Wyeast 1968 London ESB - surprisingly flocculant?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TheJasonT

Reaction score
Greetings,

I made a starter yesterday for the Peace Coffee Stout kit I received from Northern Brewer. I hit about 13 degrees Plato on it or about 1.054. It's a 1400ml starter.

The yeast shipped from NB with the cold pack in about 3-3.5 days. It has a date code of 4/10/13 and swelled up just fine within about 2 hours.

I woke up this morning to find this:

image-800057449.jpg

And when I turn the stir plate off, it settle to this in less than ten seconds:

image-4247584099.jpg

Am I just crazy or is this ridiculously flocculant? It smells fine yet looks really funky!

Anyone have experience with 1968 that would show me I'm not crazy?

Thanks,
Jason

I have made 2 ESB's with that yeast. I like it a lot. I have not done a starter with it before though, since I just started doing them recently.

It's normal for that strain. And for future reference, you want your starters to be about 1.035 - 1.040 to provide an optimal low stress growth environment. 1.054 is too high.

Yeah, I had quite a bit of concentration. I went from 2000ml of water and 191g of extract to 1400ml and 1.054. I think my boil on it was pretty damn high.

TheJasonT said:
Yeah, I had quite a bit of concentration. I went from 2000ml of water and 191g of extract to 1400ml and 1.054. I think my boil on it was pretty damn high.

You really only need to boil for a few minutes. All you are doing is dissolving the DME and sanitizing :)

It was only an 11 minute boil but it was in a larger pasta pot so I had a lot of surface area. Gonna have to turn the heat down some next time.

Fuller yeast, drops like a rock. But watch the fermentation temps. This one will go off pretty quick when it gets too warm.

Latest posts

Back