*Ss Brewing Technologies Giveaway - Enter Now!*

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Electric Brewing > Grounding just the element in kettle?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-17-2011, 04:50 PM   #11
Ohio-Ed
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 19 Times on 18 Posts

A word of caution... your ground "bond" needs to be of significant size and mechanical connection to carry the full potential current load. I've seen several threads where folks talk about different ways to make a ground connection... just because you can use a meter to measure a connection it may not be a "good bond". When you talk about "sandwiching a wire", it just makes me a little nervous. If you don't have a good bond, you may not know it until it fails then you have BIG problems.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-17-2011, 05:08 PM   #12
Coldies
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ohio-Ed View Post
A word of caution... your ground "bond" needs to be of significant size and mechanical connection to carry the full potential current load. I've seen several threads where folks talk about different ways to make a ground connection... just because you can use a meter to measure a connection it may not be a "good bond". When you talk about "sandwiching a wire", it just makes me a little nervous. If you don't have a good bond, you may not know it until it fails then you have BIG problems.
I looped my ground (12 gauge wire) through the reducing washer and then sandwhiched it to the kettle. I totally understand where your coming from and I am in no way saying that this is a end all way of doing it. Hopefully the OP knows to do this at his own risk and check everything twice before plugging in. In my case I drilled my 1500 watt 120 volt element hole in the kettle smaller so I actually have to thread the element into the kettle as well. I figured with the element to kettle connection there and the reducing washer touching the element as well and the ground being sandwhiched in between this should be enough.

Old 08-17-2011, 05:48 PM   #13
ekjohns
Feedback Score: 3 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 20 Times on 19 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Yes that makes sense. I will keep that in mind. I tend to be a worrier so my only concern would be the wire popping out or rusting or somehow loosing contact. What I was thinking the last time I looked at my diagram was soldering a nut onto the reducing washer so I could run a wire from that and have it soldered on the other end to a SS washer that I would thread in front of my thermometer thus grounding the pot with no concern of a loose wire or something getting knocked. Kind of ugly but better to error on the side of caution

Quick Reply