Gluten Free Chocolate Coffee Stout!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

skemp45

Reaction score
3 Gallon Batch

Grains:
1 lb toasted GF rolled oats(These were soaked in brewed coffee for 10 min then spread on a pan and dried out in the oven then steeped in for 10 minutes at 150-160 Degrees)
2 lbs Belgian Candi Syrup (DARK2) (at 90 min)
3 lbs liquid sorghum extract (at 90 min)

Hops:
16 Grams Columbus (90 min)
20 Grams Columbus (20 min)

Extras:
2oz Coco nibbs at flameout
2oz Coco nibbs dry hopped
6oz brewed coffee dry hopped

Yeast:
Safale S-04

When brewing finished it smelt amazing, lets hope it turns out well!!

gfstout.jpg

3 Gallon Batch

Grains:
1 lb toasted GF rolled oats(These were soaked in brewed coffee for 10 min then spread on a pan and dried out in the oven then steeped in for 10 minutes at 150-160 Degrees)
2 lbs Belgian Candi Syrup (DARK2) (at 90 min)
3 lbs liquid sorghum extract (at 90 min)

Hops:
16 Grams Columbus (90 min)
20 Grams Columbus (20 min)

Extras:
2oz Coco nibbs at flameout
2oz Coco nibbs dry hopped
6oz brewed coffee dry hopped

Yeast:
Safale S-04

When brewing finished it smelt amazing, lets hope it turns out well!!

Looks interesting. Might try it after I taste the one I'm fermenting now.
I would sub-Brown Rice Syrup for the Sorghum

I will have to try that also, see the big taste differences!

I only do small 2 gallon brews and shipping to hawaii to expensive for Sorghum syrup. and locally the guy only has it in 7 lb containers. I can get little over 1 lb of the rice syrup for 6 bucks.

One of the local homebrew stores here went out of business :( and when they did I bought 28lbs of sorghum syrup for $20!!!

That is very interesting technique of soaking the oats in coffee. Have you done this before? How does it compare to cold brewing and adding to secondary? Or, for that mater, adding it to the boil?

Sent from my SGH-M919 using Home Brew mobile app

That is very interesting technique of soaking the oats in coffee. Have you done this before? How does it compare to cold brewing and adding to secondary? Or, for that mater, adding it to the boil?

Sent from my SGH-M919 using Home Brew mobile app

I have never done the soaking before but thought it would be a unique style and hopefully give great results, I will let you know how it turns out!!!

I, too, am curious how this turns out. Looks like it's based on a recipe I find rather familiar...:cool: The idea of soaking the oats in coffee is interesting. Reminds me of the time I tried to "fake" crystal malt by soaking pre-cooked rice flakes in an amylase solution and then baking at low temperature in the oven. I'm pretty sure I've also tried soaking oats in a sugar solution and then baking to caramelize, but I'm not 100% on whether I actually tried that or if it turned out good. Either way, good outside-the-box thinking! That sort of thinking will serve you well in GF brewing!

How'd this turn out? I'm looking for a GF recipe that my wife would like and this sounds right up her alley. Let us know

Cheers :mug:

I was not super happy with the results of this, the coffee really came through to the point of making it too bitter. There was still the slight sourness coming through from the sorghum syrup but in the end the lady liked it a lot, and that's why I made it because she can not have gluten. So I guess when I look at it like that.... success!!!

Help! This is my first batch of beer ever and well it looks wrong... Mine is more of a caramel color and not a dark stout.

Tried to copy the recipe that was listed above.

5 gallon batch
Grains:
1.7 lbs toasted GF rolled oats. (soaked in coffee 15 min, toasted in oven at 350 for 4 hours. Steeped for a hour (had to run a errand for the wife).
3.3 lbs Belgian Dark Candy chips @90 min
5.0 lbs white sorghum extract @90 min

Hops:
26 g Columbus @90
30 g Columbus @20

Extras:
3.3 oz coco nibbs @ flameout
3.3 oz coco nibbs dry hopped
8 oz brewed coffee dry hopped.

Yeast:
Windsor

IG was 1.60

Tasted a sample when put into primary and it was sweet, but good.
Tasted a sample when racked into secondary, it was from the bottom of the primary though (bitter and super hoppy)

Broke hydrometer so I wasn't able to grab a SG reading when I racked it.

Here are some pics of what it looks like :confused:

Thanks,
B

IMG_0152.jpg

IMG_0154.jpg

By "3.3 lbs Belgian Dark Candy chips" do you mean the kind that looks like large sugar crystals?
If so, then my guess is that is your issue. The Belgian candy syrup needs to be inverted sugar syrup not the crystals. The crystals are more like putting granulated sugar in. You should buy D90 or D180 Belgian Candy Syrup.

Although it is not what you were shooting for, your batch will probably come out fine. Gives you an excuse to brew another one right away!

Yeah, what was said above. Needed to be the liquid not the crystals, let us know how it's turns out though

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

I kinda of like this. A coffee amber. Hmmm... Interested how this comes out.

Sent from space for your convenience

Thanks everyone. I will definitely let you guys know how it turns out. I must have told the guy at my LHBS the wrong thing as he gave me the chips (rock candy looking stuff). Live and learn right?

Second question:
I kept it in the primary for 7 days and then I'll keep it in the secondary for another 7 days before bottling/kegging? Or should it be in the secondary for longer?

If it fails at least the batch of hard cider I'm making will be good.

Thanks,
B

From what I have read you consider racking off of the trub if you are going to ferment longer than 2 weeks. If you are going to go only 2 weeks then don't take the chance of infection by exposing to air etc. If you took the trouble to rack off of the trub into a secondary, I would leave it at least two weeks in the secondary.

Basic thing is to consider how it is doing in the secondary and maybe take a sample gravity reading to make sure it is done. I usually go 1 week in the primary and then two weeks in the secondary, but on a couple of batches, where I used Nottingham or Windsor yeast, I had to leave an extra two weeks in the secondary to make sure it was done. IMHO go at least two weeks in the secondary, let the beer tell you when it is done and then go just a bit longer.

I had one good experience with Windsor yeast and one bad one. Two bad experiences with Nottingham. Consider using Safale US-05. I have had nothing but good experiences with that yeast and I only brew GF beer. Others have good things to say about Safale US-04 also, but I have not used it yet.

Thanks everyone. I will definitely let you guys know how it turns out. I must have told the guy at my LHBS the wrong thing as he gave me the chips (rock candy looking stuff). Live and learn right?

Second question:
I kept it in the primary for 7 days and then I'll keep it in the secondary for another 7 days before bottling/kegging? Or should it be in the secondary for longer?

If it fails at least the batch of hard cider I'm making will be good.

Thanks,
B

How did yours end up turning out?

By "3.3 lbs Belgian Dark Candy chips" do you mean the kind that looks like large sugar crystals?
If so, then my guess is that is your issue. The Belgian candy syrup needs to be inverted sugar syrup not the crystals. The crystals are more like putting granulated sugar in. You should buy D90 or D180 Belgian Candy Syrup.

Although it is not what you were shooting for, your batch will probably come out fine. Gives you an excuse to brew another one right away!

warning, a somewhat unrelated tangent here! ;)

I had a LHBS employee try to sell me the crystals (because he was out of the syrup) implying that they were the same thing. I am glad I didn't buy the crystals. I love suggestions but when I get bad advice from a shop I think twice about returning. Its kind of like the last two times I went into another shop around here and they offer me clarex when I ask for GF fermentables. "Clarex makes gf beer". WTF :drunk:

Back