Spike Brewing 12.5 Conical Fermenter Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Electric Brewing > 110v Recirculating eBIAB 2.5 gallon batches

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-31-2013, 11:57 AM   #271
ddahl84
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by cheesecake

How many amps does that pull?
It's on a 30a 125v breaker.
Here's my thread for it if you have anymore questions. http://www.homebrewtalk.com/f170/different-e-brewery-380514/

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-01-2013, 12:41 PM   #272
paulfg
Recipes 

question for jrb03 and anyone recirculating BIAB what are you using below the bag?
ie false bottom or hop stopper
I tried a microwave rack supporting my bag and my bazooka hop stopper on my trial setup ,but wonder what I need for my 70 litre pot I am building.
I dont have a steamer basket so would need something to support the bag

thanks in advance Paul

Old 02-01-2013, 02:10 PM   #273
inhousebrew
Recipes 

Liked 121 Times on 110 Posts
Likes Given: 36

My bag pretty much sits on the element and I don't really use anything to support it. I don't now if this is because of the dimensions of my bag but I do need to lift it up a bit to keep it from getting suck up to the SS Elbow I use for a diptube which will restrict liquid incoming to the pump. All I need to do for that though is pull the bag up a bit and put the lid on, works fine!

I hate Walder Frey...

Old 02-02-2013, 07:13 PM   #274
paulfg
Recipes 

thanks inhouse brew doea this mean your hops pass through the pump or do you use a hop bag or reuse the grain bag?

Old 02-02-2013, 07:40 PM   #275
inhousebrew
Recipes 

Liked 121 Times on 110 Posts
Likes Given: 36

Quote:
Originally Posted by paulfg View Post
thanks inhouse brew doea this mean your hops pass through the pump or do you use a hop bag or reuse the grain bag?
Well, I use a plate chiller so I need to be extra careful about hops. I've tried a couple batches just tossing them in there and trying to do a ghetto whirlpool by just stirring the wort and letting it settle which worked ok. I think however I'm going to go back to the hop bag.

Last time I used a bag for boiling hops it got really nasty and clogged up after a bunch of uses. You could lift it up and it would hold wort which would slowly seep out. Not sure if it was the type of bag I used but I'm going to get a new one specifically for hops just to make sure I don't ruin my BIAB bag.

I hate Walder Frey...

Old 02-03-2013, 04:04 AM   #276
jrb03
Recipes 

Liked 15 Times on 9 Posts
Likes Given: 5

My bag touches and rests on the element. I use a hop bag since I use a plate chiller.

Old 02-03-2013, 12:26 PM   #277
paulfg
Recipes 

thanks guys ,I too have a plate chiller and that is why I asked the question.I noticed several people using just a pickup tube in there pot and wondered about the hops in the pump etc.Up to now I have used a bazooka hop filter in my boiler( 5 gallon ,3 vessel setup) and false bottom in the mash tun.However wanting to make a recirculating BIAB 10 gallon, I was wondering what was best considering wort flow during recirculation of mash.
I normally recirculate/whirlpool for the last 10 minutes of the boil to sterilise chiller and was not sure what to go for in the new setup.I think the hop stopper will be the first thing to try as I already have it ,as long as it doesnt clog with hops(bearing in mind I will be doubling my brew length and therefore amount of hops compared with the 3 vessel kit)failing that maybe the hop bag.

Old 02-03-2013, 03:38 PM   #278
Wagon_6
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrb03
My bag touches and rests on the element. I use a hop bag since I use a plate chiller.
You use the Lowe's paint strainer bags, right? Going to brew the first 1.080+ beer on the system next weekend and I noticed with the basket, the mash gets thick with more than 6 #'s.

Old 02-03-2013, 04:27 PM   #279
jawbox
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Finally finished wiring this guy up. Will do a water test this week.

Old 02-03-2013, 10:43 PM   #280
jbnla
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by P-J View Post
It pleases me a great deal that I could help you in your adventure.

Regarding the wire: You will need #12 wire for the power being delivered to the SSR and the heating element. The pump outlet wire should be #14. All of the balance of the wiring can done with much smaller wire gauge as the current draw is very small.

Please feel free to ask any questions that you might have.

Oh: Another benefit of this set up is that it can very easily be converted to a 240V BIAB setup. Think about that and if you would like a plan for that for your future adventures, Please let me know.

Wishing you great success.

P-J
I apologize if I have missed it. The many panel pictures are hard to distinguish the wire sizes. I have not seen any mention of the wire sizes used in the many panel builds. P-J indicated that only the wire to the element outlet and the contact and I assume the SSR # 1 & 2 need to be 12 gauge and the pump outlet wire 14 gauge. Am I correct in that assumption ?
Also the remaining wire to the rest of the switches can be what smaller gauge ? All 22 as Kal indicates or do most of you use larger sizes than his . I would appreciate any help before I get to wiring.

Quick Reply