Spike Brewing 12.5 Conical Fermenter Giveaway - Enter Now!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Fermentation & Yeast > Wyeast 3068 Weihenstephan Weizen questions

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-17-2011, 02:40 PM   #21
Boerderij_Kabouter
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 118 Times on 102 Posts
Likes Given: 11

In that case I would definitely give it the full two weeks in the fermenter. The bottle condition or keg, wait three weeks, and enjoy.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-17-2011, 02:42 PM   #22
monty67
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Ok, still have a week and a half to go before i can bottle this one. Forgot what it is like to have to wait, and then wait for bottle condition, then start another cause you know that one brew is not going to last. I think i'm gonna have to pick up a few sixers to tide me over. I'll let everyone know how this turned out. thanks for all the replys.

Old 02-21-2011, 03:35 AM   #23
greatschmaltez
Recipes 

Liked 14 Times on 13 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Monty... I just brewed with this yeast on Friday (same pitch rate => activator pack) and am basically seeing everything you are. The sulfur smell made me think I had some sort of mold in my house at first until I realized that it was the fermenter. I used a blow off tube and got a mild fermentation as well... already slowed down to about 1 bubble every 20 seconds. I keep my AC on for about 67 degrees (the wife just has to suffer through it) so I was surprised. Anyways, let me know what your FG ends up being... I'll assume if you make target then I will too since everything seems about the same.

Old 03-15-2011, 05:42 PM   #24
monty67
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

So even after four weeks and a little bit of primary swishing to try and get the fermentation going a little more I ended up with an FG of about 1.019. A little upset about that. The temps were right on lower sixties and they stayed constant for the whole month.

As for the flavor it is a bit heavier in flavors than when i've used the Bavarian style yeast to make this recipie as an extract only brew. This is basically a Pauliner clone and for me is usually a lighter style german wheat. This 3068 yeast turned it up to the heavier style wheat profiles i've had in some of the bigger german wheats. Something that i was trying to avoid as I'm not a huge fan of the big malty clovy wheats. Doh!

BUT, I will say that this has got to be one of the better beers I've done. I think a lot had to do with the extended primary aging, though i would have liked to have gotten it off at 3 weeks. Also the fermentation temps were probably the most consistent I've had them. The other thing was this was my first partial mash. We'll see how the final brew comes out after they've carbed up and chilled in the fridge for a few days. If it turns out as good as I hope then i might just be a convert to doing minimashes for all my beers.

Will follow up with the actual beer in a few weeks.

Old 03-16-2011, 01:53 PM   #25
greatschmaltez
Recipes 

Monty, I ended up with about 13-14ish after 2 weeks. I'm wondering if you maybe just got a bad batch or mashed in to hot. I did end up with sulfur hanging around still, probably had to do with small temp swings during fermentation.

I definitely am going to try another hefe with this yeast but will make a starter. Now I have a fermentation chamber with temp control also so I think those 2 things will keep the sulfur down. I think I'm gonna ferment right around 66 or 67 next time. That seems to be the sweet spot for this yeast based on what I've read. I'll also keep it in a secondary fermentor until the sulfur disappears completely.

My current batch is drinkable, but i think with these improvements, the beer could come out really nice.

Old 03-16-2011, 03:31 PM   #26
coryforsenate
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts
Likes Given: 2

I used it to make a weizenbock. I never noticed any sulfur.

Triple dococted that baby. It was fantastic.

Hefeweizen
Hard Cider
Tripel w/wine tannins
Weizenbock

Primary
Dark Strong
Tripel

Old 03-16-2011, 09:47 PM   #27
erikpete18
Recipes 

Liked 32 Times on 30 Posts

Quote:
This 3068 yeast turned it up to the heavier style wheat profiles i've had in some of the bigger german wheats. Something that i was trying to avoid as I'm not a huge fan of the big malty clovy wheats.
Yeah, I would say if you try this guy out again, ferment a little warmer like greatschmaltez mentioned. I just got finished drinking a dunkelweisse I brewed with this one and actually wanted the heavier flavors like you got, but they weren't nearly as strong as I was aiming for. That time I pitched a "correct" sized starter and fermented at around 65, and while the flavors are there they are kind of hidden. Since that sounds like what you're looking for, I'd give that a shot! Plus, with that yeast I feel like you need some of the banana flavors that you get at the slightly higher temps to balance out the clove.

Next time I'm thinking I'll pitch about a half-size starter (or less) and ferment either a little warmer (68-70) or lower (60-62) and see how it turns out, but it sounds like I prefer my hefes, the opposite of you

Old 08-04-2012, 01:59 AM   #28
jww
Recipes 

I only use this yeast when brewing a traditional Heff. use a 7 gallon carboy or 14 gallon fermentor depending on batch size. Occasionally have to use a overflow tube. I usually ferment at 70-72 degress for 6-7 days before transfering or dumping the yeast bed. Fermentation last 5 days. Have never had sulfur issues, although during most active fermentation period (2-3 days) there is a bit of sulfur smell. I find that at 70-72 degrees with a total of 12 days in the fermenter creates a great ballance of clove and banana with a slight spice. Every time I brew my favorit Heff recipe with this yeast the beer seems to dissapear very quickly

Old 10-23-2012, 02:55 PM   #29
rhcp313
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

I wish I would have read this a few days ago. My stirplate setup was occupied for a 1968 starter, so I decided to pitch this into a dunkel using only the smack pack. I figured because it was on the lower end of the optimal cell count (~100 bil) that I could get away with a loosely fitting blow off rig. I got home from work and had quite a mess to clean up.

I've been brewing for 4 years, and this is my first "messy" blow off mess.

Can I expect under attenuation due to the loss of yeast from my bucket into the blow off vessel?

Old 10-23-2012, 03:10 PM   #30
greatschmaltez
Recipes 

You'll be fine on the attenuation, you should use a starter with this yeast in the future, even for lower gravity beers. Also temp control is a must on this one. To low of a pitching rate/high temperatures can result in some sour/sulfur tastes and smells.

Quick Reply