Yeast rehydrating question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

-Liam-

Reaction score
I brewed my 2nd batch on Saturday and things seemed to go fairly smoothly, except for the part when I forgot to add Irish Moss (which I quickly learned on these forums that it's not a big deal). Anyway, as I was on my way to work today, I was going over the steps of the brew in my head and realised that I forgot to boil my yeast rehydration water! A shallow Krausen formed on the top of the wort within 12 hrs and it seems to be fermenting away, albeit quite slowly and steadily. Is it a problem that I forgot to boil the tap water?

If fermentation has started,you are probably fine. The yeast have take over the environment and will do their work. CO2, alcohol and hops will help to protect your beer. There is a slight chance of infection or that a wild yeast took hold, but it is very unlikely. RDWHAHB

That's good to know. I would hate to have slipped up badly on something so simple!

Add me to the "nothing to worry about" camp. Let 'er ride.

I have never boiled rehydration water and that includes my wine making also. Just don't use Distilled, DI, or RO water, you want some ions present.

Back