Auber 2362 PID malfunctioning - tips?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Psych

Reaction score
I've contacted Auber about it just awaiting a reply, but my PID which I'm finally able to start testing with has some sort of a heat buildup issue (guessing).

One hot leg and a neutral of a 240v circuit, plugged into 1 and 2 on the 2362 PID, and no matter if anything else is plugged in (RTD or SSR) after 10-15 minutes the temperature starts freaking out and the display start flickering, then it clicks and goes off. Sometimes it comes back, sometimes not.

If this was my old CRT TV I'd whack it on the top right about now and that'd fix it for the night, but I dare not whack my little PID...

This has all the signs of a cold solder point of weak trace to me, any ideas, has this happened to others? Any magic way around it?

This has happened to me one time, but I just unplugged it and plugged it back in and it was good to go.

I was hoping for a quick fix like that, so far nothing...I've checked with my very untrained eye for bad solder points, nothing. Poked each bit of each circuit board while it was running with a chopstick, no change. At a loss...

Pisser is Canada Post is on strike right now so in order to get anything to me I'll need to use UPS or something, maaaann.....bad timing :(

/whine

Stop whacking you little PID. Is that what they call it in Canada?

Seriously sounds like trouble, good thing is Auber is excellent about taking care of customers so the only issue is Canada post.

So far my 2362 has performed correctly!

Yeah Auber's letting me cross ship a new one then will refund my original purchase price for the defective one, good deal. Shame international shipping never gets refunded though, bit of a kick in the taters to pay $30 in shipping for a defective part, but I guess that's the risk of it all.

Beer brewing has more than ever made me wish to have a US residence if for nothing else than shipping parts.

Then I think "oh yeah, but I can buy 55lb bags of base malt for $22.10 Canadian from the local malting company, and I'm happy again :)

Back