Is this yeast flocculation?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

troyh

Reaction score
I just started all-grain and to learn as quickly as possible brewed my first 6 beers in 8 days. The last one, a barleywine with US-05 that I hydrated before pitching, is doing this:

http://troyhakala.tumblr.com/post/28174699480/lots-of-flocculation

I've never seen this (or never noticed) before in any extract beers I've brewed over the years and I've never used dry yeast before. The other 5 beers I just brewed didn't do this. What is going on? Is it flocculation? Cold break moving around through yeast activity? Is this a dry yeast thing? Not worried, just trying to learn.

The clumps are certainly yeast that have flocculated. Once your fermentation is complete, those babies will drop out and compact into since yeast cake. That's a pretty warm fermentation- I recommend trying to keep that yeast between 63-68F. Cheers!!

Brulosopher said:
The clumps are certainly yeast that have flocculated. Once your fermentation is complete, those babies will drop out and compact into since yeast cake.

Why haven't any of my other beers done this?

Brulosopher said:
That's a pretty warm fermentation- I recommend trying to keep that yeast between 63-68F. Cheers!!

Yeah, it's in the coldest room of the house at 69°. I could move it outside I guess but it gets down to the low 50s at night.

kh54s10 said:
No, That is the yeast feeding and churning up the wort. That is a good thing.

Quick answer is that flocculation is the clumping and settling out of yeast cells after fermentation has finished.

From White Labs:http://www.whitelabs.com/beer/Flocculation_help.pdf

Actually... flocculation is just the clumping, not the settling out. Those yeast have effectively flocc'd ;)

Back