208v 5500 watt element

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

iraethan

Reaction score
After exhaustive research and a few headaches, I figured it was time to ask ask a few questions!

I'd like to install a PID controller, SSR with heatsink, thermocouple and a simple on/off switch to this 5500 watt element, all in this box.

First of all, does that all look right, electrically speaking? Anything else I need? I know some people use a terminal block. Do I need one for this application?

As far as electric goes, this involves my second question. I'm running on a 208v circuit. It will be wired to our specification, I was thinking 10/3 wire with a 30amp gfi breaker. Sound good? The 5500 watt element will run at 4131 watts at 208v, which is more than enough for what I need. Anything else I should know when talking to my electrician about 208v vs 240?

Which one would you recommend? It will be submerged pretty much all the time so I don't want to get one that easily rusts.

Yes, 3 phase is available. Like I said, the element will be submerged in water 24 hours a day for long periods of time.

Yea, I know that. I hope you feel better about yourself to make a statement like that without actually helping.

If you knew that then why did you ask the question? The obvious conclusion to be drawn from the fact that you did ask the question is that you didn't know that in which case I would be helping you by making you aware of it. I hope you feel better about yourself for wasting your time and mine.

I really like the look of these. Stainless, fairly put together, not too expensive. Anyone have any experience with them? If I used two of them, I'd probably need 8 gauge wire, though, right? And a 50 amp breaker?

It's your money. Do what you want. But $130 for a 5.5kw element, a box, and a power cord is not a good deal.

I really like the look of these. Stainless, fairly put together, not too expensive. Anyone have any experience with them? If I used
two of them, I'd probably need 8 gauge wire, though, right? And a 50 amp breaker?

Yes, I have 2 4500w coils on a 50 GFCI and I ran 90c wire THWN 8 awg. Both are on there own SCR and PID loop.

If you knew that then why did you ask the question? The obvious conclusion to be drawn from the fact that you did ask the question is that you didn't know that in which case I would be helping you by making you aware of it. I hope you feel better about yourself for wasting your time and mine.

We are all here to help, I asked the question to gauge the knowledge level of the OP. You came in dropping your little pearls of "wisdom" on a question that was not asked of you. I'm trying to help this guy out and all you do is to try to correct me. Congratulations, you got a gold star for correcting something that did not need corrected, now let's stop waisting time and help this guy.

I asked the question to gauge the knowledge level of the OP.
backpeddling.gif

Drama first, AJ's response was anything but rude or insulting. It was stated as matter of fact and just because it was short and to the point doesn't mean panties should be wadded.

OP, the rig you linked to is overpriced for what it is. If it's only for water, a high density element is fine. If you want a full 5500 watts, you can grab this one http://bostonheatingsupply.com/SP10872PL.aspx and then couple it with my 2ETC enclosure if you already have a 2" TC port on your tank. If you're starting from scratch, you might as well stick with the 1.5" TC version instead. http://brewhardware.com/rimsherms-parts-93/176-elementparts

You only need 10/3 SJ or SO cord for 30 amps.

Drama first, AJ's response was anything but rude or insulting. It was stated as matter of fact and just because it was short and to the point doesn't mean panties should be wadded.

OP, the rig you linked to is overpriced for what it is. If it's only for water, a high density element is fine. If you want a full 5500 watts, you can grab this one http://bostonheatingsupply.com/SP10872PL.aspx and then couple it with my 2ETC enclosure if you already have a 2" TC port on your tank. If you're starting from scratch, you might as well stick with the 1.5" TC version instead. http://brewhardware.com/rimsherms-parts-93/176-elementparts

You only need 10/3 SJ or SO cord for 30 amps.

Yea your right and I apologize, i was having a bad day.

That looks really good! I'm going to call them in the morning to inquire with some questions.

The connection is a little different than the normal hot water tank element in that it has bolts with nuts as opposed to the usual screw terminals; not a big deal IMO. There are also threads on both faces of the element and it comes with what appears to be a silicone gasket. I put some water in it to see if it shows any signs of rust but it looks good so far.

The connection is a little different than the normal hot water tank element in that it has bolts with nuts as opposed to the usual screw terminals; not a big deal IMO. There are also threads on both faces of the element and it comes with what appears to be a silicone gasket. I put some water in it to see if it shows any signs of rust but it looks good so far.

I went ahead and placed an order for one. Looks like it could be perfect for us!

Back