Spike Brewing 12.5 Conical Fermenter Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Gluten Free Brewing > A little picture for you to enjoy...

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-16-2010, 03:30 AM   #11
patd
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by dorklord View Post
6 lbs of sorghum extract, 1 lb of rice syrup solids, and 12 oz of sugar, and 2 oz maltodextrin.
there was 2 oz of Strisselspalt at 60 min,
1 oz coriander (10 minutes) and 1 oz of fresh orange peel (1 min)

When I bottled, I used sorghum again (12 oz) and 6 more oz of maltodextrin because the beer seemed quite watery.
A couple questions for ya...
Is that the recipe for 5g?
What kind of sugar in the boil?
Would you have bottled with corn sugar if it wasn't 7g and looking thin?
I'm looking to do a first GF beer, and all those ingredients I can get locally so I might give this one a try this weekend

Last edited by patd; 06-16-2010 at 04:26 AM.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-16-2010, 01:25 PM   #12
dorklord
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by patd View Post
A couple questions for ya...
Is that the recipe for 5g?
What kind of sugar in the boil?
Would you have bottled with corn sugar if it wasn't 7g and looking thin?
I'm looking to do a first GF beer, and all those ingredients I can get locally so I might give this one a try this weekend
The recipe is what I actually used. I would have used the corn sugar at bottling if it hadn't been so thin.

And the sorghum extract I used was Breiss (I got it from Northern Brewer, but it is available through other suppliers) not to be confused with sorghum molasses!

That's bread yeast. Look at it sitting there, all depressed. Listless. Beer yeast doesn't look like that. It has hopes. Dreams. Something to look forward to...

Old 06-16-2010, 01:47 PM   #13
GilaMinumBeer
In yo' garage, steelin' yo parts.
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 4680 Times on 4339 Posts
Likes Given: 57

I really need to see what forum these are in before I click. SO NOT what I was expecting.

Old 06-17-2010, 01:44 AM   #14
patd
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by dorklord View Post
The recipe is what I actually used. I would have used the corn sugar at bottling if it hadn't been so thin.

And the sorghum extract I used was Breiss (I got it from Northern Brewer, but it is available through other suppliers) not to be confused with sorghum molasses!
The homebrew store near me had sorghum extract last time I was there, but I'll double check that its not molasses. Did you use corn or candy sugar in the boil?

Old 06-17-2010, 02:32 AM   #15
dorklord
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

From a home brew supply, it is most likely breiss. "Sorghum extract" or "white sorghum extract" sort of stuff sounds good.

And when I boiled, I actually just used cane sugar.

However, I think if you do the math on this, you come out with a pretty high OG for a 'wit' type beer, which is part of why my 7 gallon mistake came out OK.

That's bread yeast. Look at it sitting there, all depressed. Listless. Beer yeast doesn't look like that. It has hopes. Dreams. Something to look forward to...

Old 10-31-2010, 01:33 AM   #16
stefan1011
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 4

Default This recipe makes a great beer

Dorklord- I brewed your recipe a few months back. I let it bottle condition for a little over 3 weeks. I tasted it tonight and it is excellent!!! The only susbtitution was that I used 12 oz. of honey for the boil instead of 12 oz. cane sugar. I used dextrose to bottle prime. The beer was crystal clear in the bottle @ 3 weeks.

The beer had a nice clean finish. I really liked the hops in this one. Definitely will brew this again.

Thanks for sharing the recipe.

Old 11-05-2010, 01:47 AM   #17
andrewdell19
Recipes 

I dont bottle carb anymore as i have a keg system, but are you guys using roasting grains seeping them in the water a while before the boil? More protein equals better head retention. I find if you roast a pound+ in the stove to whatever darkness you like and seep it in the water for an hour before the boil, you will get better head retention PLUS it takes away some of the taste of the sorghum. Seep even more and the less it tastes like sorghum.

Buckwheat, Quinoa, Millet, GF Oats are all very good to use.

Old 11-05-2010, 01:52 AM   #18
Lcasanova
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 9 Times on 8 Posts
Likes Given: 4

Are there any problems with steeping the grains for an hour? I've never tried it but it doesn't sound like a bad idea at all. Might get more color too...?

Old 11-05-2010, 02:03 AM   #19
andrewdell19
Recipes 

You know, I havent had any specific problem seeping the grains for that long. I actually find that like tea, the water just has a stronger taste which I find helps cover up that sorghum. I have tried different grains (buckwheat, GF oats, millet, and quinoa) at dif temps, roasted for dif amounts of time, and then seeped them in water for various amounts of time and took notes. So I have a basic outline of what something will taste like. Of course sorghum is so overpowering that you almost want a really strong "tea" before you boil.

And yes you def get more color. But again the sorghum malt really makes the color lighter. I have had some "teas" almost black but that sorghum (and rice malt extracts) make the boil lighter. I really have to start mashing my own grains as I have 20+ lbs of buckwheat my father in law gave me who is a huge brewer! I am starting to clean out the garage to get an area!

Old 11-05-2010, 02:15 AM   #20
fermentedhiker
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lcasanova View Post
Are there any problems with steeping the grains for an hour? I've never tried it but it doesn't sound like a bad idea at all. Might get more color too...?

Since a mash can run for 45-1hr and beyond I can't see why steeping them would cause a problem. In fact if I was going to bother to steep them that long I'd probably at least make an attempt at a basic infusion mash with alpha amylase to get even more out if it.

I have not failed. I've just found 10,000 ways that won't work.
~Thomas A. Edison

Quick Reply