Bonus Season... time to upgrade the brew rig (50A 2 tier RIMS)

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Lucky_Chicken

Reaction score
So... we got a bonus this year, so the wife said I should do something for me. That means building an all electric rig so I can brew indoors in bad weather. I will keep this updated with my progress.

What I am thinking so far:
5500W keggle for the boil run on a PWM circuit
2000W? RIMs tube run on a PID from my current plastic cooler MT
5500W keggle for the MLT on a PID circuit

I may try to control the output to the two 5500W elements so I can run them both at partial power?

I will be building the stand out of wood and sealed with some deck stain. I thought about using an old computer case for the control panel (but it wont be water proof) not sure if I will, but that would allow low voltage controls for cheep since it already has a power supply.

So far the only things I have on order is the stuff to set up the PWM circuit. I am working on a wiring diagram and a brew stand layout, I will post them when I like them.

Let me know your thoughts or what you would do differently on yours. Thanks ahead of time!

what I am thinking on the control panel layout... might be a mirror image depending on how I lay out the stand

controlpanel.jpg

plumbing layout...

plumbing.jpg

sorry for any confusion... I'm not exactly a "ProExcel" artist

first crack at the wiring diagram... let me know if you all see any issues... don't laugh at my paint skills

wiringdiagram.jpg

for simplicity i left out the wiring diagrams that are elsewhere on here for the amp meter and the PWM... Thanks to those who posted them!! I will borrow shamelessly.

Will it be a problem that everything runs off of one leg to be caught by the amp meter... should some be run off the other leg?

Parts have started to arrive...

DSCF3189.jpg

therefore I had to start working on it... started with the PWM circuit. Who knew I could solder... well at least the first couple looked good.

DSCF3191.jpg

DSCF3192.jpg

DSCF3193.jpg

DSCF3198.jpg

DSCF3201.jpg

Something I learned... drinking and electronic assembly doesn't work too well as much as I hate to say it.

now its just waiting on the SSR to get here and some modification to my power supply so I can test it!

I'm sad nobody has at least given some encouragement yet.

On your diagram, you have the on/off switches for all 3 elements breaking the SSR's control circuit. If one of your ssr's fails closed it'll leave your element powered up. You've got an e-stop, but I would recommend moving those switches to a/the (depending on the element) hot leg between the SSR and element. Also, I'd use the switch to control a mechanical relay that actually closes the element circuit. It keeps you fomr switching the full load power (you can use a smaller control current/voltage to operate the relay, just in case).

One other comment, you don't have any circuit protection in there. You should add appropriately sized fusing or breakers. It's really not 100% necessary, so long as you use wires, switches and lights capable of carrying the full current, but wiring that thing up with 8ga throughout will be a bear. If you throw some fuses in there you'll be able to use much lighter ga wire to power the pid's, power supplies, and basically everythign but the elements. Makes for a cleaner and less frustrating job.

If you want check this out. I'm not saying that you should follow it, but it shows how I wired up my panel.

I am planning on fuses but didnt put them in the drawing.

The element on indicator will identify if the ssr fails open, letting me know the element is on. I will look into contactors for each element, what size enclosure would you recommend? I am afraid I will run out of room on a fairly large enclosure with what I have now.

weekend work update...

I got more parts in, still missing fuses and the contactor that was sugested. I have been off the ball and havent ordered the PID's yet, so I am starting with everything else. Here is what I have so far.

Laying out the panel so I will have enough space for the PIDs
DSCF3206.jpg

first switches mounted
DSCF3207.jpg

everything but the SSR mounted (waiting for the contactor to make sure I have enough room) wiring started... My wire routing will not look nearly as nice as some others!
DSCF3209.jpg

let me know your thoughts... should be able to start on the sculpture this week and keg modification.

I still have to figure out what I want to use for a HLT, any sugestions are welcome. I have an aluminum turkey frier that I thought about using (then wont be able to fry turkeys) or a 7.5 gallon ss brew pot. Both would need a bunch of mods.

