Yeast Options : Opinions Needed

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gregc1973

Reaction score
I have a partial mash kit for a wheat stout from Austin HomeBrew.

http://www.austinhomebrew.com/Beer/Stouts/AHS-Wheat-Stout-13E.html#.VM0jbP54qAw

I sat on it for too long and now the liquid yeast that I had (White Labs WLP013) is past the BB date and I don't think the the starter took. I went to my LBS and all the yeast they had was the dry yeast Munich Danstar wheat beer yeast. I'm very new at brewing, but from what I can tell I have 3 options:

1. Try and pitch the starter that from the liquid yeast that I have, if it doesn't take, try the dry yeast.
2. Pitch both the liquid and dry yeast at the same time
3. Drive a really long distance in the next few minutes to the next available LHBS to get the right yeast
4. Pitch just the dry yeast.

Any experts have an opinion on the right approach? Appreciate the advice.

I have a partial mash kit for a wheat stout from Austin HomeBrew.

http://www.austinhomebrew.com/Beer/Stouts/AHS-Wheat-Stout-13E.html#.VM0jbP54qAw

I sat on it for too long and now the liquid yeast that I had (White Labs WLP013) is past the BB date and I don't think the the starter took. I went to my LBS and all the yeast they had was the dry yeast Munich Danstar wheat beer yeast. I'm very new at brewing, but from what I can tell I have 3 options:

1. Try and pitch the starter that from the liquid yeast that I have, if it doesn't take, try the dry yeast.
2. Pitch both the liquid and dry yeast at the same time
3. Drive a really long distance in the next few minutes to the next available LHBS to get the right yeast
4. Pitch just the dry yeast.

Any experts have an opinion on the right approach? Appreciate the advice.

If it were me, I'd rehydrate and pitch the dry yeast. Google how to do that and do it carefully and you should be golden.

Well, either yeast will work. They'll just make dramatically different beers.

As far as your starter, did you get a color change in the starter wort? From wort-ish color to that milky tan yeasty color? If you did, you're probably ok. However, if the yeast was past the best by, unless this was a big starter on a stir plate, it's probably not enough yeast even if the starter did its job perfectly.

There's probably no point in pitching both. The two characters really aren't comparable and I don't see that ending well. If you're not going to go get new yeast, then pitch the dry. Definitely rehydrate it first.

Did you keep the yeast refrigerated? What was the SG of the starter you made? I've revived year old yeast that was stored at 35F. I've had older yeast that took as long as 4 1/2 days to start, and it finished just fine.

Unless your liquid yeast was exposed to temperatures in the region of 150 F, it will still be viable. I keep liquid yeast for 2+ years in the fridge and it wakes up just fine.

The viability will be lower than fresh, and you might not see much in a starter. Is there more sediment (yeast) on the bottom of the starter than you would expect in the original pack? If so, the starter worked.

I'd put the starter in the fridge overnight, decant off most of the liquid in the morning, and make another starter. It should go just fine.

Latest posts

Back