Sorghum Ales

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cruizer8

Reaction score
I am planning on making a sorghum beer for a buddy, but I haven't found many recipes. Would it be a bad idea if I were to find a regular gluten recipe and just substitute sorghum extract for the malt extract? For example with a typical red ale?

Thanks for any input.

No, because most beers require some specialty grains, almost always barley. A red ale uses caramelized barley for color and sweetness.

There are plenty of GF recipes in this section.

Not only what david_42 said, but also that extract beers use combinations of different kinds of malt extracts. (amber, munich, dark, etc)
Our extracts are sorghum, rice and tapioca and they don't have a 1:1 flavor profile to any of the malt extracts.
We make adjustments to hops and other things.

We don't have anything that's like a real red ale yet. We come close with our experiments, but nothing that I've seen called as such. Other than that, what kind are you looking for?

Thanks for the info. Perusing the forum i am finding a wealth of info for GF IPAs but I am not a big IPA fan. What would be some other styles that would lend themselves to GF? Maybe an amber ale or english brown ale?

I suppose it could depend on the ingredients used. Personally, I find that they best go as a lager. Something about that process (and probably that I used part sorghum, part rice syrup and part honey) gave it a traditional lager taste with only a hint of sorghum that I had to tell people about for them to find. After that, I'd go for a citrus ale with coriander, which I find preempts the sorghum flavor, if using sorghum, since the orange takes over and either blends with or masks the sorghum flavor.

I like to use sorghum though. Other people are using things to exclude sorghum.

Back