Looking good. The only thing I can say that might be useful (as I'm learning about everything for an electric rig myself) is that regulator (LM317?) on your PWM could probably benefit from a heatsink. I've used a couple of those on stir plate builds and they get pretty hot. I just tossed on a little heatsink I found at radioshack.

Looking good. The only thing I can say that might be useful (as I'm learning about everything for an electric rig myself) is that regulator (LM317?) on your PWM could probably benefit from a heatsink. I've used a couple of those on stir plate builds and they get pretty hot. I just tossed on a little heatsink I found at radioshack.

thanks for the heads up, I hadnt even thought about that... I am almost done with the control panel, then I will be working on the stand and converting a keg... hopefully be testing before long! I will check it to see how hot it gets so i dont have to make a special trip unless necessary.

thanks for the heads up, I hadnt even thought about that... I am almost done with the control panel, then I will be working on the stand and converting a keg... hopefully be testing before long! I will check it to see how hot it gets so i dont have to make a special trip unless necessary.

Your welcome. Just don't touch it when powered unless you want to get a cool hair-do. My first stir plate I attached a piece of scrap aluminum I had laying around, the second I used an actual heatsink...the former seemed to do the trick though, just not as pretty.

Time for an update... so what I have got done so far...
Finished the wiring minus the element, the space where the beer is is space for stage 2 of the build to add components for the hlt and the rims tube
DSCF3211.jpg

Made a mess... who knew wiring was so messy
DSCF3214.jpg

the front of the control panel as it sits now.
DSCF3213.jpg

brew sculpture plan
DSCF3218.jpg

step one
DSCF3216.jpg

where I had to stop sunday... one board shy of having everything in the scraps pile
DSCF3219.jpg

the final product. Still needs stained and a pump mount on the bottom, but done till I get the pump and plumbing parts.
DSCF3221.jpg

DSCF3220.jpg

just placed the last order with bargainfittings.com... hopefully thats everything that needs ordered to complete this build!

just placed the last order with bargainfittings.com... hopefully thats everything that needs ordered to complete this build!

wow that was fast!!! Just got my order, everything looks great... now I have to run to the hardware store and get my kegs polished and holes cut quicker. I wasn't expecting this stuff till next week. Thanks! :mug:

On a side note I probably should have ordered more hose... 4' will be enough for part... we will see once the pump gets here and where everything gets routed.

I got the element and the ball valves mounted now I am working on plumbing until the last of my control panel components come in. No pics to update right now but after mounting the element I have noticed something. Everyone shows pictures of their elements mounted in the kegs and I have never noticed before but in real life it looks a long way further off the bottom!

PS: I will probably have to place another order with bargain fittings... I dont think I ordered enough hose... my new recomendation for anyone doing this is to figure up how much you need and double it, then you might be close.

I like the control panel case, going to look great. Make sure you have some way to vent the hot air since you have the heat sinks inside.

I dont know if anyone is watching my build but I have made some progress over the christmas break. I am still waiting on a couple shipments then it will be time to water test, heat test, and brew the first batch. (waiting on one element nut from bargainfittings.com oops, 2 SSRs from ebay, and 2 temperature sensors. All should be here this week or next!)

I am a picture whore so without further delay:

got the stand stained and the copper started
DSCF3224.jpg

pump mounted and splash guard
DSCF3229.jpg

Junction box for the pump mounted sealed and wired
DSCF3232.jpg

built my sparge arm and stir stick (hopefully I dont ruin the cooler with it)
DSCF3236.jpg

all plumbed up
DSCF3237.jpg

boil kettle
DSCF3238.jpg

hot liquer tank
DSCF3240.jpg

grant/ rims
DSCF3241.jpg

HLT lid (I cut the BK as big as possable and the HLT smaller so I could use the top... ok so I didnt plan it but it works!)
DSCF3239.jpg

everything mounted to the lid of the control panel
DSCF3245.jpg

almost everything on the front of the pannel (I added a indoor/ outdoor thermometer to it so I can see ambient temps and inside the box temps)
DSCF3226.jpg

everything but the rims and hlt SSR's
DSCF3244.jpg

let me know what you think!

