Happy HolidaySs Giveaway - Last Sponsor Giveaway of the Year!

Come Enter the BrewDeals/FastFerment Giveaway!


Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Gluten Free Brewing > GF Tripel Recipe
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-16-2010, 09:48 PM   #21
aggieotis
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Austin, TX
Posts: 168
Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 11

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by dorklord View Post
Unfortunately, there's not one of those (or a whole foods) within a hundred miles of here.

I checked the various grocery stores (woodmans, festival, didn't bother checking walmart) and the coop. The other choices are basically to order it, I think Bob's Red Mill lists it, but there' I'm looking at 10 bucks for a 1.5 lb bag, plus shipping...ouch.

If only I could reverse mill the quinoa flour back into grain
Just use your Millet and Buckwheat. Nothing around this forum is a set and sure thing. Could be you find the perfect mixture.

Although, I think Quinoa is probably the closest GF to wheat grain due to the nutrient profile from www.nutritiondata.com
Non-GF Grains Carbs/Fats/Protein; Fullness Factor/ND Weighting; %RDA of Calcium/Iron;
Wheat: 71/16/13; 3.4/4.6; 4/34
Barley: 87/3/10; 2.9/3.3; 6/28
Rye: 81/6/13; 2.4/3.7; 6/25
Oats: 70/15/15; 2.2/3.5; 8/41

GF Grains
Quinoa: 70/15/15; 2.0/3.6; 8/43
Millet: 80/9/11; 2.0/3.1; 2/33
Buckwheat: 79/8/13; 2.1/3.5; 3/21
Sorghum: 89/8/3; 2.0/2.9; 5/47
Oats: 70/15/15; 2.2/3.5; 8/41
Chestnuts: 89/4/7; 1.6/3.5; 1/4
Amaranth: 71/16/13; 2.0/3.9; 31/82
Teff: 80/6/14; 2.0/3.8; 35/82

The numbers are definitely fudgy at best and miss a lot of the important micronutrients like FAN, but the crude profile indicates that for Beer production:
Wheat ~ Amaranth, Quinoa
Barley ~ Sorghum, Chestnuts
Rye ~ Millet, Buckwheat, Teff
Oats ~ GF Oats (duh), Quinoa, Amaranth
__________________
aggieotis is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-16-2010, 11:18 PM   #22
dorklord
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: La Crosse, Wisconsin
Posts: 578
Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by aggieotis View Post
Just use your Millet and Buckwheat. Nothing around this forum is a set and sure thing. Could be you find the perfect mixture.

Although, I think Quinoa is probably the closest GF to wheat grain due to the nutrient profile from www.nutritiondata.com
Non-GF Grains Carbs/Fats/Protein; Fullness Factor/ND Weighting; %RDA of Calcium/Iron;
Wheat: 71/16/13; 3.4/4.6; 4/34
Barley: 87/3/10; 2.9/3.3; 6/28
Rye: 81/6/13; 2.4/3.7; 6/25
Oats: 70/15/15; 2.2/3.5; 8/41

GF Grains
Quinoa: 70/15/15; 2.0/3.6; 8/43
Millet: 80/9/11; 2.0/3.1; 2/33
Buckwheat: 79/8/13; 2.1/3.5; 3/21
Sorghum: 89/8/3; 2.0/2.9; 5/47
Oats: 70/15/15; 2.2/3.5; 8/41
Chestnuts: 89/4/7; 1.6/3.5; 1/4
Amaranth: 71/16/13; 2.0/3.9; 31/82
Teff: 80/6/14; 2.0/3.8; 35/82

The numbers are definitely fudgy at best and miss a lot of the important micronutrients like FAN, but the crude profile indicates that for Beer production:
Wheat ~ Amaranth, Quinoa
Barley ~ Sorghum, Chestnuts
Rye ~ Millet, Buckwheat, Teff
Oats ~ GF Oats (duh), Quinoa, Amaranth
I was in luck today, I went to pick up some other stuff at the grocery store, and there it was: quinoa.

It was expensive, but I got it. I didn't get much, so...hopefully I don't need to many attempts at roasting.

So, when you said soak and toast...is that procedure outlined someplace? And if so, how 'toasty' do I want?
__________________
dorklord is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-16-2010, 11:38 PM   #23
DKershner
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Bend, OR
Posts: 1,870
Liked 25 Times on 21 Posts

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by dorklord View Post
I was in luck today, I went to pick up some other stuff at the grocery store, and there it was: quinoa.

It was expensive, but I got it. I didn't get much, so...hopefully I don't need to many attempts at roasting.

