Kegconnection Complete Starter Kit and More Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Gluten Free Brewing > The Lazy Man's GF Beer

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-17-2013, 07:02 AM   #91
Ash_Mathew
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 16 Times on 14 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Well, here is another anecdote for you. I have been Coeliac for around 27 years. Highly sensitive to the point of even a little bit of flour making me projectile vomit. And yet,I have always been able to drink 'normal' beer with no physical effects apart from the normal effects beer has on people. Although I can't comment on what it has done to parts of my body that I can't see. Which is mostly why I now brew my own fully gluten free beer. However, a few months back I tried 'Duara Gluten Free' beer to find out the 'competition'. It's not gluten free, it's only gluten reduced but for some stupid reason the even more stupid European Union allow it. That's another story. After trying it I started to get a really bad head ache and some serious stomach cramps. To the point of I was unable to sleep all night. So there is either something seriously wrong with the beer, or clarity firm is useless and the chemicals from it make it even worse. A little bit like a really cheap bottle of wine. Looks good in the shop as it will save you a few quid, but you REALLY regret it the next day. All thanks to the chemicals. Long and the short, Clarity Ferm doesn't make it gluten free, just gluten reduced. And it helps to create the terrible beer Daura.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-01-2013, 11:08 PM   #92
KWKSLVR
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by HopAddict View Post
Hi All, just to amplify and clarify on the cautions given above, **Gluten-Reduced still has all the Hordein in it**. If you have Celiac disease (like me), there is no benefit to you from clarity-ferm (or any similar product) or any "reduced-gluten" beer. It does reduce gliadin (gluten from wheat), so if wheat is your only issue, then maybe this is a good thing for you.
My understanding is that there is no way to test for gliadin in the presence of alcohol so there is no way to know what's going on there. When it comes to Hordein, a mass spectrometer will show Hordein "chunks" even if the R5 ELISA test shows nothing. R5 ELISA can only detect COMPLETE amino acid chains. So if you cut the amino acid chain in half or in thirds, it's still detectable under a mass spectrometer.

What they're finding now is that there are only about 90 out of 2700 gluten peptides that cause problems in us. 3 of them appear to be real triggers. Which of these are in which gluten grains are beyond me. The real question is does Brewers Clarex/ClarityFerm cut and isolate those peptides well enough to eliminate autoimmune reactions in most celiac patients? My guess is that maybe it does, maybe it doesn't because everyone is probably a little different. Beer never bothered me like gluten containing foods, but I've avoided it anyway to be on the safe side (minus the occasional Omission).

Personally, I think Omission is the worst thing that has ever happened when it comes to craft brewing and celiac sufferers. Its like Widmer Brothers has quietly given the go ahead to the media to advertise it as being "Gluten Free". I've had to get onto my local Whole Foods twice about placing it in between Redbridge and New Planet. I see blogs and news articles all over the place where it's touted as gluten free. The general public has no clue what they're drinking and that the testing method is inherently flawed.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ash_Mathew View Post
Well, here is another anecdote for you. I have been Coeliac for around 27 years. Highly sensitive to the point of even a little bit of flour making me projectile vomit. And yet,I have always been able to drink 'normal' beer with no physical effects apart from the normal effects beer has on people. Although I can't comment on what it has done to parts of my body that I can't see. Which is mostly why I now brew my own fully gluten free beer. However, a few months back I tried 'Duara Gluten Free' beer to find out the 'competition'. It's not gluten free, it's only gluten reduced but for some stupid reason the even more stupid European Union allow it. That's another story. After trying it I started to get a really bad head ache and some serious stomach cramps. To the point of I was unable to sleep all night. So there is either something seriously wrong with the beer, or clarity firm is useless and the chemicals from it make it even worse. A little bit like a really cheap bottle of wine. Looks good in the shop as it will save you a few quid, but you REALLY regret it the next day. All thanks to the chemicals. Long and the short, Clarity Ferm doesn't make it gluten free, just gluten reduced. And it helps to create the terrible beer Daura.
Nah man, Daura is just plain disgusting... at least by the time it makes it to the states.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply