what is glutton free brewing?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

superjunior

Reaction score
A friend asked me the other day if we could make a glutton free brew for his girlfriend who likes beer but it must be glutton free. she can't have something in the grains :confused: We've been brewing for about a year and a half, doing mostly pm's and extract with grains. not really interested with ag at this point.

Anyhow I told him I'd look into it but I have no idea what glutton free means. I don't even know what glutton is. I read the stickies and the ingredients list but I guess I just need a basic understanding of what I'm looking at here and whats involved. also can this be done using basic extract and pm techniques?
thanks for any help

Gluten is a protein that occurs naturally in wheat, barley & rye. Some people shouldn't consume it because their body reacts to it very badly, some people just choose not to consume it.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gluten

There are bunches of cool GF (gluten-free) recipes on here. hbx posted a link to a really simple GF recipe using sorghum extract and candi syrup in this thread:

https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f164/awesome-gluten-free-mcgee-beer-recipe-242668/

I also posted a really simple starter recipe later on in that thread too.

Hope this helps you get started...

She might have celiacs disease. That's kind of like lactose intolerant, but with wheat, rye, and barley and with a worse reaction.

Glutton Free Brewing is the process of making low carb beers for skinny wankers who don't care about taste, and hate folks with beer bellies. ;)

Gluten Free Brewing is the process of brewing beer using grains that don't contain gluten. Gluten is a protein composite that appears in foods processed from wheat and related species, including barley and rye. It gives elasticity to dough, helping it to rise and to keep its shape, and often giving the final product a chewy texture.

Many people nowaday's seem to be developing a sensitivity to it, causing stomach pain, amongst other things. Celiacs disease is the name for this. It seems to be on the rise around the world.

thanks fellas, that helps a bunch. :mug: guess I'll find out what kind of beer she likes and try to find a similar recipe here

Back