So, when you said soak and toast...is that procedure outlined someplace? And if so, how 'toasty' do I want?
http://www.homebrewtalk.com/f164/gra...-times-144842/

That last question should be answered by you!
DKershner is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-17-2010, 12:02 AM   #24
dorklord
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: La Crosse, Wisconsin
Posts: 578
Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by dkershner View Post
http://www.homebrewtalk.com/f164/gra...-times-144842/

That last question should be answered by you!
Well, I guess, "What's the normal roasting level for a wit". I assume fairly low.
__________________
dorklord is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-17-2010, 02:44 AM   #25
Lcasanova
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
Lcasanova's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Park Ridge, IL
Posts: 1,043
Liked 10 Times on 9 Posts
Likes Given: 4

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by dorklord View Post
Well, I guess, "What's the normal roasting level for a wit". I assume fairly low.
In the Wit I made I didn't even use grains and it turned out great. But if I were going to roast grains for it myself, I'd watch them pretty closely and pull them once they started to turn color- otherwise you'll get a darker result. In my experience, the grain is almost always darker after a few weeks of wafting than when I pulled them from the oven.

Oh- and apparently roasting the grains wet brings out more color- so if you do this, keep a good eye on them!
__________________
Lucky 13 Brewing Company
Est. 2009
Lcasanova is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-18-2010, 12:18 AM   #26
dorklord
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: La Crosse, Wisconsin
Posts: 578
Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by lcasanova View Post
In the Wit I made I didn't even use grains and it turned out great. But if I were going to roast grains for it myself, I'd watch them pretty closely and pull them once they started to turn color- otherwise you'll get a darker result. In my experience, the grain is almost always darker after a few weeks of wafting than when I pulled them from the oven.

Oh- and apparently roasting the grains wet brings out more color- so if you do this, keep a good eye on them!
What did you use for the fermentables?

I'm afraid of getting in trouble for smoking up the house, so I might wait for at least a batch to get to the drinkable stage before I start in on that. I've got plenty of sorghum, maltodextrin, and rice solids, coriander and orange peel, so I think I'm ready to brew something GF on Saturday. If my tripel is ready to transfer, great, if not, I'll just go a little light on my ingredients and shoot for a 4 gallon batch.
__________________
dorklord is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-18-2010, 02:50 PM   #27
Lcasanova
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
Lcasanova's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Park Ridge, IL
Posts: 1,043
Liked 10 Times on 9 Posts
Likes Given: 4

Default

Sorghum was the main fermentable, I may have used brown rice syrup and some maltodextrin but Im not sure. If I can get my laptop to work today I'll edit this post and let you know.

__________________
Lucky 13 Brewing Company
Est. 2009
Lcasanova is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-18-2010, 04:04 PM   #28
dorklord
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: La Crosse, Wisconsin
Posts: 578
Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by lcasanova View Post
Sorghum was the main fermentable, I may have used brown rice syrup and some maltodextrin but Im not sure. If I can get my laptop to work today I'll edit this post and let you know.
That would be awesome, I'm planning on making a Wit first, and I don't want to wait for roasted buckwheat and whatnot...maybe after the first few batches.

If nothing else, I'll just go with 6 lbs sorghum, 1 lb rice syrup solids, an ounce or 2 of maltodextrin...I suppose a half pound of sugar or so wouldn't hurt either.

I keep checking the airlock on the non-GF Tripel, and it keeps bubbling (it had dropped from a bubble every 1-2 seconds to a bubble ever 5-6 by last night) and I don't think it is going to be ready to rack to secondary this weekend. Oh well, good things come to he who waits...
__________________
dorklord is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-20-2010, 05:58 AM   #29
Lcasanova
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
Lcasanova's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Park Ridge, IL
Posts: 1,043
Liked 10 Times on 9 Posts
Likes Given: 4

Default

Alright, I finally got my laptop to work again so....

I used 7 lbs of sorghum syrup and 8 oz of maltodextrine for my wit. I also made a saison where I used 6 lbs of sorghum syrup 1 lb of rice syrup solids 1 lb 8 oz of clear candi sugar and 1 lb 4 oz of brown sugar. They both turned out similar in color but the wit is still hazy. I'll throw one in the fridge tonight and take a picture for you tomorrow.

Edit- I just threw both of them in the fridge, the wit is still cloudy as hell and the saison is crystal clear...I brewed the wit in November and the saison last month.

__________________
Lucky 13 Brewing Company
Est. 2009

Lcasanova is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Reply



Quick Reply
Message:
Options
Thread Tools


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
All-Grain Tripel - my first recipe MBM30075 Recipes/Ingredients 9 07-09-2009 03:49 PM
Belgian Tripel Recipe help! Jayfro21 Recipes/Ingredients 15 02-11-2009 07:26 AM
Need IPA Tripel recipe Will b Recipes/Ingredients 10 07-02-2008 08:35 PM
Chimay Tripel Recipe? Benny Blanco Recipes/Ingredients 3 01-21-2008 05:14 AM



Newest Threads

LATEST SPONSOR DEALS