if I simply want to imitate with electricity what I'd be doing with propane.
6. I'm leaning towards recirculating. Either way, I will probably have use for a pump if I choose not to recirculate.

Just my 2 cents' worth.

Respectfully,
Keith

Hi Guys,

1. You're going to need a bigger kettle for 10 gallon batches of high gravity brews. 15 gallon ain't gonna cut it.

2. Basket - you don't need so stinking basket :)

3. If you got the amps go 5500w

4. Home depot has a nice element for ~$20.

5. Keep it simple on the controller.

6. Insulate don't recirculate.

1. Heat your water to strike temp with PID. Use a cheap harbor freight pump in the kettle to circulate the water.
2. Pull the pump and Dough in
3. Insulate - do not open to stir
4. Pull the bag
5. Pull some wort for OG and a starter
6. Run your boil.
7. Dump to no chill.
8. Wash your kettle and bag.

Done in less than 3 hours.

I bought the controller from this (http://electricbiab.com/Buy_Now_.php) system. Having used the controller for a couple of brew sessions now, I wish either 1) I started with the complete system from the beginning, or 2) went with a DIY custom BCS-460/BCS-462 system. Having not gone with that complete system, I now see the advantages of the rest of the parts, and am having to build up my system to replicate all of the features. It will be good when it's done, but wasn't the cost effective way to go.

Knowing more about electric brewing though, and for the sake of future system growth, a custom system would allow you to adapt to larger/additional brew pots and allow for monitoring other parts of your overall system like fermentation control. That said, I am handy and am willing to spend equal time building a brew system and brewing beer. Based on the Electric Brewery's design, I am diagramming up a minimal system based on a two pot system and the BCS-460. I like gadgets and have plenty of brewing friends, so I don't mind buying stuff and experimenting with different equipment and techniques. Anything I don't use again I can sell off or trade away. Plus I am learning a lot in the process.

I ordered one of those systems from high gravity and it will be here tomorrow. I need to finish my basement (cut a hole for the exhaust) before I can use it. Unfortunately, Saturday looks like my best day to do that. It will be a heat wave of 28 degrees that day. Once i get it running and do a batch or two, I'll let you know how it goes. I was torn on the recirc, too, but figured I'd go all in.

Cheap, Harbor Freight pump? You want a food grade pump that can handle high temperatures. I think it would be foolish to make any concessions there, and if you cannot get enough details about the pump's suitability for purpose I would stay away from it.

Cheap, Harbor Freight pump? You want a food grade pump that can handle high temperatures. I think it would be foolish to make any concessions there, and if you cannot get enough details about the pump's suitability for purpose I would stay away from it.

The poster suggested a pump to recirculate when heating the strike water. There are some food safe solar pumps on ebay for about $50. If you don't need or want a pump for your system just sir w/ a spoon or mash paddle.

Having the PID control for strike water and mash temp is nice because you can do something else like crush grains or measure hops while you are waiting.

The poster suggested a pump to recirculate when heating the strike water. There are some food safe solar pumps on ebay for about $50. If you don't need or want a pump for your system just sir w/ a spoon or mash paddle.

Having the PID control for strike water and mash temp is nice because you can do something else like crush grains or measure hops while you are waiting.

"1. Heat your water to strike temp with PID. Use a cheap harbor freight pump in the kettle to circulate the water."

Advising someone to use a "cheap harbor freight pump" without adding that it should be food safe and rated for the temperature could result in some bad beer, or worse.

Back