I like this build. My only comments are that wooden brewstand construction is always cumbersome. I like the 1 up, 2 down, two-tier configuration. Tell us more about the RIMS/Grant. I like how much easier it looks to build than a tube. Have you tested it out yet?

I have my pumps mounted like yours, and I was wondering what you plan on doing (or what other people have done) to clean them out after brew day. I run hot water through everything and then cleanitizer through it all before putting it up, but it seems like there would be stuff caught in the pump head since it's mounted like that.

I've heard of people using compressed air to blow their pump out. That seems awkward, as does taking apart the pump head every time to let it drain and dry. Thoughts, suggestions?

Nice setup by the way. I dig the electronics box.

I like this build. My only comments are that wooden brewstand construction is always cumbersome. I like the 1 up, 2 down, two-tier configuration. Tell us more about the RIMS/Grant. I like how much easier it looks to build than a tube. Have you tested it out yet?

I dont understand the "wooden brewstand is cumbersome"?

I bounced around a couple times on the grant/ RIMS was origionally going to build a tube, then was going to mount an electric burner to the underside of the pot, I went this way since it will be more efficient and have a lower watt density element. The element that is in there is the same as whats in the HLT 5500W apartment water heater element HWD, running it on 120 makes it ULWD. I have not tested it yet hope to get the last parts today according to package tracking and be able to test/ brew this weekend. I will let you know how it goes.

Hope that was enough info let me know if I missed something you wanted to know.

I have my pumps mounted like yours, and I was wondering what you plan on doing (or what other people have done) to clean them out after brew day. I run hot water through everything and then cleanitizer through it all before putting it up, but it seems like there would be stuff caught in the pump head since it's mounted like that.

I've heard of people using compressed air to blow their pump out. That seems awkward, as does taking apart the pump head every time to let it drain and dry. Thoughts, suggestions?

Nice setup by the way. I dig the electronics box.

My plan on the pump is to loosen the 4 wing nuts that hold the seal and let it drain.

I plan to clean in place, rinse then open the pump to let it drain. That is why I left the pump head hanging over the edge of the board it is mounted to so I have a chance at catching what drains. I cant leave it otherwise as my garage will freeze in the winter and I want to be darn sure my equipment works for me every time.

final parts came in yesterday! Got them put on so I am going to the LHBS today to pick up ingredients and water test... first brew tomorrow, almost at the first of the year!

post brew pics please :)

as requested
Before brewing I did water measurements so i would know how much dead space and mark my old spear for gallons in the kegs. (thus all the water on the floor)
IMG_8928.jpg

IMG_8929.jpg

overall the brew day went pretty well... discovered a couple leaks (small drips) that I didnt find during testing and only turned the wrong valve once pouring a small amount of first runnings on the ground, my gravity was a little low (i think that is because I sparged a little faster than i should have?)

It was also quite cold in the garage this morning.... better than outside by a long shot!

Something else i learned while testing the other day... phone wires are crazy... if you wire up a plug on each side and use a phone cord to connect them, the colors dont match, the cord reverses the wires on the other side... talk about a PITA another issue is that not all phone cords have 4 wires some only have two... oops once i got the wires fixed, found the other cord to only have 2 wires it was working like a champ!

So... we got a bonus this year, so the wife said I should do something for me. That means building an all electric rig so I can brew indoors in bad weather. I will keep this updated with my progress.

What I am thinking so far:
5500W keggle for the boil run on a PWM circuit
2000W? RIMs tube run on a PID from my current plastic cooler MT
5500W keggle for the MLT on a PID circuit

I may try to control the output to the two 5500W elements so I can run them both at partial power?

I will be building the stand out of wood and sealed with some deck stain. I thought about using an old computer case for the control panel (but it wont be water proof) not sure if I will, but that would allow low voltage controls for cheep since it already has a power supply.

So far the only things I have on order is the stuff to set up the PWM circuit. I am working on a wiring diagram and a brew stand layout, I will post them when I like them.

Let me know your thoughts or what you would do differently on yours. Thanks ahead of time!

SO Im curious where you got the element parts?
Also, with that much wattage im assuming it's 240V?
Did you just wire all the elements in parallel on a block and then run one 240 wire?

Back