Yeast Killers

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

stevenenglund

Reaction score
So I'm at the Dollar store, and see "instant grape soda." They're individual packets you dump in a glass of water to make instant grape drink. Stuff tastes crazy strong- like condensed childhood. They had orange, grape, etc.

Gets me to thinking, "what are the yeast killers in the world?" In other words, what could be in this packet that would make it un-fermentable? Can we start a massive list of any wacky ingredients or preservatives that will prevent yeast from fermenting? Yes I know just because something is fermentable doesn't mean it will make a great tasting drink. But I like being experimental and it would help to have a comprehensive PROVEN list to cross reference.

In this Orange Crush Singles To Go, it's marketed as "Naturally & Artificially Flavored Non-Carbonated Low Calorie Drink Mix" you will find:

Citric Acid, Natural and Artificial Flavors, Aspartame (Phenylketonurics: Contains Phenylalanine), Maltodextrin, Contains 2% or Less of the Following: Magnesium Oxide, Artificial Color, Acesulfame Potassium, Yellow 5, Red 40.

So shall we start this list of chemicals?! :ban:

Looks like nothing in there to hurt yeast, but with artificial sweeteners instead of sugars there is nothing for the yeast to ferment...

How much sugar is there actually in there? With more aspartame than maltodextrin and acesulfame potassium (another sweetener) in there as well, what ABV are you actually going to get, and how sweet will the result be? I assume it's marketed as low calorie because it doesn't actually have much sugar in it.

Back