Spike Brewing 12.5 Conical Fermenter Giveaway - Enter Now!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Electric Brewing > Bonus Season... time to upgrade the brew rig (50A 2 tier RIMS)

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-27-2011, 07:58 PM   #1
Lucky_Chicken
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 32 Times on 24 Posts
Likes Given: 4

Default Bonus Season... time to upgrade the brew rig (50A 2 tier RIMS)

So... we got a bonus this year, so the wife said I should do something for me. That means building an all electric rig so I can brew indoors in bad weather. I will keep this updated with my progress.

What I am thinking so far:
5500W keggle for the boil run on a PWM circuit
2000W? RIMs tube run on a PID from my current plastic cooler MT
5500W keggle for the MLT on a PID circuit

I may try to control the output to the two 5500W elements so I can run them both at partial power?

I will be building the stand out of wood and sealed with some deck stain. I thought about using an old computer case for the control panel (but it wont be water proof) not sure if I will, but that would allow low voltage controls for cheep since it already has a power supply.

So far the only things I have on order is the stuff to set up the PWM circuit. I am working on a wiring diagram and a brew stand layout, I will post them when I like them.

Let me know your thoughts or what you would do differently on yours. Thanks ahead of time!

Last edited by Lucky_Chicken; 11-27-2011 at 07:59 PM. Reason: spelling

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-27-2011, 08:47 PM   #2
Lucky_Chicken
Recipes 

what I am thinking on the control panel layout... might be a mirror image depending on how I lay out the stand

plumbing layout...

sorry for any confusion... I'm not exactly a "ProExcel" artist

Old 11-28-2011, 01:03 PM   #3
Lucky_Chicken
Recipes 

would this work for a 50A contactor for the main power relay, since we are dealing with resistave loads?

DP Contactor by VALUE BRAND - Magnetic Contactors by Zoro Tools Industrial Supplies

Old 11-29-2011, 01:27 AM   #4
Lucky_Chicken
Recipes 

Default first crack at the wiring diagram

first crack at the wiring diagram... let me know if you all see any issues... don't laugh at my paint skills

for simplicity i left out the wiring diagrams that are elsewhere on here for the amp meter and the PWM... Thanks to those who posted them!! I will borrow shamelessly.

Will it be a problem that everything runs off of one leg to be caught by the amp meter... should some be run off the other leg?

Old 12-01-2011, 12:03 AM   #5
Lucky_Chicken
Recipes 

Parts have started to arrive...

therefore I had to start working on it... started with the PWM circuit. Who knew I could solder... well at least the first couple looked good.

Something I learned... drinking and electronic assembly doesn't work too well as much as I hate to say it.

now its just waiting on the SSR to get here and some modification to my power supply so I can test it!

Jeremy @ Lucky Chicken Brewery

Electric Build

Kegerator build

Old 12-02-2011, 08:40 AM   #6
trigger
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts
Likes Given: 2

I'm sad nobody has at least given some encouragement yet.

On your diagram, you have the on/off switches for all 3 elements breaking the SSR's control circuit. If one of your ssr's fails closed it'll leave your element powered up. You've got an e-stop, but I would recommend moving those switches to a/the (depending on the element) hot leg between the SSR and element. Also, I'd use the switch to control a mechanical relay that actually closes the element circuit. It keeps you fomr switching the full load power (you can use a smaller control current/voltage to operate the relay, just in case).

One other comment, you don't have any circuit protection in there. You should add appropriately sized fusing or breakers. It's really not 100% necessary, so long as you use wires, switches and lights capable of carrying the full current, but wiring that thing up with 8ga throughout will be a bear. If you throw some fuses in there you'll be able to use much lighter ga wire to power the pid's, power supplies, and basically everythign but the elements. Makes for a cleaner and less frustrating job.

If you want check this out. I'm not saying that you should follow it, but it shows how I wired up my panel.

The power to tax, once conceded, has no limits; it contains until it destroys. I was not joking when I told them to dig into their own pouches. It may not be possible to do away with government — sometimes I think that government is an inescapable disease of human beings. But it may be possible to keep it small and starved and inoffensive — and can you think of a better way than by requiring the governors themselves to pay the costs of their antisocial hobby?

R. A. Heinlein

Old 12-02-2011, 01:30 PM   #7
Lucky_Chicken
Recipes 

I am planning on fuses but didnt put them in the drawing.

The element on indicator will identify if the ssr fails open, letting me know the element is on. I will look into contactors for each element, what size enclosure would you recommend? I am afraid I will run out of room on a fairly large enclosure with what I have now.

Electric Build

Kegerator build

nealperkins Likes This 
Old 12-03-2011, 10:59 PM   #8
smpow
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Cool - congrats on the bonus and have fun building.

Old 12-05-2011, 01:55 PM   #9
Lucky_Chicken
Recipes 

weekend work update...

I got more parts in, still missing fuses and the contactor that was sugested. I have been off the ball and havent ordered the PID's yet, so I am starting with everything else. Here is what I have so far.

Laying out the panel so I will have enough space for the PIDs

first switches mounted

everything but the SSR mounted (waiting for the contactor to make sure I have enough room) wiring started... My wire routing will not look nearly as nice as some others!

let me know your thoughts... should be able to start on the sculpture this week and keg modification.

I still have to figure out what I want to use for a HLT, any sugestions are welcome. I have an aluminum turkey frier that I thought about using (then wont be able to fry turkeys) or a 7.5 gallon ss brew pot. Both would need a bunch of mods.

Electric Build

Kegerator build

Old 12-10-2011, 04:45 AM   #10
Bensiff
Mind Your Business
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 302 Times on 242 Posts
Likes Given: 53

Looking good. The only thing I can say that might be useful (as I'm learning about everything for an electric rig myself) is that regulator (LM317?) on your PWM could probably benefit from a heatsink. I've used a couple of those on stir plate builds and they get pretty hot. I just tossed on a little heatsink I found at radioshack.

Quick Reply