Brew Cave Under Constrction

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

GuernzWeed

Reaction score
Hi everyone. I like would start by giving a huge thank you to this forum and all those who share their knowledge. A special thanks to P-J, Tiber Brew, and Kal. I have spent a lot of time studying P-J's schematics and all I can say is P-J you are a very genuine good hearted person for all the work you do and help you give. Tiber and Kal I have studied your builds and they are fantastic. I will be stealing a lot of ideas from both of you for my build.

I will be using three converted keggels in a single tier eHerms system with two chugger pumps. RTD sensors in each keggel along with analog thermometers. Not sure if I want to go with quick disconnects or Camlocks for my connections (suggestions). A counter-flow wort chiller like this http://www.midwestsupplies.com/convoluted-counter-flow-wort-chiller.html.

I'll start off by posting a real, I mean real rough pic (we all love pics) of how I would like my control panel laid out as of now. I did this in about about an hour with a ruler, paper and scissors so it's rough.

I open for any and all suggestions and anything else I missed.

ControlPanel.jpg

Thanks for the advise. I will most likely go with Camlock connections. I have a couple questions regarding RTD sensors.
1. Directly in the tank or at the valve coming out of the tank? This is in regards to the mash tank and getting the most accurate reading of the wort during the mashing process.
2. For RTD's mounted in the tanks. How far in should the probe be?

At the Electric Brewery site, this is Kal's reasoning of mounting the probes at the output:
The temperature probes for the Hot Liquor Tank and Mash/Lauter Tun are located in the plumbing at the kettle output while the Boil Kettle probe is installed directly in the kettle wall.

In process control systems such as ours that involve fluid recirculating, temperature monitoring is usually done in the plumbing instead of in the kettle. This helps avoid temperature misreads due to stratification (layering). This is not an issue in the Boil Kettle as the violent boiling action continuously stirs the wort to ensure an even temperature throughout the kettle.

Stratification is most likely to occur in the Mash/Lauter Tun. A temperature probe placed in the grain through the side of the kettle would only be measuring one location. We would not know when the entire grain bed is at the desired target temperature as it heats slowly from top to bottom. By placing the probe at the kettle output we ensure that the entire mash temperature is being monitored. For example, when we increase the Hot Liquor Tank temperature to 168F to perform a mash-out, the water in the Hot Liquor Tank will reach 168F before the grain in the Mash/Lauter Tun. It is only when the Mash/Lauter Tun also reads 168F that we know that the whole grain bed is at 168F. Placing the probe elsewhere would not provide us with this accuracy.

Thank you snail. So I will mount my thermal couple probes in the outlets of the HLT and MLT. How far in the BK should the TC probe be mounted? I'm going to attempt to build my own probes. I have several different lengths.

Back